Beware Of Electronic Cigarettes; They May Not Be As Advertised

Christopher

Beware of electronic cigarettes; they may not be as advertised

By Michael Miller

Posted: July 17, 2010

Much attention has been devoted to the "go-live" date of Wisconsin's clean indoor air legislation - and rightly so. The smoke-free law, which bans smoking in all public and commercial buildings (including restaurants, taverns and nursing homes), is good for the public health of everyone who lives in and visits Wisconsin.

The good news is that rates of quitting rise each year, and people who quit at any age are taking positive steps for their health and the health of those around them. The other good news is how much help is available to assist those who have made the decision to stop smoking or using smokeless tobacco.

The statistics say that roughly 5% of people who quit on their own are successful but that every time you make an attempt to quit, your odds of success go up - so continuing to try is a good thing. Nicotine replacement therapies, such as patches, nicotine gum, nicotine lozenges and nicotine inhalers, increase these odds significantly. They are available by prescription and over the counter, and many health plans pay for prescriptions for such medications.

But while medical organizations and public health agencies work to reduce the health burden of smoking in our communities, commercial entities still try to make their living selling tobacco products or gimmicks to replace tobacco. Targeting kids, manufacturers develop fruit-flavored smokeless tobacco products, hoping new users will try them.

Electronic cigarettes have been touted as a useful option, but evidence to support their use is lacking. The Food and Drug Administration has not yet been granted authority to regulate electronic cigarettes as nicotine delivery devices, and without regulation, we have an environment in which every e-cigarette is different, the doses of nicotine vary and are unpredictable and the medium in which the nicotine is vaporized (which is most often ethylene glycol, an ingredient in antifreeze) varies from product to product.

The health effects of exposure - to the user or the bystander - to the "mist" emitted from the tip of e-cigarettes is not known. These products are being marketed as less harmful than cigarettes and as a smoking-cessation aid. Because the American Medical Association was concerned about the safety and confusing marketing messages of electronic cigarettes, it adopted policy recommending that e-cigarettes be classified as a drug-delivery device and subject to FDA review.

So there are options, and there is hope, for all people still addicted to tobacco, and there is the reality now that customers can visit any business and workers can take any job and not be exposed to secondhand smoke in Wisconsin. More needs to happen, however.

Employers, who know how tobacco-related health problems affect their workers' health and productivity and the owners' bottom line, need to insist that health insurers address nicotine addiction as a disease and offer a full range of counseling, family therapy, medication management and other services, so that employees aren't left to pay for their own treatment out-of-pocket. All of us need to recognize that nicotine addiction is a disease, and patients deserve our compassion and encouragement to quit smoking, not our scorn if they haven't quit yet. And consumers need to remain wary of marketers trying to make a buck selling either tobacco or unproven approaches to smoking cessation.

As we celebrate this significant step in Wisconsin's history, let's all thank state Sen. Fred Risser (D-Madison) and the public officials who have been his allies in this ongoing battle. We are approaching the 50th anniversary of the 1964 Surgeon General's Report on Smoking and Health, which was the pivotal event in refocusing our nation's consciousness, policies and laws regarding tobacco and health. Let's aim to make Wisconsin No. 1 on measures of success in having our citizens be smoke- and tobacco-free.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/opinion/98637909.html

I suggest leaving some comments. Vapor Talk Army time!

This guy is obviously a moron. The good news is I have a couple meetings setup with some bars in Wisconsin. Hopefully they like they idea and can offer there patrons a way to still get there nicotine indoors.

I really think regulation would be the best possible thing to happen to the industry. While many people resist government involvement consider this:

1) Regulation would end the movement to ban the devices

2) Quality standards would be set up and installed

3) Scams and overpriced devices would be removed/reduced from the market

4) A real, exhaustive study of the devices could finally be performed

5) Commercial and wide public acceptance would also be possible

Most notably the reduction of bans and high quality standards would be the most attractive benefits. Yes, this would come as a price but I think this ultimately would be similar to the pharmaceutical industry where low cost alternatives would be available while assurance of safety and availability of the product would be provided.

I am not willing to pay more and be taxed to death by the government.

$14.50 for cigs in some places in NY.

there are way to many places to get good info on where to buy ecig things from to even think about dealing with the crooks of our government.

I have a feeling vaping will become a cash cow for the politicians .I think they will latch onto the one carto = a pack of smokes and tax acordingly.The strength will also be regulated and I doubt you will get the strength most are acustomed to.State and federal goverenments are feeling the pain already as I think they finaly added one tax too many this last go around.

Instead of words, I'll make a sound: BOOOOO!!!!!!

This guy obviously has not done his research. Bad reporter BAD!

E-cigs are indeed a PROVEN way to stop smoking, and furthermore, they make ex-smokers HEALTHIER!!!!! It has no effect of by-standers, because it evaporates into nothing within about a foot or two, and goes up into the air. It's more like a fog machine. For some reason these people don't think its being tested, but we are all walking proof its being tested and WORKING!!! Once again, BOOOO at the stupid reporter, BOOOO!!!!

I'm surprised no one noticed that he said nicotine is carried by ethylene glycol, not PROPYLENE glycol. bad journalism, didn't even do his homework.

I am not willing to pay more and be taxed to death by the government.

$14.50 for cigs in some places in NY.

there are way to many places to get good info on where to buy ecig things from to even think about dealing with the crooks of our government.

I am with this 100%. Anytime the government scum gets involved it can never be a good thing for us. They just want their piece of the pie. :thumbsdown:

The whole antifreeze thing just pisses me off!!!! :angry: These people need to learn their chemicals!!! Just shows what kind of people run our country! But who am i? Just a high school graduate that knows the difference!!!!!!!!

I'm loving that EVERY SINGLE comment BLASTED his sorry lies!!

Edited by ThaHodgehound

The whole antifreeze thing just pisses me off!!!! :angry: These people need to learn their chemicals!!! Just shows what kind of people run our country! But who am i? Just a high school graduate that knows the difference!!!!!!!!

I'm loving that EVERY SINGLE comment BLASTED his sorry lies!!

Actually... Propolyne Glycol (a version of it) is found in antifreeze... but what they don't specify is that its harmless unless ingested *while* in antifreeze...

From a website:

" Propylene Glycol (PG, Polyethylene Glycol (PEG), and Ethylene Glycol (EG) are all petroleum derivatives that act as solvents, surfactants, and wetting agents. They can easily penetrate the skin, and can weaken protein and cellular structure. In fact, PG penetrates the skin so quickly that the EPA warns factory workers to avoid skin contact, to prevent brain, liver, and kidney abnormalities. PG is present in many stick deodorants, often in heavier concentration than in most industrial applications. (Nyack, Dr. Vin, Ph.D., Biochemist; personal communication). And Propylene Glycol is what is used to carry the “active” ingredients in those transdermal patches INTO YOUR BODY

Imagine a bottle of Anti-Freeze in a picture with shampoos, deodorants, cosmetics, lotions and toothpastes?

The question you should be asking is …. What’s Anti-Freeze doing IN my shampoos, deodorants, cosmetics, lotions and toothpaste?

Yes, the main ingredient in anti-freeze is in all of these products.

Shocked? You should be!

You need to understand what it could do to your health…

PROPYLENE GLYCOL

is a colorless, viscous, hygroscopic liquid CH3CHOHCH2OH, used in anti-freeze solutions, in hydraulic fluids, and as a solvent. Also called “Propanediol"

American Heritage Encyclopedia Dictionary

PROPYLENE GLYCOL is used in:

Anti-Freeze * Brake and Hydraulic Fluid * De-Icer * Paints and Coatings * Floor Wax * Laundry Detergents * Pet Food * Tobacco * Cosmetics * Toothpastes * Shampoos * Deodorants * Lotions * Processed Foods and many more personal care items."

Its found in everything, including soda's we drink... and has been since the 50's.

Craig

Isn't PG also found in toothpaste, though? I mean.... I'm sure if we all look at every day things around the house we use daily, we're bound to find PG in a lot of things we put in our mouths, wash our bodies with, ect.

Actually, just read the thing from Craig. It's correct. Next time youre sittin in the tub, take a look. Those reporting idiots are just trying to be popular with the critics. Slander is their specialty, apparently.

• 2 weeks later...

This guy is an idiot, he dosen't know anything about vaping.....IM a go postal!!!!...people like this guy are stuck in that one dimensional way of thinking and aren't opt to looking at the world through a broader spectrum, I am born, raised, and still live in Milwaukee, so this article pisses me off even more, (I got to start reading more than the sports section in my newspaper).....I could say more about this article but I ain't going to waste my time. PEACE OUT!

Edited by jeffb
Admin Edit

This guy is obviously a moron. The good news is I have a couple meetings setup with some bars in Wisconsin. Hopefully they like they idea and can offer there patrons a way to still get there nicotine indoors.

Ah bro you need some exposure in milwaukee, send me some business cards, I got ALOT of people in downtown milwaukee bars asking me where can I get one of those (510,ego/tornado). we just passed our no smoking indoors policy the end of July so ALOT of smokers are looking for a new outlet in the bars and to save money, I'd rather refer them to you then to TW, keep the money in the U.S. you know, just a thought so lemme know.

• 2 weeks later...

By Michael Miller

Posted: July 17, 2010

There was a correction..although small it is there.......

Correction: A July 18 op-ed in Crossroads by Michael Miller, a physician, incorrectly said that ethylene glycol is the vaporizing agent in all e-cigarettes. The agent is propylene glycol, which is relatively safe.

By Michael Miller

July 17, 2010

• 3 months later...

Oh, okay... so now being addicted to nicotine is a friggin' DISEASE? What about all the people that can't get thru the day without drinking coffee? If this is a drug delivery device, so are cigarettes. So is a cup of coffee or can of soda. This is really infuriating.. I can't believe what some people will do just for money...

I live in Milwaukee and the smoking ban is what keeps me from going to bars...especially in winter. It sucks because I know the owners of this one bar and they smoke themselves. It just sucks. In summer it wasn't so bad to go outside, but now with winter, forget it.

Milwaukee does need more exposure to E-cigs. Since getting my Ego earlier this week, I have been analog free. I love it! I already feel better. I don't reek of smoke and it satisfies my cravings for a smoke. I just don't see how a product that is found in most stuff we use in our daily lives is bad if it's used in an E-cig. There is a chemical in Deodorant that has been found in tumors in breast cancer, but yet they don't pull it off the market. :rolleyes2: Then, Don't even get me started with the fact that analog cigs are horrible for you and yet they continue to sell them, but figure its ok because they tax the heck out of them! They figure people will quit that way because of the cost. Yeah right, they know how addicted we are and a lot of people are going broke from their habit while making the government richer.

I love e-cigs and even if it may not be 100% healthy for me, it's a Heck of a lot better then smoking analogs! No one can convince me otherwise. I would be outraged if they banned E-cigs. They just seriously need to look into E-cigs a little closer and start to do trials and actually test them out. Not just on two brands, but several! Tests the juices...whatever needs to be done, but I'm almost 100% sure they would find it is much better then smoking analogs!

As for marketing them for non-smokers or kids, yeah right. I grew up with Camel ads and cig ads everywhere. Is that what made me smoke to begin with? Heck no!

Plus, Smoking is a choice, you either do it or you don't. Once you are over 18 that is your choice. Plus 18, makes you an adult. Of course if I had to do it over again, I would have never started. But at least now, I'm not hacking in the middle of the night and my taste is returning.

:thumbsup: