What 5V Device Would You Recommend?

I've been using the eGo for quite awhile now, and am definitely sold on the device. Got tooled up with batts and chargers, and have been vaping contentedly.

But it's still 3.7 volts, and one reads all these glowing reviews about higher voltage mods. So I'm thinking I should try one.

So... based on experience, what's your opinion on the best, most robust and dependable higher-voltage mod out there today... and why?

Please mention specific voltage (5, 6, whatever) for purposes of comparison, and why you think one voltage is better than another.

I'd like to stick to 510 attys, but general info regarding 801s would be of interest, too.

And if you would, include links to source sites.

TIA

My recommendation would have to be the Silver Bullet.

http://altsmoke.com/feature/altsilverbullet.html

It's a very dependable, heavy duty, solid unit that has been around quite a long time so it's been tested. I have yet to hear even one negative thing about it.

The Silver Bullet comes in silver or black. I own the black version. You can use batteries for 3.7 or 6 volt, or you can get the pass through with it and have a 5 volt unit - so it's like having 3 different units in one. Personally, I mostly use mine at 3.7 or with the pass through for 5 volt. I thought the 6 volt was a bit too harsh, but I really haven't given it a chance at 6 volt either. It uses the 510 atty, which is what I like the best, so that works out well for me.

The main difference in 5 volt and 3.7 is the vapor. You get much better vapor with the 5 volt. I use the LR attys at 3.7 volt to get almost the same vapor as I get at 5 volt, so I guess my preference is 5 volt. I get more satisfaction from vaping when I get more vapor, so that's what I look for. I also use the LR attys on my eGo for the same reason.

I am going to put my recommendation in for the Mako (you can get it at ENS)

I was pleasantly surprised at this model!! Very versatile with different sleeve/battery combos. And a few different voltage choices too!! 5V on the Maksi sleeve is the sweet spot!! :icecream:

All I know is I didn't want something that I had to take apart and put back together just to get different voltages. Add o-rings here, take one out there, put on a sleeve, change battery sizes.... no thanks for this cat. Fully assembled, any setting, all the time... Buzz. :thumbsup:

Edited by DAYVAPE

if i was going to get something multi-volt i would either wait for The Megalodon to come out, which is slimmer and sexier than anything else that takes those size batteries (which is the type you have to rearrange and swap batteries), or get a Buzz (which you don't).

i'm going Buzz... simply because after using a 5v pass-through, and several 3.7 portables over the past 9 months, i am pretty sure i am looking to split the difference. the Buzz seems like the only option for those who want more than 3.7, but do not want 5 or 6 volts.

I swore I wouldn't, but I have a six (too harsh) and 3.7 (too mild). Middle road and maybe the cartos will start working for me...

you will find that the real sweet spot voltage wise will change from attie to attie , juice to juice and mood to mood . the only way to find it is with true variable voltage . since i got my Buzz 2 weeks ago i'm not always fiddling with it , but wow it's great to be able to "tune" it to my vaping needs !!! you'd be surprised the difference between 5.10 and 5.25v . mmmmm 5.35v when you need a good strong quick hit like when i'm at work and don't have the time to take a nice long slow toke.

also the regulated voltage means the same great vape from start to finish , unlike non-regulated which will continually change as the batteries discharge .

Happy Buzz customer :)

I can assure you FT... I've settled in at 4.6-4.8 with my Buzz and V4L Premium cartos. I couldn't be happier. I just needed that unit that would provide me with the "in-between" that I was looking for. I also felt like 3.7 was not nearly enough... but that 5+ was too much for my liking. I still just LOVE using this baby. :thumbsup:

Edited by DAYVAPE

If i were going to buy a new device right now I would go with the Buzz. Variable voltage is the way to go imo.

As far as attys go I would look into cartomizers. I have been using v4l premium and the v4l coolcarts and they are both just awesome at all voltages. I did try some 510 cartos but really prefer the 808s.

If i were going to buy a new device right now I would go with the Buzz. Variable voltage is the way to go imo.

As far as attys go I would look into cartomizers. I have been using v4l premium and the v4l coolcarts and they are both just awesome at all voltages. I did try some 510 cartos but really prefer the 808s.

I couldn't have said it better.... I guess nobody believes it. :thumbsup:

My recommendation would have to be the Silver Bullet.

http://altsmoke.com/...lverbullet.html

It's a very dependable, heavy duty, solid unit that has been around quite a long time so it's been tested. I have yet to hear even one negative thing about it.

The Silver Bullet comes in silver or black. I own the black version. You can use batteries for 3.7 or 6 volt, or you can get the pass through with it and have a 5 volt unit - so it's like having 3 different units in one. Personally, I mostly use mine at 3.7 or with the pass through for 5 volt. I thought the 6 volt was a bit too harsh, but I really haven't given it a chance at 6 volt either. It uses the 510 atty, which is what I like the best, so that works out well for me.

The main difference in 5 volt and 3.7 is the vapor. You get much better vapor with the 5 volt. I use the LR attys at 3.7 volt to get almost the same vapor as I get at 5 volt, so I guess my preference is 5 volt. I get more satisfaction from vaping when I get more vapor, so that's what I look for. I also use the LR attys on my eGo for the same reason.

Nana,

I bought a Silver Bullet for my father in law for father's day when my wife's parents came for a visit. I've heard so many good things about it that I just had to get my hands on one, even if only for a minute. I'd have to agree with you, It's a fine unit. Little to no maintenance other than cleaning, and the pushbutton switch is great! My father in law loved it! He's been using a standard 510 kit, a plastic box mod that i made him, and a Spade. When i presented the Silver Bullet to him, he was totally floored by the beauty of it, the ease of use, and it's sturdyness. He absolutely loves it. He left all of his old devices here (except for the box mod-always keep a backup). I wouldn't mind having one of these for myself, but I'm more than satisfied with my Xhaler, for my own reasons.

I've become somewhat of a "purist" when it comes to my opinions on vaping devices. The less electronics, the better, and safe chemistry batteries is how I feel. Any additional circuits to me are just one more thing that can malfunction in the long run. In my own experience with potentiometers, you set them with a small screwdriver to calibrate an output and leave it alone. The more you mess with it, the more likely it will fail. Having said that, I still think variable voltage is a great concept; I agree that sometimes 5 volts or more is a bit much and 3.7 just doesn't have that "push" that something that outputs at about 4.2 to 4.7 will satisfy. I just wish that it could be done without the use of a pot, but that's just not possible now is it? So far, I've just had to deal with two Tenergy batteries--it's too strong at first, but after a while the pose drops and maintains at a very nice sweetspot till they die.

Tek , the pot is not adjusted constantly , maybe 5-10 a week , good quality trim pots last a long time and can be adjusted many times without failure ( I have a test unit that is 6 months old )

Having a name like Tektronik I would think you of all people would be all over something that is variable ?? were you a troubleshooter in a former life ?? LOL !

As you know the quality of the components is Key , and the build quality.

Anyhow being able to adjust the voltage is liberating IMO , also the regulation gives you the same Power every time ( considering that the res. is stable ) .

Buzzkill, I've been looking at your device lately, watching reviews, reading up on what others are saying about it. Looks like you have a pretty good device there.

Yes, I've dealt with many circuit cards on test benches, and pots are something I've had to replace from time to time. But that's not my main bother. If your components within the device are quality, then I believe you've got a good thing going. What I'd like to know is if let's say down road, something goes bad, will I have to send the unit back to you for repair or can I get to it myself?

the PV I'm using now is what I've landed on because I can break it down to individual parts, about thirteen, replace just about any piece on it myself without having to send the whole thing back to the company. As with all mechanical switches, they have to be cleaned periodically, but they are reliable, and I have control over the function of it. I've had some issues with other units with electronic parts in them and have had to send them back for repair, because the way they were made you can't get into it and remedy the problem. I'm just one of those folks who likes to fix stuff myself.

Although It would be nice to be able to dial in a voltage to tune in a cartomizer, I'll keep the Buzz on my list of devices I'd like to play with. i might buy one in the near future. Thanks for your response, i like the direction your leading the PV market towards, maybe it's just me resting on the conservative side.

Tek It would have to come back to us for repair ( No user serviceable parts inside , except for maybe you ! )

It uses quality parts inside , I have been doing this a long time and know that good parts make the difference ,

THanks for looking , I know that people are skeptical about electronics but this is a simple device .

Nana,

I bought a Silver Bullet for my father in law for father's day when my wife's parents came for a visit. I've heard so many good things about it that I just had to get my hands on one, even if only for a minute. I'd have to agree with you, It's a fine unit. Little to no maintenance other than cleaning, and the pushbutton switch is great! My father in law loved it! He's been using a standard 510 kit, a plastic box mod that i made him, and a Spade. When i presented the Silver Bullet to him, he was totally floored by the beauty of it, the ease of use, and it's sturdyness. He absolutely loves it. He left all of his old devices here (except for the box mod-always keep a backup). I wouldn't mind having one of these for myself, but I'm more than satisfied with my Xhaler, for my own reasons.

I've become somewhat of a "purist" when it comes to my opinions on vaping devices. The less electronics, the better, and safe chemistry batteries is how I feel. Any additional circuits to me are just one more thing that can malfunction in the long run. In my own experience with potentiometers, you set them with a small screwdriver to calibrate an output and leave it alone. The more you mess with it, the more likely it will fail. Having said that, I still think variable voltage is a great concept; I agree that sometimes 5 volts or more is a bit much and 3.7 just doesn't have that "push" that something that outputs at about 4.2 to 4.7 will satisfy. I just wish that it could be done without the use of a pot, but that's just not possible now is it? So far, I've just had to deal with two Tenergy batteries--it's too strong at first, but after a while the pose drops and maintains at a very nice sweetspot till they die.

They make a digital pot. It's an IC chip and can be set with out a microcontroller. It uses pulses to raise or lower the resistance.

Ordered the Nuck's Fist Pack myself which has a switch based variable voltage with 4 settings. (Hate the name though!) My decision was based on the long battery life (2,6000 mah), USB passthru capability while charging, and, of course, the ability to easily switch voltages. I wanted the variable voltage experience, but I know myself and if I needed ease of use as well. May not have the ability for infinate adjustment, but I know myself and I'm much more likely to use the various settings if all I have to do is flip a switch. Keeping track of batteries and "dialing" in a voltage would have been a waste on me! Anyway, I should have it in hand in a couple of days and can't wait to try it out!

A little pricey, but the Fist Pack does indeed look awesome. Have to make sure you let us know what it's like

A little pricey, but the Fist Pack does indeed look awesome. Have to make sure you let us know what it's like

Just received my Fist Pack today. (SX Model 4.3 to 5 volts) Here are my initial thoughts....

I don't have large hands, but it fits nicely in my palm. Really it's similar in size to my cell phone if a wee bit thicker. It didn't take long though to get comfortable with it, even driving a stick shift.

I've been mainly using an eGo with the occasional LR atty, so I'm loving the additional kick the Fist Pack is delivering consistently. At every setting, it packs a whallop every time. I also love the ability to easily switch from one voltage to the other without any guess work.

Like the eGo, I'm getting a consistent "fresh battery" type of hit each time. Unlike the eGo, the Fist Pack has a test button to let me know when it needs an additional charge so I'm never caught unawares. Since the battery will last me a couple of days and can also be used as a passthru while charging, the eGo is now going to be strictly a backup device I do believe.

I'm extremely impressed with the quality of the mod too. The look and feel are classy and sleek, unlike some of the mods out there. The finish is flawless. The switch itself moves with a sure and solid click into each position. The button action is smooth. Nuck obviously made this mod to last.

Overall I feel that this was money well spent. I'm confident that I'll be using the Fist Pack for a long time to come without any worries.