Us Law Banning The Selling

Christopher

WASHINGTON — A US law banning the selling of so-called "light" or "mild" cigarettes took effect Tuesday, but some anti-tobacco groups say the makers are sidestepping the rules by using color-coding packaging.

The measure signed into law a year ago by President Barack Obama regulates tobacco for the first time and prohibits, starting Tuesday, packaging using the terms "light," "mild," or "low" -- which could lead smokers into believing they are not as harmful.

But regulators and tobacco firms are still battling over how the new measure will be implemented.

Some say that color-coding packs and switching to terms....

Read More: Click Here

i smoked the same exact amount regardless of strength (which is to say, a **** load), i would smoke myself into a headach with full flavor. i actually smoked doral menthol lights because they were the equivalent to a "medium" as compared to other lights.

on the other hand, what got me on menthols and away from regulars were Kool Milds -which were NON-FILTER). they were "mild" on the menthol, hence the name. in that sense "mild" was fitting and had no inference of being less harmful, just less menthol.

i'm thankful for Obama! Just like Bill Clinton's reign - Obama's (one) term will pretty much guarantee a Republican will be back in office next election. gotta look at the big picture. ;)

oh, and i agree with the color coding prediction, or new terms.

anyone remember Salem Gold? they were like "half menthol", the "menthol for non menthol smokers".

they will do something similar. or they will rebrand (like all Marlboro will be all full flavor, and Basics - which they own - will be all light. ... or something along those lines) maybe "Classic" and "new"... like Coke, lol.

I like the loyalty factor, but if it's wait and smoke analogs or go somewhere else for supplies...Totally Wicked has the Tornado which is the same thing only with their brand. You might want to check it out.

• 2 weeks later...

It doesn't matter if cigaretts say mild, light or low or if the brand name was Cancer Sticks or Coffin Nails. People are going to buy them no matter what is says on the package. This sounds like a silly law to me. Anyone who holds a flame to rolled up colection of "who knows what" and breaths it in must know that it can't be to healthy, no matter what words or pictures there are on the package. Is the government saying that people are fooled by "light" cigaretts and they think they will live longer? Hey Uncle Sam, smokers are not that stupid. I am happy not to smoke anymore but I don't think it's a crime to use these words to describe anologs. Just sounds dumb to me.

It doesn't matter if cigaretts say mild, light or low or if the brand name was Cancer Sticks or Coffin Nails. People are going to buy them no matter what is says on the package. This sounds like a silly law to me. Anyone who holds a flame to rolled up colection of "who knows what" and breaths it in must know that it can't be to healthy, no matter what words or pictures there are on the package. Is the government saying that people are fooled by "light" cigaretts and they think they will live longer? Hey Uncle Sam, smokers are not that stupid. I am happy not to smoke anymore but I don't think it's a crime to use these words to describe anologs. Just sounds dumb to me.

:thumbsup: I agree!

wonder how many billions it cost us to have this crap put into effect. seriously who gives a s-- about what the label says or may imply.

anyone that doesn't understand the risk of sucking smoke, the product of something being set ablaze, into your lugs, in any amount, is not good for you, should be left in the dark for natural selection to weed them out.

the package already states this info, word for word. might as well just replace it all with "this will kill you, enjoy". the back would read "seriously, invest in a coffin, today."

why not put their minds together and figure out how to "effectively" get us out of the s-- storm we are in.

we are 13+ trillion in debt.

It's all just a part of the scam.

The government only wants to make it look like they have any genuine interest in the safety of smokers, that way people will believe that they do what they do because they actually want to reduce the number of smokers. The truth is smokers and cigarettes are cash cow for governments at all levels, and the money that they're allegedly supposed to be using for smoking cessation efforts is rarely committed to such. In some jurisdictions (NY, I'm looking at you), governments make 1000% more off the sale of a pack of cigarettes than the actual tobacco company selling the product (average profit per sale of pack of cigs - $0.30, government taxes on pack of cigs in NYC - ~$3.00). And at a time when states are overwhelmingly in debt because of their inabilities to constrain their spending during the good times, they just hike these taxes even further while hoping (without saying it) that people continue to smoke.

And if you wanna know why they're making serious efforts at some levels to get in the way of our PVs, follow the money. Vapor could cause significant portions of their money to go, well, up in smoke.