Thinking About Taking The Plunge

o4srt

ditto!!! like supplies needed, maybe a step by step commentary while actually mixing some!!

The video that got me started is here:

It goes along with a DIY starter kit from Totally Wicked. I certainly lost my fear of DIY and have been 90% of what I vape, I make ever since.

The kit is a good deal when it is on sale. You can certainly get supplies cheaper but this does give you a controlled environment and materials to get the feel for it. It is $60 and you can uze "caz" as the discount coupon and get 7.5% off. (not sure if that will work on the discounted kit)

http://www.totallywicked-eliquid.com/products/e-liquid-flavourings/platinum-ice-eliquid-mixing-kit-2-product.html

you get enough nicotine base to make 100ML of 18MG juice. You also get to choose 3 of what is my hands down favorite flavoring, Decadent Vapors. The flavorings are natural based and I find them ideal for Blending (Choc au lait + coconut = perfect mounds bar, Lime Zinger _ Tequila makes for a pretty nice Margarita, etc) I have not had good luck with using for blending artificial flavors, such as Capellas or Loranns. However, some members of this forum I have a lot of respect for, Kitsune and DDaveLarson both are happy with their results with artificial. To me, that is half the fun, finding your way to the ideal setup.

Hey Burn-- I love that. I live to torment my kids and now can be around to torment them longer !!!

Hodge--We don't have and exact how to--something I would love to do (but haven't)

However there is a great resource put together on the liberty flights forum, The creator of the thread has put much research into it:

http://www.liberty-flights.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1208.30

here's a quick summary:

supplies:

3ml or 5ml empty dropper bottle

1 or 3 ml syringe (if you have-can live without)

premixed liquid and/or unflavored liquid

flavoring of choice

1. Initially I start with 1-2 mls of base liquid (premixed or unflavored)--put into 3ml or 5ml bottle

2. add flavoring a couple drops at a time, shake, test. I test by direct dripping a couple drops. I use a paper towel-twist-and push into open end of atty to absorb excess between test vapes.

3. perfectly good to add more than one flavor.

4. be very careful with tobacco flavors--very strong

5. I always add a drop of menthol to my flavors to add a bit of cool throat hit.

6. keep track of what and how much you add (so when you want to make a larger amount you can calculate)

Roughly 3 drops = .1 ml, 30 drops = 1ml

the syringes are handy for handling larger volumes ( but can count drops)

I have used the todd mueller calculator: http://www.todmuller.com/ejuice/ejuice.php

This calculator bases the drops on 20 drops/ml and I have found that when measuring juice it's closer to 30 drops/ml. The calculator is accurate when looking at the mls to use......

Unfortunately I have to go get ready for work, but will be around a bit later. and see what else I can add or questions....

You can do this !!!!

Excellent Kitsune! Another big +1 for you. I love this forum. Hedge, I partially answered this question a while back too, check post number 4 on Sensay's thread too if you're interested.

DIY is a wonderful, and addictive!, pastime and addition to your vaping repertoire. After the initial expense getting set up, you'll be able to mix liquids for as little as 25 cents per ml. No kidding. Well, that assumes buying large quantities of the more common cooking flavorings, but even so, it's far less expensive than buying commercial liquid. To me though the best part is being able to tweak your mixes to work best with your voltage and atty, and your personal tastes. I have a pretty unusual approach to liquid mixing because I vape high voltage, but it works for me and might for you if you're at 6V or more. (If not, if you're vaping 3.7V, then stick with the more traditional levels of up to 20% flavoring and mostly PG.)

For high voltage liquid, I use 100% VG base nic and as much as 48% flavoring, which can get very pricey (but still less than the cost of commercial liquid, assuming you've purchased large enough quantities of the basics kitsune mentioned). This should make more sense as you get into it more.

The only thing I would caution is using drops to measure. I say this because there are too many variables using drops. Different liquids with different viscosities have way different drop sizes, so you can't rely on the 30/ml rule of thumb very well. That's how I started too, and while it does kind of work for small batches (and that's how you'll want to test your mixes!), drops do not scale up accurately. If you're going to use drops for your testing, you have to measure how many drops in 1 ml for each of your inputs. For example, using a common disposable pipette, here are the number of drops per ml for each of my basic inputs:

100MG nic Base, 100% VG -- 16

100MG nic Base, 50% VG, 50% PG -- 26

100MG nic Base, 100% PG -- 31

VG, cut with 20% distilled water -- 15

PG -- 20

Average Flavoring -- 20

So you can see that there's a lot of variance depending on viscosity of the liquid you're inputing and each dropper is different. The 30 drops/ml assumption could get you weird results if you wanted to scale up, and you'll want to measure with each dropper you use.

Determining how many drops per input using your dropper is simple. Get an inexpensive graduated cylinder (the smaller the better for accuracy; mine is 10 ml and it's a bit too large for this purpose). Using your dropper, drip into the cylinder being very careful not to let any drops hit the side of the cylinder going down (if they do, they won't count properly), and count each drop until you get to the 1 ml line. You want to measure where the low part of the fluid comes right to the 1 ml line in the cylinder. Because of surface tension, the liquid will rise along the edge of the wall of the cylinder; don't measure the top of the edge, but the lower, flatter part of the surface. Hope that makes sense.

Rinse and dry your cylinder and dropper between each input you're testing, and try to do this at the common temperature that you'll be working with your materials. Temp can also affect viscosity of the liquids, and even 20 degrees difference could change your measurements. You can dry the inside of your cylinder with canned air -- or a paper towel and a coat hanger. Whatever works, but dry it out so drops of water remaining won't affect your count.

Don't forget to write down your count after each input! No need, probably, to ask why I mention this. :) You'll be able to pour most of the liquid you measured back into its container, so there isn't much waste doing this. It's really necessary for accurate record keeping.

I tried to upload my calculator but for whatever reason the uploads are failing this morning. If you'd like to see it I will be happy to email the file to anyone with basic instructions how to use it. It's very simple and direct, and lets you measure your inputs in both drops and milliliters.

That's all I have for now, hope it helps a little. Sorry to go off on the drops rant, but I've gotten in so much trouble with drops assumptions I wanted to get it off my chest. :D Have fun and as kitusne would say, Merry Mixing! thumbsup.gif

Very good point on drops--work very well for small amounts and testing flavors.

When looking at supplies the syringe I use the most is 1cc for accurate drop/ml.

using a 1ml syringe--remove the plunger, place cap or finger over other end of syringe. add 1 drop at a time until you reach the .1 ml mark. # drops x10= drops/ml. it really not too hard, I promise.

When I first started I only mixed in small amount and as my confidence grew, I began mixing in larger quantities.

I think mixing is easy to make too complicated (in the beginning).

Honestly, when I first started mixing I tried to keep things as simple as possible. I would put 1ml of PG (easiest to mix with in the beginning due to consitency)-- and add just a couple drops of flavoring at a time until the right flavor.

I started with the premixed flavors--fruit flavors or coffee flavors and would use flavoring to enhance the premixed and then moved to making my own creations.

now that we have scared you away from mixing......

It really isn't too hard, alot of trial and error.

if I can do it, anybody can !!!!

I think we scared everybody away kitsune! :D I tend to get too scientific about this, while some people do it the way they cook: just add this or that until it tastes right and vape on. You might never vape the same flavor twice, but that might be a good thing. ;)

For me, mixing really puts some fun into vaping and I wouldn't have it any other way. I don't even remember the last time I bought premade juice. Really. I could find out of course, because I've kept track of every invoice and what it was for (not recommended! you don't want to know how much vaping really costs the first year! :D but there's no price for a healthy lifestyle.).

PS - by the way kitsune, your syringe method for measuring drops is brilliant! Virtually no waste! Wish I'd thought of that. You're the best.

Edited by ddavelarsen

I think we scared everybody away kitsune! :D I tend to get too scientific about this, while some people do it the way they cook: just add this or that until it tastes right and vape on. You might never vape the same flavor twice, but that might be a good thing. ;)

LOL! Actually, I've been having pretty good luck with nothing more than pipettes. I use a 3ml one that has marks every 1/2ml, and a 1ml one that is marked in 1/4mls. Works out pretty good for me.

Great thread!! We need a sticky.

Has anyone tried to copy/make "Grandma's Cake Batter" ice cream by Tillamook yet? Dang that's good ice cream and to be able to vape it would be heaven itself. I'd be highly interested in a recipe for it. :)

• 1 month later...

I think I might start out buying some 80%PG 20%VG 24mg Pre-mix at FreedomSmokeUSA then add some clove and cardamom flavoring into it for a Djarum Black / Clove Kretek type E Liquid. I want to add a Kamel cigarette flavor for the added cigarette taste! Adding vanilla and chestnut flavorings might work too! ((All these flavor ingredients were in a list I saw on how to make a clove tobacco mix.)) Maybe it will work for an E Liquid too! I hope I can get it right! I "REALLY" want a good Djarum Black type E Liquid! This Tasty Vapor Kretek tastes like cinnamon mostly! ANY IDEAS ARE WELCOMED! :rolleyes2:

no help with Djarum Black type E Liquid. Not a flavor I am familiar with. The trick to DIY is start with small amounts. adding flavor a bit at a time--combining flavors leads to some great mixes and some not so great mixes. Just need patience.

freedomsmokeusa is a great supplier--I really love flavour art flavoring. If you dabble with the tobacco flavors, be very careful, they are very strong. a very little goes a long way. I usually add a bit of tobacco flavoring to my mixes for background flavor.

Merry mixing !!!

no help with Djarum Black type E Liquid. Not a flavor I am familiar with. The trick to DIY is start with small amounts. adding flavor a bit at a time--combining flavors leads to some great mixes and some not so great mixes. Just need patience.

freedomsmokeusa is a great supplier--I really love flavour art flavoring. If you dabble with the tobacco flavors, be very careful, they are very strong. a very little goes a long way. I usually add a bit of tobacco flavoring to my mixes for background flavor.

Merry mixing !!!

I agree! A little tobacco flavor does go a long way. When I add to my cartridges, I add 1 or maybe 2 drops of Kamel E Liquid to a few drops of Kretek/Clove E Liquid to take away some of the over powering cinnamon taste. It works really well for me!

I have found mixing and matching liquid flavors helps balance out over powering flavors.

I added what was left of my 10 ml Kamel E Liquid to the 30 ml bottle of Kretek/Clove. Now it tastes more like a Dajarum Black flavor. Not as much cinnamon now. I'm really wanting to try mixing my own flavors now! LOL I think if I add some spice flavorings I might be able to get it right. I HOPE!