My First Mod

doxzilla

Just built this guy right here last night...

post-2486-127466495416_thumb.jpg

It's modeled after the magnum/trailerpark flashlight mods. With the exception of the headcap assembly, all parts came from the flashlight itself. The headcap is a steel 1/4" push nut washer cap fitted with a 510 connector and insulated with epoxy. 510 connector was press-fit into the cap after a grueling session with the dremmel. Body of the flashlight was expanded slightly to allow the cap assembly to be press-fit; subsequent flared edge was folded back over the headcap and planished down to secure it in place. I've yet to put any ventilation for possible battery failures, but since the grade of aluminium is so low, I would imagine that the bottom would just fire off in case of extreme pressure.

Takes a standard protected 18650 or any combination that would fit in that area. Tested last night with two Tenergy LiFePO4 RCR123A 3v stacked for 6v; worked well enough, but almost fried another carto in the process of testing. The diameter of the flashlight is about a mm wider than a 18650 so there's a cardboard sleeve in the tube the length of the body to keep the battery from rattling around.

Switch is located on the butt-cap of the flashlight as original biased switch was modded to be momentary; position is slightly annoying, but manageable. I'm looking into replicating the look and feel of the button on the Super6 to alleviate my annoyances.

Size wise, it's not much longer than a bare 18650; my Indulgence with sleeve was massive and looked like a police baton in comparison. Performance is what you would expect from an 18650 mod. Overall, I'm impressed with how well it turned out since most of my endeavors like this end up being total disasters. What do you guys think?

post-2486-127466495416_thumb.jpg

That's a beautiful mod! The button placement would bug me (my brother's S6 bugs me too) but that is fantastic and the level of your construction is beyond reproach; you work like a craftsman, and it shows.

I noticed too that we have similar wedding rings -- well, or had. I got so fat I had to have mine cut off and buy a larger one -- several years back. Let's hope you hang onto your youthful form factor better than I did. :D Getting old is not all it's cracked up to be. I just keep hoping that when I get really old, I get skinny again like those other really old guys I see hobbling about the grocery store.

• 1 month later...

Okay, this is one of my latest flashlight mods... I'm calling it the BTV ('bama trailer vapor) since it's a take on the trailerpark/magnum and the GLV. Believe it or not, the build time for a mod like this is roughly 30 min. No solder was used; everything is either crimped or has screwed down connections. The side mounted atty connection tube is actually a pair of old cartomizer tubes; one was cut open to accommodate tool access and the other was cut down the middle and slid over the exposed area. Bottom cap was salvaged from a 20oz bottle of soda because it just happened to have the proper fit and finish.

post-2486-088555900 1278985391_thumb.jpg

post-2486-088555900 1278985391_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...