My Honest Exp With The Ecig!

Hi, I haven't posted here since my initial questions last Dec. '09 upon purchasing my first "kit" of the ecig.

I'm a 35 year smoker, and honestly during most of that time, I was struggling to quit. Have tried everything, from over the counter to prescription. Must add here that the prescription med (can't think of the name of it...sorry)...made me insane with anxiety!

Anyway...I purchased the ecig kit and, from the first puff, I did not want to inhale tobacco. I've been enjoying the ecig now since Dec. 09, but I am able to ignore it for long periods...like weeks!...if I choose to do so. This is something I could never have done while smoking tobacco. While addicted to tobacco (Marlboro Lights), I would wake up anticipating that first cigarette. I do no such thing with the ecig, and really forget it on all mornings. I only take a puff on the ecig for enjoyment, but it is not an addiction as was tobacco! This leads me to conclude that the tobacco companies enhance the cigarette with an extra something that is addictive! I say this only as an addict myself and my 35 year struggle.

I wish that those trying to ban the ecig only knew this truth!

Patty

First off, congratulations on doing what some people find impossible! There are SO many people here at VaporTalk that have had similar experiences and found that only using an e-cig could slay the beast of tobacco addiction. (myself included).

I, myself am working hard on getting where you are right now, in the morning, the first thing I reach for is my e-cig, but I can feel that craving slowly leaving me.

Secondly, I'm really glad you've come back to the VaporTalk forums and let your feelings be heard about smoking, vaping, banning,and the good fight to quit. It's people like you that made me feel at home here when I first came and it's why I'm staying.

I feel the same about what may/may not be in analogs smokes, because though I am still getting my nicotine, I've been steadily lowering my dosage with no ill effects (withdrawals etc).

There MUST be something in analogs that makes people coming back time and time again, even when their health is in jeopardy. Maybe it's the hand to mouth , maybe it's something else.

Bottom line, I'm happy to have you here and even happier that you're the victor over tobacco. Maybe in another few months or so I can stop needing my nic in the morning and do as you do, just use it from time to time. Thanks for your inspiration! :thumbsup:

Edited by Phaseman66

I remember you, too, Patty. Glad to hear from you again.

I'm like you in a lot of ways. I smoked for 34 years and the first thing I did when my eyes opened in the morning was grab a cigarette. Now I get up and start my day and it can be an hour or more before I grab my eGo. It's wonderful and amazing. Although I cannot, and probably don't want to, ignore it for weeks at a time - and quite honestly not even days at a time - I can easily go on 0 nic for days and weeks at a time. I had thought I was finished with nic, but then during a very stressful time, went back to some nic. I'm now back to using 0 nic more than I'm using nic, but there is still some nic in there. It's just so easy for me to do that I'll agree with you on your theory. I think I vape more for enjoyment than anything else. And the whole "act" of vaping is very relaxing to me.

Good post, Patty! Keep 'em coming.

Welcome back...great story with a great outcome. I'm not where you are with the no nic or being able to go weeks or even days with out my e-cig.

After 40+ years of smoking I doubt that I will ever get to that point. My e-cig has just replaced my analogs but it's still better than it was.

I keep it next to the bed and just like when I was smoking I reach for it and take a hit when I get up. But I do enjoy the flavor a whole lot more than I ever did cigarettes. Old habits are hard to break I guess. But with the encouragement of the folks here at VT I'm off analogs and I feel so much better for it. So congrats on your success and keep letting us know how you're doing.

Good luck and happy vaping.

p.s. Why does it say WVfem, your name is Patty, but the disscription says male??

Welcome back...great story with a great outcome. I'm not where you are with the no nic or being able to go weeks or even days with out my e-cig.

After 40+ years of smoking I doubt that I will ever get to that point. My e-cig has just replaced my analogs but it's still better than it was.

I keep it next to the bed and just like when I was smoking I reach for it and take a hit when I get up. But I do enjoy the flavor a whole lot more than I ever did cigarettes. Old habits are hard to break I guess. But with the encouragement of the folks here at VT I'm off analogs and I feel so much better for it. So congrats on your success and keep letting us know how you're doing.

Good luck and happy vaping.

p.s. Why does it say WVfem, your name is Patty, but the disscription says male??

Oh...my name is Patty, and on other forums, I've grown accustomed to signing my real name. WVfem is just a user name, as I am female...will check my profile to correct it.

About the ecig, I do enjoy it, and my decision to go without it for two weeks was due to a shortness of breath which I attributed to the ecig. Since then, and since resuming the ecig, I've concluded that the shortness of breath was more akin to anxiety just as when I would try to quit smoking tobacco. I had experienced this many times over the years in attempts to quit. Which leads me to my conclusion that there really IS an extra something addictive in tobacco products that makes quitting virtually impossible. No doubt, this is one major reason the tobacco companies would want to see the ecig banned.

Thanks to all of you for your supportive comments!

Patty

Great success story Patty, Congratulations and thanks for giving us all such inspiration! I'd bet my left hand that I'll never be able to non-vape for days or weeks, but I know I can go without analogs so I'm in hog heaven. I think it's wonderful when folks like you and nana and FTJoe can cut it back so dramatically. You rock!

Congratulations, that is a great story. I do find that the need for my e-cig isn't near what it was with smoking, i don't think I could even go through the whole day, let alone 2 weeks. More mental addiction (and I really enjoy it).

My only absolute certainty is that I will never return to smoking !!!

Thank you for sharing.

That's great, Patty. I also believe there are many other things in tobacco cigs that make it so adictive. If I go out somewhere with one battery and it dies out I have no problem being without it for however long. It is not on my mind nearly as much as those anologs were. I do like vaping very much and I don't go to long without it but all I need is a couple puffs and I'm good for a while. Unlike anologs where I would smoke it to the filter just to get my moneys worth. When the the time comes I would be able to quit vaping with no problems and I could never say that about anologs.......until I learnd about vaping.

That's great, Patty. I also believe there are many other things in tobacco cigs that make it so adictive. If I go out somewhere with one battery and it dies out I have no problem being without it for however long. It is not on my mind nearly as much as those anologs were. I do like vaping very much and I don't go to long without it but all I need is a couple puffs and I'm good for a while. Unlike anologs where I would smoke it to the filter just to get my moneys worth. When the the time comes I would be able to quit vaping with no problems and I could never say that about anologs.......until I learnd about vaping.

I think it's interesting that we're talking about this, because I noticed it as well. When I get up in the morning, I say "Hmmm, I think I may vape a bit to start off the day." Before, it was like "CIGARETTE. NOW." If I go without vaping for a while, I do miss it a bit, but I am not snapping at everyone. I definitely agree with Patty that nicotine is NOT the only addictive thing in cigarettes.

In any case, congratulations!

I think it's interesting that we're talking about this, because I noticed it as well. When I get up in the morning, I say "Hmmm, I think I may vape a bit to start off the day." Before, it was like "CIGARETTE. NOW." If I go without vaping for a while, I do miss it a bit, but I am not snapping at everyone. I definitely agree with Patty that nicotine is NOT the only addictive thing in cigarettes.

In any case, congratulations!

At the start of my introduction to ecigs, I joined here to ask some serious questions about addiction, since, as I revealed at that time, I think of myself as having an "addictive" personality. I was concerned about trading one addiction for another. Despite this concern, I believed then, and I'm certain now, that vaping is exponentially healthier than inhaling tobacco. And...add to that...the lightening of the addictive behavior. This morning, for instance, I forgot the ecig as I started on my morning drive to work. This happens most mornings, and then I go all day teaching without any ill effects. Sometimes when I come home, I take a few puffs, sometimes more, sometimes none! I do this because it's pleasurable, not so much because I have no choice (as was the case with tobacco!). I used to wake up in the morning and go directly to the garage to smoke...then take breaks while getting ready for work, then make sure I had cigs for my drive to work and then for the drive home. Also taking a drive midday during my lunch break for a smoke! Then...arriving home, I was a smoking machine, LOL! I have struggled with this behavior for over 30 years, and thus labeled myself an "addictive" personality. I conclude now, from my exp with the ecig, that the addictive culprit is in tobacco, and my struggle and failure to quit was not so much due to my own weaknesses, but to the insidious additives that keep us hooked!

The people who want to ban the ecig are most likely nonsmokers, or exsmokers. I'm guessing there is also a powerful money lobby for banning it from the tobacco companies.

Patty