Driven By Nicotine

Wanted to share a unique experience with you all.

Last night, at work, I noticed my beloved VP2 started acting up. The switch really started to stick, and the lights would flicker on and off when I used it. By the time I got home, it got worse. It's still under warranty, and I'm sending it off this week, but I quickly realized that I had no viable backup since I loaned out my OEM 510 starter to a friend a few days ago. I didn't want to ask for it back, but started getting desperate. I refuse to go back to analogs to hold me over!

When I woke up this afternoon, the VP2 still half worked, but I knew, just knew it was only a matter of time. I use that thing so much, carry it everywhere, and vape constantly with it. Ordering another starter kit would take too long, so my only option left was to make one!

Quickly got dressed and ran to Radio Shack before they closed. Got there like 10 minutes before closing and got the battery box and switch. Got extras just in case I messed something up.

In about an hour, I had a working battery box mod. I used 901 atomizer connection I pulled off an old stick battery (thanks, Wagex for that quick advice) and used epoxy to seal it.

I couldn't believe how simplistic the whole thing really is. no LEDs in this one, just needed something to hold me over till I get my VP2 fixed, but liking it more each time I pick it up. I'd post a picture, but I don't know how you do that. Besides it's just a simple mod, nothing fancy, but it works well!

By the way, would someone who has a VP2 please put in a fresh battery and take a voltage measurement at the atomizer connection and post it here? I'm curious to know if its just me, or is this faulty switch attenuating the voltage output. It's low; a fresh battery at 4.2 volts reads only 3.26 at the atty connection, whereas my little battery box mod reads 4.2 at the connection.

That's the spirit Tektronik! I would not have thought of that, but you've planted the seed for me and a bunch of other folks I imagine. Way to go!

When I read your thread I wondered if this might just be a cleaning issue? Don't want to be too simplistic but I've had similar issues with my VP2 that I have resolved by blowing and wiping out the connection on the device and atty. This happens reasonably often and freaks me completely out when it does, but I've always been able to restore it to full function. Don't know about the switch sticking though. I think if that continues I'd be sending mine to Jeso too. For what it's worth, his turnaround time is fantastic. My VP PT was out of my house for only one week, so he must have done the work and returned it the same day he received my unit. I don't think it gets much better than that.

Good luck and cool on you for building a quick mod to carry you over! thumbsup.gif

It really was the only option I had left. I almost hated to admit it, but it was because of the nicotine! I had just placed several orders in at different places- new attys, some T-tips, more juices, etc. This vapor culture is now a part of me, and like I said before, I don't like analogs anymore. I was offered a marlboro light at work a few days ago-i tried it. It wasn't the same as it used to be. I felt nauseated and actually started dry heaving!

After looking at the receipt from Radio Shack, the battery box and switch cost a mere $4.18 plus tax. I used my 14500 batteries and they fit right in! I'm thinking of making one or two more so I can give them to friends who want to try it out; just need to find another charger and a few more batteries and I think it would be a great intro device!

It really was the only option I had left. I almost hated to admit it, but it was because of the nicotine! I had just placed several orders in at different places- new attys, some T-tips, more juices, etc. This vapor culture is now a part of me, and like I said before, I don't like analogs anymore. I was offered a marlboro light at work a few days ago-i tried it. It wasn't the same as it used to be. I felt nauseated and actually started dry heaving!

After looking at the receipt from Radio Shack, the battery box and switch cost a mere $4.18 plus tax. I used my 14500 batteries and they fit right in! I'm thinking of making one or two more so I can give them to friends who want to try it out; just need to find another charger and a few more batteries and I think it would be a great intro device!

Neccessity IS the mother of invention, jury rigs and bathrooms. :)

Now that's some fast, clever thinking! I probably wouldn't be able to put something together like that, but then that's why I keep collecting backups. :rolleyes2:

Congrats to you for putting a mod together when you needed it most. :thumbsup:

I put a fresh battery in my VP2 and got 4.15... right on the money. Of course, that'll drop to the 3.7 pretty quick when used. Sorry you're having problems with it. Nice job on the box mod. :) They are a pretty cheap alternative and fairly easy to make.