Check Out This Blown Up Bb

Jeffb

Here's a link to the Totally Wicked Forum. This thread is about a BB that blew up in a guys face and knocked his teeth out and broke his jaw. There are pictures toward the end of the thread. Beware of unprotected batteries. http://forum.totallywicked-eliquid.co.uk/index.php?PHPSESSID=e8v41i1ubn1cus4h1rkei6f3l1&topic=5091.0 :o

Edited by jeffb

I really hope my 510 doesn't try to kill me! :2guns::help:

If your using an unmodified 510 and the battery fails it will blow out the LED and vent forward.

Unfortunately these ridiculous super mod's are not designed by electrical engineers and don't take into account the possibility of battery failure and provide proper forward venting.

Protected batteries can stop overcharging and undervolting, but cannot do a thing about an internal chemical short. An internal chemical short will instantaneously cause massive overheating and the pressure will blow out the ends of the battery. This pressure must be able to escape the housing of the device or BOOM.

You can take a firecracker and put into your open palm and receive a burn, but close your fingers around it and you won't have to worry about using those fingers ever again.

Electrical Engineer Replying.

P.S. As pretty as they are I have no desire to purchase a PV Mod. I like my 510 (and my teeth).

P.P.S. I am not belittling the unfortunate victim, just telling "ROOR" not be to concerned about the 510.

Yea I will stick with my 510 until i get the scratch together for a spade or a joker. :)

There are some PV Mod's with safety vents designed into them. Personally I have had too many high energy storage components blow up near me while in design and testing phase, such as batteries and big electrolytic capacitors.

High energy batteries are prone to failure far more than the little ones in the PV's. Having a couple of those big high energy batteries in my face is just too scary for me.

I speak of energy and not voltage. Energy = Power. Ohm's law states that (watts or power)=amps X voltage.

For example the standard 510 battery is 130mah. The typical resistance of the atty filament is 2.5 ohms.

So the 510 draws (I=E/R) 3.7v / 2.5ohm = 1.48amps, the battery is rated for .13amps so the atty draws 11.38 times greater amps than the batteries designed rating. That's 4.7 watts from a .42 watt battery

Anyway that is why the batteries discharge in 30-60 mins. I've discharged them in less than 15 mins chain vaping.

That's scary enough for me and I'm willing to risk it.

Vape On!

I feel bad for the guy getting his face busted but I am skeptical about an e-cigg battery doing it.I blew one up and it sounded like a weak firecracker and smelled bad.I took a battery from an auto battery that had a bad switch and hooked it straight to a usb connecter to use with a passthrough.I was charging it on a cell phone charger and I guess the protection circutry is in the LED board or the switch I forgot I had it charging and it reminded me.

I had seen something like this on another forum with a home made mod. Wasn't using protected batteries.

Still, like BigXor said, I know nothing about electronics, yet I built my own 5v mod using two 3.7v batts (protected) with a 5v regulator. I have no idea how safe it is and now I'm having second thoughts about using it or building any more.

As far as batteries go and no more than I use them I just use DSE 801 manual and automatic batteries,since I quit using DSE high bridge 801 atty's my batteries last a long time,and I use PT's at home and at work so the batteries just get me between the two or when I go out somewhere.

The VP Series is designed to vent out the gas through the LED holes and the battery caps have a low amount of threads to allow them to blow off if an explosion occurs, so I feel fairly safe with my VP1,VP2, and Spade. I'm kind of paranoid about my eGo though because I don't know if it has any safety features. Hopefully it has those features in the LED button or in the logo end.

BigXor really hit the nail on the head here. The one and only reason we decided to carry the VP units in the store was the safety. At the time nobody had really thought about it but us. We knew some day this would happen. Which is why we have never carried any other custom unit.

When Jeso first created the VP units he was one of the first mod creators to use protected batteries. He also designed the units to turn only 1 1/2 threads. So in the event that a user with a death wish decided to either A. Use none protected batteries or B. Mix and match charged and uncharged batteries, there would be room for the gas to go, in this case through the bottom of the unit. Now of course this wasn't advertised because some nut job would give it a try. Just because you have an air bag doesn't mean you should crash your car into a wall.

It would scare the heck out of you but you'd probably be ok. Another issue is the way modders place the atomizer fitting into the unit, most press the fitting into the unit. What does this mean? It means it won't handle much pressure, when a battery heats and expends and finally blows, guess where the pressure goes? You got it, right out the atomizer fitting. In this case it was the BB. While out in New York we pulled out about 40 units and placed them on the table and the first thing was said was, well, these are all pipe bombs just waiting to blow. We couldn't believe nobody anticipated this issue. Of course those with the knowledge like Bogxor warned of this but nobody listened.

In the VP units case the fitting is of a threaded design, not pressed into aluminum.

@kato07 - Exploding wouldn't be an issue for the VP passthrough because it's a straight passthrough, there is no battery inside the unit.

So next time you decided to buy a unit because it's the "new" thing, make sure you keep in mind some of the saftey users. Ask the modder "what have you done to make this safe" any good suppliers or modder should give you direct answers about what they've done. We have answerd this question a few times. If they beat around the bush, ditch buying the unit, it's just not worth it.

Thanks Chris. So the battery exploding is not the real danger, it's not having a place to release that pressure. Like BigXor's firecracker in the hand example.

This makes me feel a little better about my box mod too. There's plenty of places for gas/heat to escape, and the batteries are not behind the atty.

BigXor really hit the nail on the head here. The one and only reason we decided to carry the VP units in the store was the safety. At the time nobody had really thought about it but us. We knew some day this would happen. Which is why we have never carried any other custom unit.

When Jeso first created the VP units he was one of the first mod creators to use protected batteries. He also designed the units to turn only 1 1/2 threads. So in the event that a user with a death wish decided to either A. Use none protected batteries or B. Mix and match charged and uncharged batteries, there would be room for the gas to go, in this case through the bottom of the unit. Now of course this wasn't advertised because some nut job would give it a try. Just because you have an air bag doesn't mean you should crash your car into a wall.

It would scare the heck out of you but you'd probably be ok. Another issue is the way modders place the atomizer fitting into the unit, most press the fitting into the unit. What does this mean? It means it won't handle much pressure, when a battery heats and expends and finally blows, guess where the pressure goes? You got it, right out the atomizer fitting. In this case it was the BB. While out in New York we pulled out about 40 units and placed them on the table and the first thing was said was, well, these are all pipe bombs just waiting to blow. We couldn't believe nobody anticipated this issue. Of course those with the knowledge like Bogxor warned of this but nobody listened.

In the VP units case the fitting is of a threaded design, not pressed into aluminum.

@kato07 - Exploding wouldn't be an issue for the VP passthrough because it's a straight passthrough, there is no battery inside the unit.

So next time you decided to buy a unit because it's the "new" thing, make sure you keep in mind some of the saftey users. Ask the modder "what have you done to make this safe" any good suppliers or modder should give you direct answers about what they've done. We have answerd this question a few times. If they beat around the bush, ditch buying the unit, it's just not worth it.

TY for the great info Christopher, as a noooobie, I know less than nothing about these issues.

Also thanks to jeff for the initial post in the first place. :) Is that redundant? lol Initial and First place? Probably. LOL

Edited by TeriJo

Thanks Chris. So the battery exploding is not the real danger, it's not having a place to release that pressure. Like BigXor's firecracker in the hand example.

This makes me feel a little better about my box mod too. There's plenty of places for gas/heat to escape, and the batteries are not behind the atty.

Plus, you used protected batteries, right?