The Movie Thread

Just purchased Inglourious Basterds the other day and wow that is a great movie. The dialog in the scenes draw you in so deep then Tarantino throws a massive hanging curveball at you leaving you stunned at what actually just happened.

Great movie, a must see.

I know I have to have seen A Time to Kill but it's not filling in my immediate memory. I'll have to check it out. Dripzz, Inglorious Basterds is indeed a great movie! thumbsup.gif I don't think there's anything about it I don't -- love? Odd word to use about that particular movie. But it's true; I dig it totally. I'm gonna add it to my "cheap DVD" list. I've marked a few off lately and it's getting kind of short again.

Recent ones I've gotten off that list were Apocalyto, Shadow of the Vampire and Unforgiven. :) I love going into anyplace that has used DVDs or a bin of cheap overstocks and digging through them.

Brian, "Paranormal Activity" is a really scary movie, but not bloody or gory. Nothing much really happens -- on-screen...

This is business as usual for Dave. Movies that have no effect whatsoever on my tween daughter will keep him awake for weeks. :D

This is business as usual for Dave. Movies that have no effect whatsoever on my tween daughter will keep him awake for weeks. :D

It's true, dweeb; appreciating some movies does require a bit of a willing suspension of disbelief. Otherwise, why even spend your time? Kids. Life is wasted on em. Some adults too, I'm afraid. Bro. devil.gif

Wow, we went to see Wolfman last night and I was absolutely freakin pleased with del Toro's treatment. The original Wolfman movie was one of the movies that really shaped my childhood -- which might explain a lot to some of you. :) I'd read that del Toro had a similar feeling about the original and wanted to essentially remake the same movie, updated for the 21st century.

Well I'm here to tell you: He nailed it. That's the werewolf movie I've always wanted to see, the first that even came close to the tragedy and humanity of the Lon Chaney film. If you love the Wolfman you owe it to yourself to give this one a try. It's beautiful, scary and heart breaking.

Thanks for the review of Wolfman Dave! Looking forward to seeing that.

I watched District9 last night. Yall were right - I was glued to the screen - great movie. My wife - not so much. She hated it.

Thanks for the review of Wolfman Dave! Looking forward to seeing that.

I watched District9 last night. Yall were right - I was glued to the screen - great movie. My wife - not so much. She hated it.

Ah man, we just gotta love our women. :D I'm really fortunate in this regard; my wife and I have most book and movie tastes in common. But she likes 40s movies and I like B movies - those don't mix too well. That's why we have two TV rooms. ;)

Enjoyed Goodfellas again last night..Classic

Yeah, that and Untouchables are great! Haven't thought about either for a while. I'll give either a shot next time they roll through. Good recommendations!

"It was when I read Shawshank Redemption that i decided Stephen King isn't a hack after all... I'm about 50/50 on his stuff so far, but always dig Dean Koonz."

I know this is a movie thread, but check out King's book "Under The Dome". It's about as thick as the Bible, but an Excellent book!

"It was when I read Shawshank Redemption that i decided Stephen King isn't a hack after all... I'm about 50/50 on his stuff so far, but always dig Dean Koonz."

I know this is a movie thread, but check out King's book "Under The Dome". It's about as thick as the Bible, but an Excellent book!

Cool man, I've had my eye on that one, now I know I'll read it. thumbsup.gif

We watched a great SF/horror movie last night, Pandorum. Twisty and Recommended!

• 2 weeks later...

I watched one last night with my wife, very freeky, could be possible in the future if you had an imagination. It's called SURROGATES. Just came out for rent. Some of the scenes were shot right here in Taunton, MA at the old Paul Dever school. There is another movie due to come out this year starring Leonardo DeCaprio that was also shot here in Taunton. At least some of the concentration camp scenes were shot at the Mill River factorys where I go dirt bike riding. I think the name of that movie is ASHE CLIFF it was shot before SURROGATES but has been delayed. A couple of towns over is Bridgewater where Tom Cruise shot a movie scene. They staged a plane crash in a field and set of an explosion that could be heard for miles. All this "Hollywood" stuff around here has only happened recently over the past couple of years and has been the talk of the towns. The Paul Dever school grounds used to be military camp of some kind during the world wars. Lot's of history here but if you ask a local they'll tell you Taunton is boring.

Hey Mike, Surrogates is a great movie! thumbsup.gif We got a real kick out of it, even had a positive ending. Iowa went through a period of enticing movie productions with tax breaks, then started reneging. Our governor is a real piece of work ... as in J-E-R-K. Anyway, it is cool to have movie production going on around; makes you feel like your town is on the map. :)

Hey Mike, Surrogates is a great movie! thumbsup.gif We got a real kick out of it, even had a positive ending. Iowa went through a period of enticing movie productions with tax breaks, then started reneging. Our governor is a real piece of work ... as in J-E-R-K. Anyway, it is cool to have movie production going on around; makes you feel like your town is on the map. :)

I'm glad you said it had a positive ending because I like that. I didn't see the end and have to rent it again and pay more attention. I was more concerned about recognizing the old buildings that are down the street from me but I did think, from what I saw that this was a good movie!

I'm glad you said it had a positive ending because I like that.

That's actually debatable. Kind of like was Neo really better off coming out of the Matrix, would everyone else be better or would they be traumatized? From the perspective of Hollywood, they are better off, but if you think about it, and put yourselves in their position...

Edited by FTJoe

I watched the Informant last night, it was pretty good. I recently saw 2012 and that was pretty entertaining as well.

Yeah, those are both movies that are on my list when they come around. Glad to hear they were worth watching. (But I'm not buying that Mayan calendar thing; how many times in my life has the world been going to end in cataclysm? Half a dozen anyway. :D)

Yeah, those are both movies that are on my list when they come around. Glad to hear they were worth watching. (But I'm not buying that Mayan calendar thing; how many times in my life has the world been going to end in cataclysm? Half a dozen anyway. :D)

Ah but for a MOVIE you must SUSPEND your disbelief. You go back to being a kid and "Let's PRETEND". :)

But yeah... at least a few times the world was going to end. 2000 was the latest lol

It never occurs to some folks that the Mayan calendar may have ended on that day cuz um..... THE MAYANS ALL GOT KILLED OFF lol.

So ya know... sooner or later someone wasn't WORKING on it anymore. LOL

Did anyone else notice how the photos in the news (a few weeks ago) about the snow in Britian and New England looked eerily similiar to the movie "Day After Tomorrow" with Dennis Quaid? :::insert Twilight music here::::