Diy 5V Battery Mod

Brian

So, how much you want for one? :thumbsup:

That's like asking to buy his firstborn. :D But I have warned him to gear up for production. I think we all need to see its vapor production -- but I think Brian is shy. Who'd have thought? :D

Should have added this to one of those replies. Brian, how hard was it to solder inside that atty connector? That's the one thing that makes me hesitate so far. Any trouble getting the solder to stick, or having one wire come undone while you're heating for the next one?

Thanks everyone!

So far it's worked really good. I haven't used it to much because I didn't seal it yet. However, it work pretty darn good. Great vapor production. My only concern so far is how how the atty gets. I'm afraid it's going to melt the plastic box so you have to let it cool down plenty between drags.

@Dave - I soldered the connector wire first outside of the box. My first attempt was a disaster. Pretty sure my soldering iron needs a new tip because I couldn't get the darn thing hot enough. I tried to melt the solder higher on the iron and drip it on, but it didn't stick and rolled down into the connector. On my second connector I pushed the center piece out, removed the gasket seal and had no problem then becuse I was able to heat it up using a higher part of the tip. Realy though, I think if you've got a good tip it won't be to difficult.

When I first started on this I was a little overwhelmed and figured there was no way I could get all that soldering done insdie the box. So I started laying it out (outside the box). Once I got going I discovered that I could make most of the connection outside of the box. The only soldering I had to do inside the box was connect the positive wire from the connector to the out pin, and the ground from the regulator pin to the connector.

I drew this diagram of how the wires go which really helped me. However, I didn't get the LED put in. I'll work on that for the next one.

I am trying to make a little vid of the vapor, but my computer isn't cooperating. Bear with me. :)

post-1693-126455253267_thumb.jpg

post-1693-126455253267_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

good job! just completed one of these myself, although still waiting on batteries.

FYI, 4 normal batteries will power it sufficiently, in a pinch. I bought a 4 AA box from radio shack and taped it to the bottom of the mod, and ran wires from the battery pack, where I soldered them (temporarily) to the battery terminals of the mod.

Next step is to incorporate a mini-connector (female) of some type on the mod itself, so if the batteries ever die when I am out, I can run to a convenience store and pick up a pack of AA's to use.

Redundancy is good.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm inspired too, Brian. I'm just trying to figure out exactly what parts to order. I can't believe I'd never seen madvapes.com before... very cool site, I like their diy stuff, nice pictures and good instructions.

Hey, Dave... How about a custom 5 volt box mod with a 3" retractable blade? :punk:

Can't wait to see your creation. The only bad thing about making one box at a time is the price. Buying parts one at a time is always so much more expensive than bulk... making it not worth the time and effort of most people. I commend your effort and cant wait to see your creation! :)

Typical cost of making one mod:

$10 soldering iron

$3 solder

$5 spool of wire

$3 3AA battery enclosure

$3 Battery Connector

$2 Pushbutton

$2 Regulator

$4 Epoxy

This is assuming you have a drill/dremel with bits already to make holes... otherwise you gotta buy one. :)

Some stuff you can get locally, but add tax... the rest add shipping... and you can wind up spending $40+ on one mod!

And if you buy extra parts in case you screw up something...

I can provide schematics of how to build a 3.7V or a 5V boxmod if anyone wants it. :)

Let me know...

Alan

• 1 month later...

Typical cost of making one mod:

$10 soldering iron

$3 solder

$5 spool of wire

$3 3AA battery enclosure

$3 Battery Connector

$2 Pushbutton

$2 Regulator

$4 Epoxy

Some stuff you can get locally, but add tax... the rest add shipping... and you can wind up spending $40+ on one mod!

Alan

Of course... the highlighted items you don't have to buy each and every time, correct?? So, really they are about $10 once you have the other stuff on hand... correct me if I'm wrong please.

Edited by DAYVAPE

Of course... the highlighted items you don't have to buy each and every time, correct?? So, really they are about $10 once you have the other stuff on hand... correct me if I'm wrong please.

Yep.

box mods are easy as long as your aren't working with a small box.

like the duracell box. there really isn't much room above the two AAs you drop in.

the first one i made had a booster board and that made dealing with that limited space an easier task but solder onto the booster board was a bit annoying.

i need to invest into one of those solder holding stations. it has two clips to hold the item to be soldered and the wire so you can do what needs to be done.

right now i have a system for making it all easier.

if you have a 3-AA box making a mod in those "can" be easy, if you know how to mix epoxy, solder, and use the right iron watt and tip for the wire, part and solder you have.

the main problem with a first time do it yourself-er is they will usually make a mess of everything. epoxy everywhere, weak solder joints, among other things.

you don't learn with out first hand experience though.

what i tend to do is slap something together, quickly. then look at where my problem areas, will be, for a later mod of the same device.

not to say i just take parts and throw them at epoxy to see if it will work. it's just they are my personal items for learning.

if anyone needs advice or help just pm me and i'll jump into video chat walk you threw it.

I could never do it. Sorry for the hijack, but I used to play with something called a sonic impact t-amp (class D amplifier). Replace a few caps, repackage and it is sweet. But the little project boxes they put them in I couldn't handle working with.

I want to do this one

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/t-amp_tweaks_e.html

these are the cool ones

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~timc/e/t-amp.html

Sonic Impact Eclipse Mint tin amp

By the way, the amp is really nice, make sure the speakers are high efficiency like 92db or more in sensitivity, maybe 88 but 92 or more is the best, then the amp truly sings ($25). Really weird.

• 3 years later...