Diy 5V Battery Mod

Brian

At the risk of making a complete idiot of myself, I ventured out today and ordered all the parts needed to make a 5v mod. I went for the easiest method I could find so hopefully I can learn the basics from doing this. I ordered everything I need from madvapes.com. I spent $40 and ordered enough supplies to make 4 units, plus another $20 on 4 14500 batteries (needed those for my VP2 anyhow). I traded several emails with Mark (from madvapes) and he was very helpful and got me on my way. I plan to at least document the process and take pics. I'll post the project when it's done. Hopefully I'll have one working next weekend. Wish me luck (I'm going to need it).

It really is not that complicated.The hard part is finding good ,small switches and getting the atty fitting.Save those dead batteries for the fittings.There is a neat little LED flashlite that has a 3 AAA cell holder in it that would be a good candidate for modding.

It really is not that complicated.The hard part is finding good ,small switches and getting the atty fitting.Save those dead batteries for the fittings.There is a neat little LED flashlite that has a 3 AAA cell holder in it that would be a good candidate for modding.

Thanks! Yea, from what I've seen it really not that difficult. I'm going to start with a box mod as it seemed to be the easiest and give you the most room to work. Once I get it down I'll most likely try one of those flashlight mods.

At the risk of making a complete idiot of myself, I ventured out today and ordered all the parts needed to make a 5v mod. I went for the easiest method I could find so hopefully I can learn the basics from doing this. I ordered everything I need from madvapes.com. I spent $40 and ordered enough supplies to make 4 units, plus another $20 on 4 14500 batteries (needed those for my VP2 anyhow). I traded several emails with Mark (from madvapes) and he was very helpful and got me on my way. I plan to at least document the process and take pics. I'll post the project when it's done. Hopefully I'll have one working next weekend. Wish me luck (I'm going to need it).

Good luck!! I have Madvapes bookmarked and that's where I thought I'd order parts from to make a mod. My husband wanted to try making one and I said I'd test it out for him. LOL But I didn't know they could be 5V units. Maybe I should have read closer. His instructions look easy enough to follow.

Thats very cool Brian. I look forward to seeing your work. :thumbup:

Good luck!! I have Madvapes bookmarked and that's where I thought I'd order parts from to make a mod. My husband wanted to try making one and I said I'd test it out for him. LOL But I didn't know they could be 5V units. Maybe I should have read closer. His instructions look easy enough to follow.

He is working on a 5v tutorial that he hopes to have finished soon. I hope he has it posted before I start otherwise I'll really be flying blind. Surprisingly Nana, it doesn't look that difficult.

I'm inspired too, Brian. I'm just trying to figure out exactly what parts to order. I can't believe I'd never seen madvapes.com before... very cool site, I like their diy stuff, nice pictures and good instructions.

Hey, Dave... How about a custom 5 volt box mod with a 3" retractable blade? :punk:

Here's a list of what I ordered:

Box

Connector

Switch

LED

5V Regulator

Resister

My plan is to use two 14500 900mah batteries. Again - I was looking for the easiest way. Once I get one working I'll start looking into:

1. Different cases.

2. A unit that switches betweeen 3.7v and 5v (I've read a little on this - don't think it'll be that difficult).

3. Maybe 6v.

Heck - once I saw how cheap it was I figured I could expirament a lot. :) I'm glad to see there's some interest in this as I've become somewhat fascinated with the idea.

I'm inspired too, Brian. I'm just trying to figure out exactly what parts to order. I can't believe I'd never seen madvapes.com before... very cool site, I like their diy stuff, nice pictures and good instructions.

Hey, Dave... How about a custom 5 volt box mod with a 3" retractable blade? :punk:

LOL! (Literally!) :D

Brian beat me to it on the parts list; he was gracious enough to share it with me too. Now I'm just waiting for my wife to cool off a bit before I go ordering more stuff... :D

He is working on a 5v tutorial that he hopes to have finished soon. I hope he has it posted before I start otherwise I'll really be flying blind. Surprisingly Nana, it doesn't look that difficult.

That's what I thought when I first saw the site, Brian. It didn't look difficult to me - and I don't make things like that. I showed it to my husband and he really wanted to give it a try. And it was cheap enough that we figured we could make some mistakes and it wouldn't cost much to redo either. And, if I don't like it, we're not out much.

Here's a list of what I ordered:

Box

Connector

Switch

LED

5V Regulator

Resister

My plan is to use two 14500 900mah batteries. Again - I was looking for the easiest way. Once I get one working I'll start looking into:

1. Different cases.

2. A unit that switches betweeen 3.7v and 5v (I've read a little on this - don't think it'll be that difficult).

3. Maybe 6v.

Heck - once I saw how cheap it was I figured I could expirament a lot. :) I'm glad to see there's some interest in this as I've become somewhat fascinated with the idea.

I think that's almost exactly what our list is. LOL I'll have to double check. Thanks for sharing it. Now I think we'll go ahead and order parts, too. Even you saying that about looking into the other stuff sounds like fun. And now a new adventure begins?

And it was cheap enough that we figured we could make some mistakes and it wouldn't cost much to redo either.

Yea - figure I'll make plenty of mistakes which is why I ordered 4 of everything. :)

mark from madvapes is awesome everytime i order from there he sends extra of the little fragile stuff handy incase you mess up :) and his shipping is top notch 2 days i get it every time :) shorter if i order in the morning :)

How's it coming, brother?

Got the parts, got the layout figured out, got all the holes drilled and all my wire cut to size. Drew a wiring diagram, took a pic of it and sent it to Mark at Madvapes to make sure I understood correctly where everything went (he answered me within a few minutes - said it looked sweet). So, I'm all set to start soldering, but I have to wait until tonight when I can sit here and do it without much interruption. It's a little more tedeous than I thought it would be, but it's coming along. :thumbsup:

I'm anxious to see how it goes. Don't keep me waiting too long....please.

I was working on my order for parts, left for a second to answer the phone, came back and my computer had reset. Now I have to redo the whole thing. But I really want the parts and want to get one made. I need back ups....badly.

I'm going back and forth on ordering a new 510 kit or just some mega batteries. I have to make up my mind quick and get it ordered, before I have nothing left to vape with. Then I think I'll have my husband make me about 10 of those mods. Maybe that will keep me for awhile.

Ok - so here it is! I have to say this was a much bigger PITA than it thought it would be. Other than re-attaching a wire on some of my kids toys, I've never soldered before. My soldering iron is several years old and I'm pretty sure I need to replace the tip. I goal for this project was to just get one built and working. It's not pretty. I didn't cover or seal any of my connection and didn't use any JB Weld or Gorilla snot. However, it's together and it works! I learned a lot doing this so hopefully next time I can put together some instructions. Pretty sure I'll get some 4 battery cases instead of using the 3 batt cases. It was just to tight for my liking. I also left out LED just because there was so little room and I was getting a little frustrated.

post-1693-126438672687_thumb.jpg

post-1693-126438673491_thumb.jpg

post-1693-126438674302_thumb.jpg

"Maybe" my green foot, big guy! That's freakin awesome! Now I want to see some vapor production. :D Who knows, maybe we can talk TeriJo into doing her first musical mod review of Brian's Boom Box! thumbsup.gif

You did a super clean job building that Brian. That was your first one? I'm not buying it. Well okay, if you say so, but that means you have a second career in front of you. Better start getting geared up for production. Heh. ;) Way to go man! Vape on!

Brian, I am very impressed. You got over the first hurdle just by completing the mod. I bet that the next time you try, it will be a bit more easier. You must have great patience, I probably would have chucked it against a wall. How does it work? Are you satisfied with the vapor production?

Brian, you did a super job on that!!!! It looks really great to me. I can't wait to try one, too. I just hope mine looks half that good. I truly am impressed. You should be very proud of yourself. I know I'm proud of you.

Ok - so here it is! I have to say this was a much bigger PITA than it thought it would be. Other than re-attaching a wire on some of my kids toys, I've never soldered before. My soldering iron is several years old and I'm pretty sure I need to replace the tip. I goal for this project was to just get one built and working. It's not pretty. I didn't cover or seal any of my connection and didn't use any JB Weld or Gorilla snot. However, it's together and it works! I learned a lot doing this so hopefully next time I can put together some instructions. Pretty sure I'll get some 4 battery cases instead of using the 3 batt cases. It was just to tight for my liking. I also left out LED just because there was so little room and I was getting a little frustrated.

hahaha looks good! now let me do a review on it!!

Very cool looking. Kinda looks like something Barney in Mission Impossible would make. Maybe McGuiver :D