Convincing People To Vape

Todd

Hey Everyone:

I think one thing that I am surprised to find is that when when you talk to people who smoke about Vaping they become closed. I take it as that some smokers see something new like E-cigs as sort of a threat because they don't know what it is nor do they want to give up what they are comfortable with. I have spoken to some that ask "well I would try it if you had a flavor of the brand that they smoke, Like Benson & Hedges Menthol or a Marlboro Light and it has to be that or they are not willing to even try an e-cig. There is also a misconception that when I say I have been smoke free for xxx ,but I'm vaping that if you Vape that you are still smoking. (Not true as well all know). Just a observation.

I don't try to convert anyone ,I remember how upset I used to get when people picked on me.I just enjoy mine while they enjoy thiers.And then when we are done and they put thiers out so we can go in I just keep right on puffing.Eventually they start asking questions and some have bought in.

At work I still sometimes go to the "smoke shack" to vape when I need a good heavy vape (otherwise I just stealth vape in my office). Being in the smoke shack there are generally several people around so I have an audience whenever someone asks about it. I've noticed that some are genuinely interested and some not-so-much. Like McQuinn says, I've never tried to push anyone to trying it, but I do explain what it is, how it works and my experience with it.

Someone told me last week that they had seen someone out in the plant vaping on the line. Don't know if it was someone I had talked to, but you never know.

Edited by Brian

Well I will tell you that I work in the natural gas industry and it seems most workers are open to chat about it but when it comes down to it, I think that they think it is "Not manly enough" and that is a true observation. I have had friends make fun of me for vaping and I just tell em to light up another one. Some folks just don't get it. Every once in a while I have an extra tip that is new and I'll let someone try my VPPT or VP2 and they like it but it is the ego thing that probably gets in the way. So I say to all of you vapers who don't care what everyone thinks congratulations! It takes balls to be scrutinized and keep your head high, knowing you have chosen the better path regardless of what bird brained people think...

@Buford.. I think you need to stop vaping with your pink 510. :lol:

I only talk about it if people ask. Someone asked me about vaping today and luckily I carry the all new Vapor Talk cards with me and gave him one. :thumbup:

I only talk about it if people ask. Someone asked me about vaping today and luckily I carry the all new Vapor Talk cards with me and gave him one. :thumbup:

Hey man, only trying to point out some men's insecurity. It is a fact... a sad one... but Oh well..... not my problem. I am pleased with my goofy *** and I am not worried about what any one thinks for that matter..... 'cept fo you guys! LOL :D

Hey Everyone:

I think one thing that I am surprised to find is that when when you talk to people who smoke about Vaping they become closed. I take it as that some smokers see something new like E-cigs as sort of a threat because they don't know what it is nor do they want to give up what they are comfortable with. I have spoken to some that ask "well I would try it if you had a flavor of the brand that they smoke, Like Benson & Hedges Menthol or a Marlboro Light and it has to be that or they are not willing to even try an e-cig. There is also a misconception that when I say I have been smoke free for xxx ,but I'm vaping that if you Vape that you are still smoking. (Not true as well all know). Just a observation.

I remember as a smoker, I couldn't stand it (even though I knew they were right) when people tried to tell me I had to quit. I know it, its not a mystery but it was also none of their damn business. I wouldn't be surprised to have people have the same attitude about someone converting to vaping. I answer questions if asked, I'm menthol but now at parties I usually have some non-menthol if someone wants to try. I'm setting up a test kit for a few people with a bunch of regular and light flavors that said they would try it. Had to promise they would get the batts, atts and juices back to me once they figured out if it could work or not. Two friends still have stuff of mine and are still "trying it". Also have a "fact sheet" for the newbie that goes along with it, websites, starter info, etc.

Edited by FTJoe

I have had many people asking about it.. Even in stores.. get that look from people like im being a rebel... Like I was in HS.. haha.

But without having something that tastes decent makes it hard to give them a shot at it. & Will be easier once I have something that looks more appealing. & I bet lots will be asking tons of questions.. & Will Point them Here. As I am also working on links right now to Forums & Info.

Well I will tell you that I work in the natural gas industry and it seems most workers are open to chat about it but when it comes down to it, I think that they think it is "Not manly enough" and that is a true observation. I have had friends make fun of me for vaping and I just tell em to light up another one. Some folks just don't get it. Every once in a while I have an extra tip that is new and I'll let someone try my VPPT or VP2 and they like it but it is the ego thing that probably gets in the way. So I say to all of you vapers who don't care what everyone thinks congratulations! It takes balls to be scrutinized and keep your head high, knowing you have chosen the better path regardless of what bird brained people think...

What a trip, I know exactly the guys you're talking about! :D I've talked to a few smokers about vaping and gotten a similar brush-off. Their loss, but perhaps one day they'll remember and come to ask about it or do some of their own research. I hope so. There's a lot of truth in that saying, "You can't push a rope."

OT - My first good-paying job was on a natural gas pipeline in Hugoton, KS. Those were sure the days!

I've only been vaping for about a week now I guess (haven't smoked since I started - yay!) so I have limited experience with this, but I have told some people what I'm trying. When I show them their eyes kinda light up and their reactions have been pretty positive. I don't say "hey you should try this". I say "hey, I am trying this new thing, wanna see?" If they ask me about it and check it out, cool. If not, that's cool too. Plus, I think a person's own enthusiasm about what they are doing and the result is a seller sometimes. I have already been asked where I went and what suppliers can be trusted. I tell them to check this site out. I'm already breathing better than I was and I feel better. Other people see those things. :)

I remember as a smoker, I couldn't stand it (even though I knew they were right) when people tried to tell me I had to quit. I know it, its not a mystery but it was also none of their damn business. I wouldn't be surprised to have people have the same attitude about someone converting to vaping. I answer questions if asked, I'm menthol but now at parties I usually have some non-menthol if someone wants to try. I'm setting up a test kit for a few people with a bunch of regular and light flavors that said they would try it. Had to promise they would get the batts, atts and juices back to me once they figured out if it could work or not. Two friends still have stuff of mine and are still "trying it". Also have a "fact sheet" for the newbie that goes along with it, websites, starter info, etc.

I do the same thing when I go to the bar. But I always get my stuff back at the end of the night. I let them keep the cartridge so they don't forget about e cigs. I let them use my Volcano. If it doesn't come back then I'm only out $15.

<perk> They have Cards?!?! Could I get some? Who do I ask? Now that I know more about what I'm doing with my 801, I'm planning on getting some 'loaner units' for people who ask to smoke in my cab. {no more sweeping out ashes, spraying stuff to counteract the smell or *shudder* looking for burn holes!} The plan is still in the planning phase, so not an urgent need, but at some time...

As for convincing someone, my new catchphrase is, "No one should have to freeze for their nicotine." Ok, so maybe it wouldn't work down south or in the summer...

Edited by Dajamster

<perk> They have Cards?!?! Could I get some? Who do I ask? Now that I know more about what I'm doing with my 801, I'm planning on getting some 'loaner units' for people who ask to smoke in my cab. {no more sweeping out ashes, spraying stuff to counteract the smell or *shudder* looking for burn holes!} The plan is still in the planning phase, so not an urgent need, but at some time...

I got my cards when I ordered from the Vapor Talk store.

I got my cards when I ordered from the Vapor Talk store.

LOL, I guess it's a case of 'be careful what you wish for.' After the debacles with Smoking Everywhere & Smoke51, I kept wishing for a reliable supplier with good products. Now I'm spoiled for choice and having to figure out how to order from a bunch of deserving businesses... And now I have a really good reason to order from yet another.

Don't know how you got a <-1> rating on that post, so I clicked +1 for ya to take it back to 0. ;)

Er... that was me. My computer did something odd and when I got back to the post, I found that I had accidentally posted the same comment twice. I was trying to delete the copy. *Hanging my head and going to search the Help topics for how to delete posts.*

Er... that was me. My computer did something odd and when I got back to the post, I found that I had accidentally posted the same comment twice. I was trying to delete the copy. *Hanging my head and going to search the Help topics for how to delete posts.*

Don't know if you can delete a post, but you can "edit" it and delete everything out of the post. Don't know if that'll leave a blank post or not.

... but perhaps one day they'll remember and come to ask about it or do some of their own research. I hope so. There's a lot of truth in that saying, "You can't push a rope." /quote]

That fits me to a Tee. Hubby mentioned the electronic cigarette to me 3x. The 3rd x was a charm. But, I'm tellin' ya, the last thing I wanted to hear was a new way to feel like an even bigger failure. The first time the term Electronic Cigareete hit my ears, I totally dismissed it. Electronic??? How in the world can I puff an electronic? Is it a virtual reality software game or something just as stupid? (stupid to me, cuz I need the real thing). The 2nd hearing, I actually did a tad bit of research and viewed some videos. Whoaaa. It actually puffs!! In real life!!! I watched youtube for a solid month... then forgot about it.... until he mentioned it again. This time I rewatched the videos, found new ones to watch, learned more about the various types available... found this forum via Chris and Seans wonderful reviews (love their reviews!!)... and here I am... waiting for my first kit. It should arrive today, it's on schedule so far. :)

Long story short: Don't give up!!

Like Myself when I first bought a e-cig Envy Bliss for 25 at a tobacco shop.

Tried it and basically dismissed it and used it mainly for playing with vapor lol.

washed it in washer and dryer & it still worked.

its flooded now. too many drops when I woke up.

But from pack and half a day I dropped to 3/4 pack yesterday More today cause I haven't gone out to air it out.

But the mint has helped me & I do drink more water and lemonade now... & Crave spearmint gum & I hate spearmint gum.

But I do feel anyone could quit smoking using 1 of the e-cigs with the proper flavoring. with stock carts you won't enjoy..

But A Choice of different flavorings would be great for starters mostly minty types for me sofar.

Will make sure I have a minty flavor with me always & a blank cart & mint attie with me. Just in case someone wishes to try it.

It takes more then just seeing someone smoking it or a video on it to interest people. They need to try it for themself.

OK im getting carried away... I need to go clean my attie out. & hopefully get this coffee/chocolate cappuccino out of my attie...

Someone send me a broken 510 PT is there 1 for a 401? LOL I will take both haha.

Well I'm glad to say that I did get one person to try the e-cig. Actually one of the guys I work with asked a bunch of questions when he saw me puffing away in the trailer. I gave him some answers that I knew and then headed him toward the internet to check out some suppliers. He called me over the holidays and told me that he had gotten a 510 for his son. So far no new info, I hope it works out for him.

Since I started vaping 3 weeks ago I havent looked back. I've pretty much kept it to myself unless someone saw me using it. Then I will give them the low down on what it's about. I've never tried to push it on anyone either... as I know what it's like to be told I should quit smoking or try this method, etc. I hated that! I will say though that I sit in my office and vape away all day! That's one of the few good things about being in business for yourself I guess. When customers walk in I just lay it down and don't have to worry about smelling like the ashtray that I used to!!

Well I'm glad to say that I did get one person to try the e-cig. Actually one of the guys I work with asked a bunch of questions when he saw me puffing away in the trailer. I gave him some answers that I knew and then headed him toward the internet to check out some suppliers. He called me over the holidays and told me that he had gotten a 510 for his son. So far no new info, I hope it works out for him.

I love stories like that. Way to go! thumbsup.gif