First Squonk / MECH (dun-dun-daaaah)

mattythornton

Hey guys- decided it's time to look into the squonk and mech world - so I have a Geekvape Athena arriving later today- what should my first build be? Not really overly phased by blowing huge clouds (seems like somewhat of a pissing contest tbh) more after flavour.

It comes with the Athena RDA and although the build deck would allow me to fit a single coil in the guts the airflow would be off as you can't rotate it away from the coils (or where it thinks the coils should be). Also have a Dead Rabbit I can load up a bigger single coil if I want to (have some pre made SS and N80 fused clapton wire) if that's going to be my best bet...

And yeah- reason it's taken me so long to check it out is they do scare the **** out of me. So safety paramount. Will aim my build around the .25+ mark as I have a couple of different batteries I want to put thru it.

I've bought one (d'oh thought I had ordered 2 but seems not...) VTC5A as from what I've gathered it seems to be one of the safer batteries around but also have a few 25r's that I might have to swap out here and there while my lonely Sony is on charge... Until she gets a couple of friends that is

Any ideas guys? Sorry for such a long post but baby steps all the way with this Betsie.

[emoji106]🤞

Wow, nothing like jumpin right in there head first!  .25Ω is probably pretty close to what you will need.   I don't know what all you've done in regard to building and mechs so I don't know where to start.  I don't want to jot down a lot of rhetoric you already know.  .25Ω on a dual coils makes each coil .5Ω.  A single battery delivering the full 4.2V will deliver 8.2 amps to each coil or in other words, each coil will dissipate a little over 34 watts.  That's not too bad of a match up as long as you don't go too insane with the coil i.e. too exotic and bulky.  There are those who would say you are on the line pulling over 16A from that battery, but I personally don't see a problem with it.  Just use common sense and keep track of how warm the battery gets.  You don't need to be afraid of the things, just check and double check your resistance with the atty fully assembled.  Keep the mod clean.  If the mod starts heating up anywhere, inspect that area of the mod for dirt, carbon build up etc.  That heat will be pointing out a high resistance joint.  My favorite flavor builds remain to be a two core parallel Clapton.  I was surprised to see a recent youtube video that confirms that build per "wind tunnel" tests.  The air really hugs that configuration of coil if it is hitting the coil from the side.  Contrary to popular practice, the video indicates a direct hit on the coil rather than underneath.  Obviously nothing beats just trying different things on a particular atty.  Hope this gives you confidence.  I really sense you have the situation in hand.  

Walt is right on. I can just tell you what I do. I stick with Clapton's or fused Clapton's. I build to .28 to .35. I use a ohm meter to build on like the coil master 521 and if not sure I will check the build on a regulated mod to be sure. I will be hunting for a dead rabbit on Black Friday.
What I do works for me on a series mod. Duel coil. As long as you hit the right ohms you will be ok. More ohms is better till you learn. Have fun

Walt is right on. I can just tell you what I do. I stick with Clapton's or fused Clapton's. I build to .28 to .35. I use a ohm meter to build on like the coil master 521 and if not sure I will check the build on a regulated mod to be sure. I will be hunting for a dead rabbit on Black Friday.
What I do works for me on a series mod. Duel coil. As long as you hit the right ohms you will be ok. More ohms is better till you learn. Have fun

Cheers man that's pretty much what I was asking for- ideas not a tutorial. I generally run 316l fused claptons on my regulated mods but they usually hit about .18 area - might just start off with some 24g Kanthal parallels or even twisted pair for duals in the Athena and a single ni80 fused clapton in the dead rabbit. Confident the parallels will hit around the .28- .3 mark and the single fused around .3

Anyways my vape mail didn't hit me today so got another day to think it over :/

Cheers lads

81382347abb4c4313b93bf1e4aa4aec4.jpg284073e99cbec9406c1bacd2a663fa73.jpgf52acbef452e227b62b620a11f3dd7f0.jpg

6380c542d3dbca2a065ff73e7d7982b3.jpg42d27f1ec374e274580977bd387afec3.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171124/b7611eaabdc7064e75fed450c6db15a4.jpg[

Righteo- I'm done playing for the night. Put a few different builds thru both attys. Leaving to for now with just straight 26g 9 wrap Dual on the Athena RTA (3mm ID - meh- tried a couple different ideas on it but I usually need time to learn to build on a new RDA anyways. Can't just look at it ypet and figure what will work best.

Tried a slightly larger single coil Ni80 fused claptons in the dead rabbit at first but I think running a single straight down the guts puts it too far away the airflow. Went dual spaced and it pumps pretty good

Oh- quick one- my coilmaster ohm reader seems to be reading around 0.10 above both of my mods (both running Arctic Fox firmware). And ideas? Cheers

Both final resting builds came in between .24 - .26 ohm. Kinda happy with that [emoji2][emoji106]

And yeah I know there's a couple of wonky wraps on that back fused clapton - it is 3am over here give me a break lol

1 hour ago, mattythornton said:

81382347abb4c4313b93bf1e4aa4aec4.jpg284073e99cbec9406c1bacd2a663fa73.jpgf52acbef452e227b62b620a11f3dd7f0.jpg

6380c542d3dbca2a065ff73e7d7982b3.jpg42d27f1ec374e274580977bd387afec3.jpgimageproxy.php?img=&key=13401999546377e7https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171124/b7611eaabdc7064e75fed450c6db15a4.jpg[

Righteo- I'm done playing for the night. Put a few different builds thru both attys. Leaving to for now with just straight 26g 9 wrap Dual on the Athena RTA (3mm ID - meh- tried a couple different ideas on it but I usually need time to learn to build on a new RDA anyways. Can't just look at it ypet and figure what will work best.

Tried a slightly larger single coil Ni80 fused claptons in the dead rabbit at first but I think running a single straight down the guts puts it too far away the airflow. Went dual spaced and it pumps pretty good

Oh- quick one- my coilmaster ohm reader seems to be reading around 0.10 above both of my mods (both running Arctic Fox firmware). And ideas? Cheers

Both final resting builds came in between .24 - .26 ohm. Kinda happy with that emoji2.pngemoji106.png

And yeah I know there's a couple of wonky wraps on that back fused clapton - it is 3am over here give me a break lol

Bravo!   Lookin good Captain!  .1Ω is a pretty substantial deviation although it happens.  Not familiar with the Artic Fox but I know the tabs are not supper accurate.  I guess if the Tab is reading a few thousandths low and the mod a few thousandths high it could tolerance stack to .1.  As long as you're not on the edge of what the mod is rated to handle e.g. 0.11Ω and you are getting a good vape, I'm sure you're groovin.