i just came back from the dentist...

bzeisman

...and he gave me some gauze pads to take home with me.  I began thinking; "would this make for good wicking material for my rda?? its cotton, its sterile, hmmmm".

so for those of you who know, is it ok to use gauze pads as wicking material??

Whatever works for you. I read a couple of posts on another site that said they were using cotton from a Kotex as wicking material. Also some have used cotton from pill bottles. Lately I have been using cellucotton (rayon) from sally's beauty supply. As long as the cotton is sterile, and contains no chemicals I don't see a reason not to try it.

If it's from the dentist you're probably safe because it's probably 100% cotton.  I've heard and read mixed results with it.  If it works for you, by all means continue to use it.  If you buy it, though, make sure it is 100% cotton gauze.  There are some types of gauze out there that contain cotton/polyester blends.  That could lead to some very unpleasant results.

26 minutes ago, Adversarious1 said:

If it's from the dentist you're probably safe because it's probably 100% cotton.  I've heard and read mixed results with it.  If it works for you, by all means continue to use it.  If you buy it, though, make sure it is 100% cotton gauze.  There are some types of gauze out there that contain cotton/polyester blends.  That could lead to some very unpleasant results.

There are also some used by the dentist with a coating which creates a barrier to prevent leakage.  This coating is a type of plastic, similar to the plastic on the absorbent blood-pads you find under your meat from the grocery store... if it has a coating... don't use it to wick your coils!