McCarran-Walter Act

Some people in Congress and the news media says it unconstitutional to keep certain people from immigrating to the US, do they know about this law?

Known as the McCarran-Walter Act, the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1952 allows for the "Suspension of entry or imposition of restrictions by the President, whenever the President finds that the entry of aliens or of any class of aliens into the United States would be detrimental to the interests of the United States.

The President may, by proclamation, and for such a period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens as immigrants or non-immigrants, or impose any restrictions on the entry of aliens he may deem to be appropriate.

3 hours ago, FXRich said:

Some people in Congress and the news media says it unconstitutional to keep certain people from immigrating to the US, do they know about this law?

Known as the McCarran-Walter Act, the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1952 allows for the "Suspension of entry or imposition of restrictions by the President, whenever the President finds that the entry of aliens or of any class of aliens into the United States would be detrimental to the interests of the United States.

The President may, by proclamation, and for such a period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens as immigrants or non-immigrants, or impose any restrictions on the entry of aliens he may deem to be appropriate.

I forgot all about that one...But didn't it establish quotas of peoples  immigration from Europe and allow for more immigration from Japan and other Asian countries? I thought it was amended sometime in the 60's and some of the provisions for suspension were removed. Can't remember off the top of my head...time to dig out the old civics books.... I guess I'm getting old  UGH.

Edited by Edna
typo

4 hours ago, Edna said:

I forgot all about that one...But didn't it establish quotas of peoples  immigration from Europe and allow for more immigration from Japan and other Asian countries? I thought it was amended sometime in the 60's and some of the provisions for suspension were removed. Can't remember off the top of my head...time to dig out the old civics books.... I guess I'm getting old  UGH.

It also underwent major revisions after the September 11, 2001 attacks.

Most of it was repealed or changed, but the part I quoted is still on the books, and the patriot act contains similar wording. The last time it was used was by Jimmy Carter, when he banned immigration from Iran. The only reason I brought it up is most of the terror attacks lately have been committed by recent immigrants, from certain countries, and maybe we should look at stopping it temporarily.

Prior to 1952 immigration from Asian countries, was banned for the most part by a law passed in 1882, The McCarran-Walter Act removed the ban.

End of rant, have a nice day.

3 hours ago, FXRich said:

Most of it was repealed or changed, but the part I quoted is still on the books, and the patriot act contains similar wording. The last time it was used was by Jimmy Carter, when he banned immigration from Iran. The only reason I brought it up is most of the terror attacks lately have been committed by recent immigrants, from certain countries, and maybe we should look at stopping it temporarily.

Prior to 1952 immigration from Asian countries, was banned for the most part by a law passed in 1882, The McCarran-Walter Act removed the ban.

End of rant, have a nice day.

The immigration vetting process leaves much to be desired that's an understatement! Stopping it would until a very comprehensive process is in place is the most logical thing to do. The government is charged with protecting our  homeland something they have failed at on a monumental scale of late. The Oath of Office that they should be faithful to has been broken to an unheard of level. George Washington warned us of getting involved in other countries problems in his farewell address..which goes to show how brilliant our founding fathers were.