Coil killing dark juice

kerk

Ordered some juice from Mt. Baker. They post a 'darkness' rating on their juice, but I didn't pay attention to it. Like the juice, but it is really dark, and is destroying coils. Usually I get a week, with this stuff I only get about 3 days. Lesson learned.

Dark juices are sometimes a trade off. My all day vape is a dark, sweet coil killer but I wouldn't give it up. I've found that coils last a bit longer when I go with non-sub ohm resistances. These days I only use 1.8 ohm at 9.7W in an Aspire Triton 2 and the coils will last for nearly two weeks. Of course YMMV.

My all day vape is also dark and sweet. I use an Avocado RDTA so I can change the wick out and burn the gunk off every couple of days. I get about 2 weeks a coil that way. I generally vape at 0.3ohms and 28-29W. I experimented with prebuilts and found this worked best for me.

I hope you find a solution that works for you.

I've got a couple of really dark juices too... and yeah, they rip through coils, compared to my clearer or very light juices :(  But, I've found that if I use dark juices only with my RTA's, and like @Tam stay above 1.2 Ohms with my builds... I can usually get a week or more before I have to re-wick and clean the coil.  The coil itself can hold out 4-6 weeks if I dry-burn and re-wick about once a week.

If I use a pre-built coil... my 1.5 Ohm coils (12-15W) can last about 10-days on average (if I can re-wick them, I can get about 3 weeks before tossing them or fully rebuilding them).  Lower resistance coils don't last as long with dark juices....

Thanks for the input, but you have all 'out teched' me.  As far as 'ohms' and 'wattage', I'm still a newb.  I settled on 1.8 coils with 3.7v batts quite a while ago.

As I said, I like this juice ...... are there any simple changes a simple guy should make to accommodate it?  I just use a Kangor T3D tank. That and the standard batts have been good enough for me.

1 hour ago, Earthling789 said:

I've got a couple of really dark juices too... and yeah, they rip through coils, compared to my clearer or very light juices :(  But, I've found that if I use dark juices only with my RTA's, and like @Tam stay above 1.2 Ohms with my builds... I can usually get a week or more before I have to re-wick and clean the coil.  The coil itself can hold out 4-6 weeks if I dry-burn and re-wick about once a week.

If I use a pre-built coil... my 1.5 Ohm coils (12-15W) can last about 10-days on average (if I can re-wick them, I can get about 3 weeks before tossing them or fully rebuilding them).  Lower resistance coils don't last as long with dark juices....

@Earthling789

How many wraps are you using of kanthal A-1 for 1.2 ohm, it seems that that's a long coil or the diameter is pretty big?

7 minutes ago, kerk said:

Thanks for the input, but you have all 'out teched' me.  As far as 'ohms' and 'wattage', I'm still a newb.  I settled on 1.8 coils with 3.7v batts quite a while ago.

As I said, I like this juice ...... are there any simple changes a simple guy should make to accommodate it?  I just use a Kangor T3D tank. That and the standard batts have been good enough for me.

@kerk  I'm not sure... maybe thin it a little bit with pg or distilled water. I'm still fairly new to vaping as well. I switched to building because coils were too expensive for the juices I like :)

Edited by Edna

2 minutes ago, Edna said:

@Earthling789

How many wraps are you using of kanthal A-1 for 1.2 ohm, it seems that that's a long coil or the diameter is pretty big?

For 1.2 Ohm, usually 6/5 wraps of 28ga or 9/8 wraps of 26ga on 3mm mandrel....  I like a larger diameter (2.5-3.0mm) for better wicking of 50/50 or thicker juices.  I think my last one was 7/6 wraps (3mm mandrel) of 28ga for dead-on 1.4 Ohm on my Russian 91%?  Which was perfect for my Chocolate Raspberry juice :)  For my Subtank Mini RBA deck, 3mm works well too, but I've found 2.5mm and a macro-coil (coils spread out a bit) seems to vape better.

48 minutes ago, kerk said:

You can switch to a hotter coil... say a 1.5 Ohm?  Or, better yet, switch to a slightly different tank.  The T3D is a work-horse, but still as single-coil, and a small one at that.  The Kanger ProTank Mini 3 is the same size, and uses a dual-coil... which are available in many different resistances... 0.8, 1.2, 1.5, 1.8, 2.0... and will give you more variety in coils, while still keeping with the same eGo-style 3.7V battery.  Upgrading to a Variable Voltage eGo battery will give you more control too.  Furthermore, it might be time to upgrade to more modern mods (variable Wattage)?  You can still run them low power... which I like to point out... just because your car can do 100mph, doesn't mean you HAVE to do that pulling out of the driveway :)  You can run a 200W mod at 10W... no laws will be broken, lol.  Also, newer tank designs far out-pace the older T3D designs!

I forgot to mention the new Top-EVOD tanks... they still fit the Ego-style batteries, slightly larger, top-fill, and are Pyrex glass, so you can vape fruits and mints without worrying about cracking the plastic tank.

Also, if you like what you are using, you can thin your juice.... a few drops of PG (or distilled water) in the tank  (then shake well) will dilute it and thin it out nicely without altering the flavor too much (if at all).  Pure PG can be bought online or at most any pharmacy, and distilled water is available by the gallons at any grocery.

4 hours ago, Earthling789 said:

For 1.2 Ohm, usually 6/5 wraps of 28ga or 9/8 wraps of 26ga on 3mm mandrel....  I like a larger diameter (2.5-3.0mm) for better wicking of 50/50 or thicker juices.  I think my last one was 7/6 wraps (3mm mandrel) of 28ga for dead-on 1.4 Ohm on my Russian 91%?  Which was perfect for my Chocolate Raspberry juice :)  For my Subtank Mini RBA deck, 3mm works well too, but I've found 2.5mm and a macro-coil (coils spread out a bit) seems to vape better.

Thanks so much. I always learn so much from y'all :)

Ohm = the resistance level of the coil (coil heats up to heat the juice into vapor / the lower the resistance (ohm number), the hotter it is and faster it heats up the eliquid).

Watts/wattage and volts/voltage = how much power your battery is putting to heat up your coil. The higher the number here, the hotter it gets.

If you don't want to make any drastic changes from what you're using now, I'd go with a variable voltage Vision Spinner or Evod pen style battery. It's exactly like what you're using now except the bottom can be turned so you can turn the power up or down. This will give you more control over how you vape. Some juices like fruits will like a lower, cooler temperature while other flavors like bakery (pies, cakes, etc.) usually like it a little hotter. Just a thought.  :)