Dripbox Questions (Mod and Deck)

Bax

So, remember when I said I wasn't going to bother with "advanced" devices, and stick to my T18. Well guess what? LOL

I tried a friend's Kanger Dripbox and really liked it. So I ordered myself one and a few boxes of the rebuild-able coils. It's supposed to do 60 watts, and of course uses 18650 batteries. So here's question #1... I already have a few LG HG2 20A 3000mAh batteries that I use for some other things. Would those be adequate to run the Dripmod, or should I get a few with higher Amperage?

Question #2. My friend was using a Kanger replaceable deck/coil in his with the Kanger .2 Ohm coil build, and it seemed a bit too warm for my liking, even with the air flow wide open. Maybe it's just newbie vape sensitivity moving to an RDA. But Since the Dipbox came with a very nice rebuild-able Velocity style center deck thingy, I'm thinking of building my own coils, and shooting for somewhere between .5 and .7 Ohms for a cooler vape. Recommended resistance for the Dripbox is .2 Ohms. So stepping up to .5 or higher would still be safe, correct? That should also slightly increase battery life as well.

Question #3. Is it safe to use Stainless Steel wire for coils with this device? Or should I stick to Kanthal? I've studied up and know you need the real advanced Mods to run Titanium, and Nickle type coils, but unsure if Stainless would be possible to use with the Dripbox, so it's better I ask first.

I'm going down a Rabbit Hole I figured I wouldn't be interested in, but man oh man does Zeus E-Juice's  Banana Cream Pie taste WAAAAAAAAAAAAY better out of my friend's Dripbox than it does in my T18!!

1 minute ago, Bax said:

So here's question #1... I already have a few LG HG2 20A 3000mAh batteries that I use for some other things. Would those be adequate to run the Dripmod, or should I get a few with higher Amperage?

You will be fine with the HG2s.  60 watts is about the upper limit, but still within the limits.

3 minutes ago, Bax said:

Question #2. My friend was using a Kanger replaceable deck/coil in his with the Kanger .2 Ohm coil build, and it seemed a bit too warm for my liking, even with the air flow wide open. Maybe it's just newbie vape sensitivity moving to an RDA. But Since the Dipbox came with a very nice rebuild-able Velocity style center deck thingy, I'm thinking of building my own coils, and shooting for somewhere between .5 and .7 Ohms for a cooler vape. Recommended resistance for the Dripbox is .2 Ohms. So stepping up to .5 or higher would still be safe, correct? That should also slightly increase battery life as well.

A .5 ohm coil should be a bit cooler, but with that mod you are still pumping 60 watts through it.  The battery life will actually stay the same.  If it is set at 60 watts, your watts is what determines how much is being pulled from your battery.  When a mod uses wattage as its "regulation" the coil resistance will make no difference.

9 minutes ago, Bax said:

Question #3. Is it safe to use Stainless Steel wire for coils with this device? Or should I stick to Kanthal? I've studied up and know you need the real advanced Mods to run Titanium, and Nickle type coils, but unsure if Stainless would be possible to use with the Dripbox, so it's better I ask first.

Stainless should work fine, as long as your build is within the parameters of the mod.  Use Steam Engine to help you figure out what the best build to hit the target you are wanting.

I actually have gone from Kantal, to Ni200, to Titanium, to SS, and back to Kanthal.  I am running Clapton coils made of Nichrome and Kanthal.  It is hard to beat the flavor!

I hate to disagree with Jason, but the way I understand it the dripbox operates at battery voltage, which will give you slightly longer battery life if you use a .5 coil instead of a .2 coil, but I may be wrong again.

I'm not sure. The Kanger User Manual is rather lacking. I believe if the battery drops to 3.4 volts the mod won't function and it's time to recharge, if that makes any sense, or helps at all.

I'm already eyeing the Dripbox 160w kit, and assorted RDAs to use with it. I'll step up to that after a month or two of using the standard Dripbox, if I like the whole squonking thing enough. Would love to get a hold of an Authentic Velocity v2, but they seem to be rather hard to find and expensive. My friend who's more advanced than I in the world of vaping claims the Tobeco clones work just as well. But I dunno if I want to mess with a clone, cuz as I usually say in situations just like this... I don't want to blow my fool self up.

Edited by Bax

Some sites that sell them say they are a constant 60w, but other sites say they are regulated to 3.7 volts, a .2 coil at 60w outputs about 3.4 volts, can't get much info from Kanger. Most reviews I have read on them say as the battery drops in voltage the vape gets less. The 160w Dripbox is fully adjustable and also does TC, that would be my choice.

3 hours ago, FXRich said:

I hate to disagree with Jason, but the way I understand it the dripbox operates at battery voltage, which will give you slightly longer battery life if you use a .5 coil instead of a .2 coil, but I may be wrong again.

You could be 100% correct.  I don't know how it is regulated.  If it is a constant (regulated) Voltage, or battery Voltage, you are right.

There are quite a few of these new "semi-regulated" mods (for lack of a better term) and they don't explain exactly how they work.  I guess it could be am falling out of touch with the newer mods.

3 hours ago, FXRich said:

The 160w Dripbox is fully adjustable and also does TC, that would be my choice.

That sounds interesting!  I am really not in the market, but it looks good.  I have to have Variable Wattage, at a minimum.  TC is nice, I just don't use it, because my favorite mod sucks at it!

Edited by jasonculp

1 hour ago, jasonculp said:

There are quite a few of these new "semi-regulated" mods (for lack of a better term) and they don't explain exactly how they work.  I guess it could be am falling out of touch with the newer mods

I think it might be old technology that can handle more watts, which makes it new technology in a way. I read a few reviews on the dripbox 60w, the biggest complaint was battery life, also if you tighten the battery cover too tight it may autofire, which is not good. Other than the 2 things I mentioned people seem to like them.

Charged up the batteries last night, and started using it this morning. So far so good, and I like it. It seems to like to spit and pop quite a bit, especially after giving the squonk bottle a squeeze to make sure the wick is damp. Running it with the air flow about 3/4 open and it's not bad, but still kind of warm for my liking. Wide open is just too airy though. Battery life isn't too bad so far. I've been hitting it 5-6 draws an hour since 7am and it's still giving a warm full vape.

I could definitely see myself with the Dripbox 160 running at 30-40 watts with a .5 Omh build before too long. It would probably be even better with a better atomizer. Going to have to do some reading and find something squonkable. My friend told me he has an extra unused Tobeco Velocity 2 clone I could have if I want it. Still not sure if clones are a safe alternative though, I'm only a little over a month into vaping and have a lot to learn.

7 hours ago, Bax said:

Charged up the batteries last night, and started using it this morning. So far so good, and I like it. It seems to like to spit and pop quite a bit, especially after giving the squonk bottle a squeeze to make sure the wick is damp. Running it with the air flow about 3/4 open and it's not bad, but still kind of warm for my liking. Wide open is just too airy though. Battery life isn't too bad so far. I've been hitting it 5-6 draws an hour since 7am and it's still giving a warm full vape.

I could definitely see myself with the Dripbox 160 running at 30-40 watts with a .5 Omh build before too long. It would probably be even better with a better atomizer. Going to have to do some reading and find something squonkable. My friend told me he has an extra unused Tobeco Velocity 2 clone I could have if I want it. Still not sure if clones are a safe alternative though, I'm only a little over a month into vaping and have a lot to learn.

I have the Tobeco Velocity Clone.  It is the only dripper I use, but I don't use it often.  Mine is an excellent clone.  Clones of RDAs usually work fine.  Clones of mods are an entirely different story.  Mechanical Mod clones don't usually give too much trouble,  but electronic mods can be a bit dicey.

• 3 months later...

I just got a couple of bf RDAs to use on my dripbox and was curious about resistance because I still can't quite get my mind around ohms. I understand the whole watts, amps, and volts triangle, but I don't quite get how the resistance effects it all. Anyways my velocity 2 clone came with 2 coils that come out to .5 on my meter and I wasn't sure if that would create a bad vape. So what I get from the posts above is that it will just be a cooler vape. Does that also mean that there will be more suck through of non vaped ejuice? Thanks for any thoughts.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, bryanfritz said:

I just got a couple of bf RDAs to use on my dripbox and was curious about resistance because I still can't quite get my mind around ohms. I understand the whole watts, amps, and volts triangle, but I don't quite get how the resistance effects it all. Anyways my velocity 2 clone came with 2 coils that come out to .5 on my meter and I wasn't sure if that would create a bad vape. So what I get from the posts above is that it will just be a cooler vape. Does that also mean that there will be more suck through of non vaped ejuice? Thanks for any thoughts.

I have a 160w dripbox, and use a Aspire RDA on it. Currently I'm using a 2 coil SS316 setup that tests out at .47 ohms, was using a .32 setup, and that seemed to work better. I think I'll go back to the .32 setup. The big disadvantage to the RDA that comes with the dripbox is that it lacks a well to hold juice, so you have to squeeze the bottle more often to keep the wick wet. I'll keep trying different coil setups until I settle on one that works best for me. That's probably what you will end up doing, try different coil setups until you find what's best for you.

You didn't mention which Dripbox you use, with the 160w using SS coils I can control the vape temp, with the 60w you can't control the vape temp.

Edited by FXRich

Whoops, yea I have the 60w dripbox. I think I'm probably going to find a sweet spot around .4 ohms. I have been trying the velocity clone with the .5 and its Much cooler than the .2 ohms on the original Addy. I am going to see if I can't find some .3 ohm coils. I have heard good things about Clapton's and aliens and now that I have a deck that can support larger builds we will see where I end up. Alli know is its way better than any of the clearomizers I've tried.