Need some help I stick40 watt tc

Well, I put in a new coil this morning,I was a good girl and primed it and waited ten minutes for the juice to get in there. It does not ask me new load old load and I'm getting the ohms reading from my previous coil. Stainless,not temp control nickel, I made sure I switched modes.the other problem I have been having is that when I go above 30 watts I get a burning taste,if I am going to up the wattage,I take several hits to let the coil warm up.as you know in tc mode it stays locked at 40watts,I never have a problem.I am using a blend of 90/10.my coil is a kanger stainless 0.5.any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

It has been my experience that SS coils needs a little less wattage than Kanthal or Nichrome coils, for the same resistance coil. I may be wrong but that seems to be the case. I have no experience with the istick 40w TC mod, but the best way I have to unlock a coil is to press the fire button with no tank attached, the mod should show no resistance. Sometimes I have to do that with my Kanger 120w TC before it will ask if a new coil is being used. In power mode it should not ask if a new coil is being used. you didn't say if the ratio is 90% PG or 90% VG, if you are using 90% VG you may have a wicking problem. If you are using 90% VG a few drops of water in the tank will thin it enough to wick better.

If you are in Watt mode, you do not have to lock in the resistance. (If I read above correctly you are using the stainless coil in Watt mode). I have found that the Kanger coils do not wick thicker juices well, especially the vertical coils. Above 40pg/60vg with the vertical coils I pluck the cotton a bit out of the holes to loosen it up a bit.

I've only used two of my 0.5 Stainless coils, but I've found they do require less Watts than Nichrome or Kanthal of the same resistance.  As the guys above stated, if you're using 90%VG juice, the problem is with the juice thickness.  Do as @Squid suggested and pull some of the wick from the holes to make it wick better... either that or thin your juice with a little water or PG.  Very few "factory coil" tanks can wick juices thicker than 60-70% VG content.

Other than using water, you can do what I sometimes do, use a little fresh squeezed lemon or orange juice to thin it. Filter it with a coffee filter first so you don't get any pulp in your tank which can plug the cotton, I keep a small bottle of filtered lemon juice in the fridge just for that reason.