Tesla vortek coils

JonH

I've got a tesla vortex tank and I'm using a kanger 70w mod and I keep burning coils. Can somebody pleas help me out here and tell me what wattage I should use. I'm using the .2ohm coils. Not TC though

Edited by JonH
Misspelled

If you're not using TC, then I would suggest putting in a new coil after priming it first and letting it sit in the tank filled with juice for at least ten minutes or longer so the wick is thoroughly saturated. Start your power on a low setting like maybe 8 watts. Vape. If that's not doing it for you and giving you the vapor and flavor like you want, turn it up a little. Vape. Repeat until you get a slight burnt taste and then turn it down just a bit. That should be the sweet spot for that juice and coil combination. It shouldn't be burning up coils -- also, make sure you have enough air flow going through your tank. Give that a try then let us know if it works for you.  :) 

I've done all the things you mentioned with the first 3 coils. I finally got one to work but I also forgot to mention that I also have the tesla one ,the one that the tank actually came with, and it did the same thing so I really just dnt understand why all of a sudden it's doin this because I've been using this tank for about 5-6 months and it just recently started doin this. Is there something else it could be? Let me know what you think. Thanks

When you say you're "burning coils", what exactly is it doing? Are you getting a burnt taste? Or does the coil suddenly stop working?

You said you're using 80/20 juice, that's 80 PG/20 VG? If so, and you're getting a burnt taste/harsh vape, that could be the problem. You need a higher VG juice. If you have 80 VG/20 PG, then maybe the juice is too thick and your wick can't soak it up fast enough and you're getting a dry hit? If it's 80VG, try adding a drop or three of distilled (or at the very least some filtered water) into your tank to thin the juice out a bit. If you have PG, that would be better to add but water also works in a pinch. Might give that a try.

In rare instances you just get a batch of bad coils...

I use wicked red juice and it's 80VG. I think it's a bad batch. I got one to work finally but it's still not like it used to be and I Dnt understand why. I messaged the place I ordered the coils from and sent them pics as well. He said that they've been very pleased with the coils and in the year that they've been distributing them that this is the first complaint he's had. He said he was goin to test a random 5pack and get back with me. I hope that he can figure it out and give me some advice and replace them as well. And to answer your question it's tasting really burnt. It doesn't stop working but the taste is horible and it burns my throat pretty bad. 

This has all the ear marks of dry hits.

are you sure they are .2 ohm coils and not 2 ohm coils?

can you actually measure the coil resistance using a meter?  

What at is the actual description of the coils from the box or packaging?  Have you verified the settings on your mod so you are not in TC mode ? 

The description of the tank states that the tank comes with .5 ohm kanthal coils and .2 ohm nickel coils.  If that is what you have, then you were using TC mode on the .2 ohm coils and now somehow you are not using TC mode.  There is no way you are putting 30-40 watts on a nickel coil unless you are in power mode instead of TC.  That's my guess.  

Edited by Bebop

They are definitely .2ohm coils. I've used it on my tesla one which has no settings and the coil is the one recommended for it. I've never had any problems til recently. After it burnt on the tesla one I tried it on my kanger 70w and it did the same. I Dnt have a meter but on my kanger it was reading .3. Idk if that means anything but that's what it was reading. 

See my edit on previous post.

if it is the .2 ohm coil from tesla then you should be using a TC mode device only.  If you don't have a temp control device then you have to switch to the .5 ohm coils.

The tesla one doesn't have any setting. Its 100w max sub mod that comes with the .2ohm coil so why wouldn't it work if that's what they recommend. I'll try to send a pic

It won't let me send the pic because it's over 1.95mb

Basically it says

1x Tesla one sub mod

1xtesla vortek sub tank(0.5ohm)

1x Tesla vortek coil(.2ohm)

1x USB cable

1x manual

Yeah I'm not sure.

the Tesla One is described as an unregulated sub ohm mod.  That means on a fresh charge it could be putting out as much as 80watts on a .2 ohm coil.  And since you can't control it you have no way to "turn it down" other than let the battery fade in voltage from use.

the only other thing I could find is that the Vortek tank has a juice flow control and if you are using 80vg then you have to have that on max for sure.  Also you have to check your airflow control and balance between them.

im a little stumped. I personally don't like that setup as you have no control on the Tesla One. But that doesn't explain why the kanger is not working either. 

Get a a fresh coil.  Put it on the kanger and start on low wattage.  If the kanger has TC mode, use it.  If it doesn't set it at about 15 watts and work up from there.  And ma,ke sure the juice flow control on the vortex is wide open.

Edited by Bebop

Since the coil isn't a tc coil it won't let me change it to tc mode but this coil is working right so I guess it's all good just had a few bad coils. It still doesn't make sense why I can't use it on the mod it's made for. Thanks for all your help Bebop and Tam

7 hours ago, JonH said:

Since the coil isn't a tc coil it won't let me change it to tc mode but this coil is working right so I guess it's all good just had a few bad coils. It still doesn't make sense why I can't use it on the mod it's made for. Thanks for all your help Bebop and Tam

I really can't be much help, but looking at the coils, the juice control is on the coil itself.  I hate to ask, but are all 3 holes open?

It may not be 3 holes, but it says it has 3 sizes of holes.  I would put it on the largest one.

Edited by jasonculp

It doesn't have 3 holes for the juice to flow through. Its actually like three settings and u line up one of the 3 holes with the hole that the juice flows thru. So u kinda understand what I'm sayn.. The holes that line up with the juice hole are different sizes so it allows different amounts to flow through. If that .makes sense

But yea I did line up the biggest hole so the most juice can flow through

I'm glad you found something that worked. I was running out of ideas, lol. Personally, I prefer a mod where I have more control over how much power I use. It makes life so much easier that way to be able to customize the power for each different flavor and coil resistance.  :)