Itaste VV4 and Kangertech Protank 2

NewlyVapeLover

You set either the volts OR watts, you go with one at a time, not both at the same time -- if that makes any sense. So, if you're in wattage mode, set that. Leave it at that.

As for the "highest" you should go in watts or volts, start low and vape. If that doesn't do it for you, turn it up a little. Vape. Keep repeating that until you get a slight burnt taste or a harsh vape. Turn it down just a bit and that will be the sweet spot for that tank-coil-juice combination. Each one will be a little different so you'll just adjust each time. I've noticed that fruit flavors like lower heat while bakery flavors/coffee flavors like it hotter.

"Each time" Tam is referring to is each time you change coils, or change to a different juice.  Lower resistance coils like 1.5 or 1.8 will require a little more power (Wattage) than the 2.2 Ohm coil you're using now.  The one you're using now is a cooler coil... it takes a little longer to heat up, but is good for long draws because it heats slower.  If you want a little more heat, you may want to try a 1.8 Ohm coil... most of us prefer those in the KPT2.  Also, adding a Kanger air-flow-control base to your tank will give you more air-flow and is adjustable to make the vape more personalized.  The bases can be found online or at most shops for $3-7, and make your KPT2 that much better!

Welcome to Vapor Talk!

13 hours ago, Earthling789 said:

"Each time" Tam is referring to is each time you change coils, or change to a different juice.  Lower resistance coils like 1.5 or 1.8 will require a little more power (Wattage) than the 2.2 Ohm coil you're using now. 

Thanks for clarifying that, Earthling.  :)

Okay, it's been a long day and even longer week, and please correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't a lower resistance coil use less power to heat up due to the lower resistance in the wire?

12 minutes ago, Tam said:

Thanks for clarifying that, Earthling.  :)

Okay, it's been a long day and even longer week, and please correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't a lower resistance coil use less power to heat up due to the lower resistance in the wire?

Been a long week for me too, Tam... I totally empathize :D

If Wattage is held the same, the lower resistance coil will draw more Amps, because it has less resistance.  At 10W of power, a 2.2 Ohm coil draws 2.1A, and the 1.8 Ohm coil draws nearly 2.4A.  The lower resistance coil will heat and cool faster, which is great if you chain-vape, so you aren't cooking the juice with a coil that stays hot longer.  For a casual hit with a long draw, the higher resistance coil is better suited, IMO.  Both are so close to not really have much difference in power consumption, but the 1.5-1.8 Ohm coils are a good starting point for the new vaper...

Most people will use a higher Wattage with the lower resistance coil, to achieve a better vape (flavor, vapor production, warmer), so the lower resistance coil will require even more Amps (power) because you'd likely dial it up to 12-13W (if 10W tasted good on the 2.2 Ohm coil).

2 minutes ago, Earthling789 said:

Been a long week for me too, Tam... I totally empathize :D

If Wattage is held the same, the lower resistance coil will draw more Amps, because it has less resistance.  At 10W of power, a 2.2 Ohm coil draws 2.1A, and the 1.8 Ohm coil draws nearly 2.4A.  The lower resistance coil will heat and cool faster, which is great if you chain-vape, so you aren't cooking the juice with a coil that stays hot longer.  For a casual hit with a long draw, the higher resistance coil is better suited, IMO.  Both are so close to not really have much difference in power consumption, but the 1.5-1.8 Ohm coils are a good starting point for the new vaper...

Most people will use a higher Wattage with the lower resistance coil, to achieve a better vape (flavor, vapor production, warmer), so the lower resistance coil will require even more Amps (power) because you'd likely dial it up to 12-13W (if 10W tasted good on the 2.2 Ohm coil).

Wow. And I even followed all that.  :evil:

I was basing it on my vaping style, which is to use a 1.8 ohm coil but only at 8W. I go up to 9.4W when I'm feeling adventurous.  :lol:

6 minutes ago, Tam said:

Wow. And I even followed all that.  :evil:

I was basing it on my vaping style, which is to use a 1.8 ohm coil but only at 8W. I go up to 9.4W when I'm feeling adventurous.  :lol:

9.4W is adventurous?  Well, I'm not much better... I mostly run 1.2 and 1.5 Ohm factory coils, and build my RBA's to 1.0-1.4 Ohm, which means I hover my MODs between 12 and 20W for the most part :D

No wonder you love those iStick 50W boxes... at 8W, I bet they last you 4 days between charges :D

3 minutes ago, Earthling789 said:

9.4W is adventurous?  Well, I'm not much better... I mostly run 1.2 and 1.5 Ohm factory coils, and build my RBA's to 1.0-1.4 Ohm, which means I hover my MODs between 12 and 20W for the most part :D

No wonder you love those iStick 50W boxes... at 8W, I bet they last you 4 days between charges :D

Yep. I've gone the subohm, high watts route but don't like the warm to hot vape. Cooler is my sweet spot.

Even chain vaping, the iStick 50W lasts between 4 and 5 days between charging.  :D

So 1.8 is lower resistance? Sorry this kinda thing hasn't stuck for me yet. This itaste VV 4 goes through coils very quickly it seems like, I had been getting that nasty burnt taste, and was trying to understand it and found another coil in the kit it came in. I put that coil in and very quickly the wicks became gunky. I washed it off but I don't know what i'm doing wrong...

9 minutes ago, FXRich said:

If the coil is getting gunky very quickly it could be the juice you are using, some juice will gunk up a coil faster than other juices.

Aw. dang i'll have to try a different one once I get new coil, since when i cleaned this one it would not come real clean, barely could get gunkyness off

Darker, sweet juices will gunk up a coil faster than something that's light in color and not as sweet. I can use the same type of coil with a cucumber/mint juice for over a month and it will perform just as well as when I first put it in. That same coil used with a chocolate candy flavor gunks up within one week's time.

Take that coil that you rinsed in water and soak it in some vodka or Everclear overnight. Rinse and let dry another night. That should help ungunk it.

Just now, Tam said:

Darker, sweet juices will gunk up a coil faster than something that's light in color and not as sweet. I can use the same type of coil with a cucumber/mint juice for over a month and it will perform just as well as when I first put it in. That same coil used with a chocolate candy flavor gunks up within one week's time.

Take that coil that you rinsed in water and soak it in some vodka or Everclear overnight. Rinse and let dry another night. That should help ungunk it.

I'm 20 ... i don't have any vodka :(