Need help deciding!!! Please!

Karen B

I have an opportunity to buy ONE of these three mods.. I can purchase an innokin disruptor, a sigelei Mini 30 watt or an IPV D2. I am really not sure what way to go.. I have been using the mini istick and the istick 30 watt, I am just over the isticks and want something new. Just don't know which way to go. I know with the Disruptor, I don't need to buy an 18650 battery and the other two I do, but other than that.. I have no clue, Could you please help me figure this out!?!

Thanks!!!!!

Here is how I would look at your dilemma. With 2 of them you need to buy batteries and a charger. With the other it is charge and go.

1. Is the added expense for a charger and batteries in your budget?

2. Is the hassle of changing batteries what you want to do on the fly?

3. Making sure you have charged batteries with you a non issue?

If you answer no to at least two of these, go with the Disruptor.

If these things do not bother you or are not a big deal, the IPV D2 would be the best choice.

(These are my opinions only. Other people may tell you different.)

I am crazy about my IPV D2. It is awesome, comfortable, compact, simple and has the option for temp control if you so desire.

You also can charge it without taking the battery out if you want.

20151022_120205_HDR.jpg

Thank You both!! I was really just having a hard time deciding. There are things I liked about all three, and I believe all three can be charged with USB. I know one goes as low as 5 w - 30 W, , then one is a 6 w - 50  one is a 7 w - 75 w. I probably won't ever get above 15-25 watts any ways... I just wanted something different and am really just getting bored with the isticks. Thanks again for your help!!!

I really like the D2 myself.  I also have the Sigelei mini too.  The D2 is much more comfortable in your hand, and it also gives you a lot of room to grow.  75 watts, plus the possibility of Temp Control.

The only down side to the D2 is you it does not have step down.  There is a workaround, but if you are running it in wattage mode it will not put out less than battery voltage.  This may not be a problem if you are using a higher ohm atomizer.

I have no experience with the Disruptor, but Innoken has always built good products.

If you do go with a mod that uses an 18650 please buy your battery from a reputable dealer, and buy a name brand.  Here are a few good choices:

Liion Wholesale - HG2

Illumn - HG2

or

Liion Wholesale - 25R

Illumn - 25R

Edited by jasonculp

Are those your only 3 choices?  If not, let me also suggest the Cloupor Mini (30W), mini-plus (50W TC), and GT (80W TC).  The 30W mini is identical to the Sigelei in size/function and runs less than $30.  The 50W right now at 101Vape.com is $29 with coupon code Vapetober!

Another good built-in-battery mod is the Wismec Presa... standard 40W version and the 40W TC version run from $27-49 depending on where you buy and which version.  They're as well made as an Innokin MVP, too.

I've not tried the Koopor yet, but it's getting good reviews, and is also a sub-$40 mod as well... (also uses 18650's).

To me, charging batteries separately and keeping them handy for switch-out is what makes ultimate convenience... you're never without power, and never have to worry about finding your cord or being tethered to the cable while it charges!  Yes, there's the added expense of batteries and charger, but $25 extra will buy a pair of quality batteries (from Jason's list above) and a good NiteCore charger :)

The only down side to the D2 is you it does not have step down.  There is a workaround, but if you are running it in wattage mode it will not put out less than battery voltage.  This may not be a problem if you are using a higher ohm atomizer

can you explain that Jason? Because mine definitely steps down......???

can you explain that Jason? Because mine definitely steps down......???

I have not tested it myself.  I never run under 40 watts..lol.  There is a huge thread over on another board that says it does not step down in wattage mode.  It will step down in TC mode.  People are getting it to step down by tricking it to run in TC mode with Kantal (It does not control temp, but it allows it to step down)  This may have been changed when they updated the firmware a few months ago.  Mine is an original with V2.0 firmware, the newer ones are V3.0, if I recall correctly.

I will check it out tonight after work, if I have a chance.

I have not tested it myself.  I never run under 40 watts..lol.  There is a huge thread over on another board that says it does not step down in wattage mode.  It will step down in TC mode.  People are getting it to step down by tricking it to run in TC mode with Kantal (It does not control temp, but it allows it to step down)  This may have been changed when they updated the firmware a few months ago.  Mine is an original with V2.0 firmware, the newer ones are V3.0, if I recall correctly.

I will check it out tonight after work, if I have a chance.

That's interesting.  I never noticed because it's silly - I mean I don't that you'd ever run it lower especially in sub ohm.  So I guess it's kind of moot. Anyway, I did a little experiment where I dropped a .6 ohm coil down to 7 watts and it definitely is firing the coil at what would appear to be a higher voltage.  I did a bit further research and it seems that it will step down to the battery's minimum voltage output and it appears to be so.

As I said I, think it's a non issue because I can't think of a time when you would fire a sub ohm coil at that low of a voltage anyway. When I do just an empiric test there doesn't seem to be much of a difference when I fire a .5 ohm coil at 7w up to about 15 or 16w, then it starts to jump up so there's definitely something going on there. 

That's interesting.  I never noticed because it's silly - I mean I don't that you'd ever run it lower especially in sub ohm.  So I guess it's kind of moot.

I totally agree.  There is a lot of people complaining about it, but I really don't understand it.  If you are a low wattage vapor, you would probably run a higher ohm coil, like a 1.8 or so.

I did learn a few things though.  With a fairly fresh battery (4.12V) it was putting 3.94V to the coil at 7 watts.  So the board is effectively ~95% efficient at that voltage, which is pretty impressive. (This may not be correct, to test it right I need to check battery voltage at the same time as the output voltage.)

If you run a 1.8 ohm coil it will only be putting out around 8 watts which should be low enough for just about anyone.

I also learned that 1 J (on a Yihi chip) = 1 watt.  I do understand that this is not what true Joules are, but that is what the read out is saying.

I made a Kanthal .8 ohm coil.  Put it in Joules (TC) mode turned the temp up to 575, and locked the resistance in.  I then turned it down to 10J.  When I fired it, it applied only 2.83V to the coil, which is 10 watts calculated. So the workaround does work.

All the nerdy stuff aside, I still feel like it is one of the best single 18650 mods out there.  I have had excellent luck with the ipv series and think it would be a great step up from an Istick.  I really like my VTC mini, it has a great screen and all kinds of options, but it has some little glitches that makes it hard for me to recommend it to a beginner.