eleaf istick w/kangertech protank 2

tdh0085

i just got an eleaf istick v1 and im using a kpt2 on it...

1. is that a good setup in general?

2. on the lowest voltage (3.6W/3.0V) it still kinda burns my throat. is that typical with my setup? it says its at 2.5Ohm's on the screen.

3. any other advice for my setup?

I also have the Aspire Mini Nautilus tank. I know that this is a better option for the istick but I don't have a coil for it yet so im using the kpt2 for now.

When you say you have an Eleaf iStick v1, are you talking about the iStick 20W, iStick 30W, iStick 50W or the 40W TC (temperature control)?

The 20W doesn't read the temperature correctly in watts and even in voltage mode, it tends to run hotter than what the screen says. The others are more accurate.

If you're using the 20W, switch over to voltage mode and set it as low as it will go. Vape. If that doesn't do it for you, turn it up just a little, vape. Continue to go up slowly until you get a slight burnt flavor or a harsh vape. Turn it down a notch. That's your sweet spot for that juice.

The KPT2 is a very good tank and is a good, solid set up in general, especially for someone who is new to vaping.

Another thing that could cause the "burning" of your throat (what we call "throat hit"), is how much PG is in your juice. More PG, more throat hit. More nicotine, more throat hit. What is the level of nic and PG/VG ratio in the juice you're using?

this is the type of juice im using

http://www.vermillionriverejuice.com/Summer-Breeze_p_108.html

I didn't realize it was 20mg lol im used to 12...

and I have the 20W version

maxes out at 11.6W/5.4V

goes down to 3.6W/3.0V

when i set it as low as it goes it still gives a throat hit, I know now that its only because its 20mg nicotine when im only used to 12mg.

the juice doesn't tell me the PG/VG ratio

it says 20mg/ml - 2.0%

20 mg of nic will give a pretty hard throat hit. If your juice is also higher in PG, that will only add to it. Then, depending on the flavor, that could also cause it to give a kick. Something like peppermint, something high in citric acid or cinnamon (like red hots candies), will also add to the harshness. More VG in a juice will smooth it out, but be careful with VG, too much and it will be too thick to wick properly, which will also cause dry hits and... harsh vapor. The most I'd use in the KPT 2 would be a 30PG/70 VG, and that's pushing it a bit.

If you're using the 20W with a 2.5 ohm coil, switch it over to voltage and then turn it down as far as it will go. That should help it some.

Any company that sells juice and don't list PG/VG ratios I would not buy from, (I checked their website) That's one reason I started DIY my juices. Most juice sites list PG/VG ratios and some give you a choice what ratio you want. For all you know they might buy bulk from China and put it in bottles. Just my opinion.

thank you very much for your help, just one more quick question, I have a silver Panzer battery also. are they good? I tried it with the kpt2 and it BARELY hit. maybe the battery was low so im charging it to see if that helps. my friend told me they make real Panzers and fake ones. the brass button on mine that you push to hit it is brass with a gas mask and a 1740 stamped on it. idk if that means anything

this is what it looks like...

http://www.dhgate.com/store/product/panzer-mod-clone-mechanical-mod-e-cig-black/252270555.html#sd1-11-1a|3252739781

Edited by tdh0085

Sorry, I'm not familiar with Panzers but most 18650 batteries put out around 3.7V on a full charge. With 2.5 ohm coil, that's quite a bit of resistance. On a mechanical mod and using a stock coil, you'd be better off with a 1.5 ohm or 1.8 ohm coil instead.

Edited by Tam

I had the Summer Breeze 20mg liquid in there when I started this thread I think that why I said it was a harsh hit. I dumped that out and put in 12mg Mountain Do ( they spell it "Do lol) and put it on 3.8V instead of 3.0 and it his perfectly with the 2.5Ohm. when I first put the tank on the istick 20W, it said 2.5Ohm then I took it off and tried a diff battery then put it back on the istick and it said 2.7Ohm then went down to 2.6Ohm. is that normal for it to change like that? and is there any other info at all that will be of use to me? im kinda new to vaping. ive used them a lot but I don't know a lot of the technical stuff just yet.

The iStick 20W is notorious for not being accurate when reading coils' resistance and also for not being accurate with the temperature output, which is why I had you change it from watts to voltage mode. The voltage mode, while not completely accurate, is still closer than the wattage. As you vape longer on a coil, the resistances will change a little (although I wouldn't trust the 20W as much), due to gunk build up on your coil from the juices. This is normal. Read through threads on this forum, you'll learn a lot of stuff about vaping even if you don't understand it all at first. Ask lots of questions, our members are friendly, helpful sorts around here.  :)