Horizon Arctic vs Kanger Subtank Mini?

duke9023

I'm debating between these two Subtanks and was wondering if anyone who may have expierence with either of the two could share there thoughts...This will be my first Subtank so which would be best for FLAVOR and Clounds...More interested in Flavor than Clouds.....And will be running it on a 50 Watt Box Mod

I'm using the Subtank mini on a Sigelei 100w plus and I love it. I use primarily 50/50 or 40/60 PG/VG juices with the .5 ohm coils (haven't used the RBA deck yet). Kanger recommends 30 watt max with the .5 ohm coils, but I've gone a little higher with it. I have found that my favorite daily juice tastes (50/50 PG/VG, lemon/menthol) tastes best at around 40 watts with the airflow wide open. And I get some amazing clouds from it.

I would like to hear some thoughts on the Arctic as well though. I've been considering one myself, but Subtank mini definitely rocks.

I'm using the Subtank mini on a Sigelei 100w plus and I love it. I use primarily 50/50 or 40/60 PG/VG juices with the .5 ohm coils (haven't used the RBA deck yet). Kanger recommends 30 watt max with the .5 ohm coils, but I've gone a little higher with it. I have found that my favorite daily juice tastes (50/50 PG/VG, lemon/menthol) tastes best at around 40 watts with the airflow wide open. And I get some amazing clouds from it.

I would like to hear some thoughts on the Arctic as well though. I've been considering one myself, but Subtank mini definitely rocks.

Didn't know whether I should edit my original comment or comment on my comment. I opted for the latter.

I was able to try out an Arctic Subtank today. I rocked. .2 ohm at 50 watts. Biggest cloud I've blown to date...and I wasn't trying to blow a big cloud.

Airflow and flavor were both awesome. It comes with a .5 ohm and a .2 ohm coil. They have a 3rd available, but I can't remember off the top of my head...1.2 ohm I think. I checked out a review on Youtube after trying it and the coils look well built and are well wicked.

Biggest drawback for me is the 3ml tank. I commute quite a distance and have come really close to finishing a full 5ml in a 2.5 hour drive. I'll probably pick one up anyway, but I hope they release a bigger tank.

i have both the subtank mini and the artic tank.  I love them both.  The artic does have a  a 0.2 coil and is stated to go up to 80 watts.  The subtank claims 30w max.  The arctic is a bit of a pita to fill if you have a eye dropper and you really cant pour your liquid in the tank.  I use unicorn bottles and they seem to work perfect.  So i give easy fill to the subtank.  In terms of airflow, the arctic  has a lot more air flow.  The arctic doesn't have the bands the sub uses.  Sometimes the bands are a nuisance however i like the look they give the subtank.

I believe the arctic is cheaper; its around 35, i am not sure what the subtank mini is going for at the moment.  The subtank does come with an rta and the artic does not.  If you like to build your own coil that might something you would enjoy.  The subtank just released different color bands, i like that you can change up the look for about 3 bucks.  Now on rare occasion the subtank might leak a small amount, to this date the arctic has not leaked at all.

i have both the subtank mini and the artic tank. I love them both. The artic does have a a 0.2 coil and is stated to go up to 80 watts. The subtank claims 30w max. The arctic is a bit of a pita to fill if you have a eye dropper and you really cant pour your liquid in the tank. I use unicorn bottles and they seem to work perfect. So i give easy fill to the subtank. In terms of airflow, the arctic has a lot more air flow. The arctic doesn't have the bands the sub uses. Sometimes the bands are a nuisance however i like the look they give the subtank.

I believe the arctic is cheaper; its around 35, i am not sure what the subtank mini is going for at the moment. The subtank does come with an rta and the artic does not. If you like to build your own coil that might something you would enjoy. The subtank just released different color bands, i like that you can change up the look for about 3 bucks. Now on rare occasion the subtank might leak a small amount, to this date the arctic has not leaked at all.

I paid $45 for my mini at a B&M. I have seen them as low as $40 and as high as $55 at B&M's. $35 to $40 is what I've seen the Arctic going for. I haven't checked online, but they can probably be found for less that way. I might be in the minority, but I personally prefer B&M's.

I ordered the Subtank Mini the other day for $30 bucks from Vaporider.net ...... Thinking about picking up the Arctic in the near future...Subtank Mini is gonna be the first time I ever sub ohm so i'm still a newbie to going low on ohms....

I usually vape about a 60/40 or 50/50 PG/VG ratio on my iClear 30 and Nautilus Mini as I like the throat hit...Do you think I should switch to a blend of E-Juice with a little more VG in it now that I will be using the Subtank? I've heard some people say that with these subtanks and sub ohming that it makes the e juice a little more harsh or stronger throat hit....I also usually vape around a 12mg to 15mg nicotine also heard when you sub ohm you should go with lower mg of nicotine....

when i started utilizing my mech mods at 25w or more i had ot drop my nic level.  It'e not the tanks but the power your using on them. i quickly went from 18 mg to below 10mg.  You could still do 50/50 unless your seeking more vape then up your vg.

I got the subtank mini in the mail today vaped on it with the .5 ohm coil a bit and it either puts out so much vapor or the nicotine level or PG/VG ratio I was using just had me all choked up almost as soon as I started hitting it I was coughing up a lung...is this something that takes a bit to get use to as far as subohm and coughing or what? I was using a 8mg Nicotine 50/50 blend ......I think it's also fair to say that I'm use to mouth to lung hitting on my iclear 30 and nautilus mini so does straight lung inhales take awhile to adapt to?

Edited by duke9023

I got the subtank mini in the mail today vaped on it with the .5 ohm coil a bit and it either puts out so much vapor or the nicotine level or PG/VG ratio I was using just had me all choked up almost as soon as I started hitting it I was coughing up a lung...is this something that takes a bit to get use to as far as subohm and coughing or what? I was using a 8mg Nicotine 50/50 blend ......I think it's also fair to say that I'm use to mouth to lung hitting on my iclear 30 and nautilus mini so does straight lung inhales take awhile to adapt to?

Same thing happened to me when I first used my sub ohm tank I just figure a straight lung hit takes a bit getting use too Prior to vaping everything I smoked was always mouth to lung. Somethings I didnt inhale I just liked the way it smelled lol

Edited by cany

Same thing here. I think was a combination of the PG/VG, nic level and not being used to lung hits. Mostly lung hits. I can now vape 50/50 with 6mg nic with no problem in my Subtank mini with the .5 ohm coils, although I do prefer higher VG in it.

A smaller drip tip and short inhales worked for me in getting used to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the help guys, one last question...What would be the highest VG ratio you could run in this subtank mini without running into dry hits or whatever? I was thinking about some 20 PG 80 VG but I don't want to get dry hits 

Thanks for all the help guys, one last question...What would be the highest VG ratio you could run in this subtank mini without running into dry hits or whatever? I was thinking about some 20 PG 80 VG but I don't want to get dry hits

A couple of other factors to consider are airflow, the length of your draws and the wattage setting on your device. I have used liquids as high as 85% VG in my subtank mini without dry hits, but I keep my draws short...usually 1 to 3 seconds., I usually set my wattage between 26.5 and 27.5 watts, and I like my airflow wide open. Anything longer in terms of length of inhale or higher in terms of wattage and I do get dry hits on it.

Basically, whether you end up with dry hits is going to be directly affected by your personal vaping preferences. From my personal experience, if you are trying to cloud chase with the .5 ohm occ coils, you likely will end up with dry hits, but if you want a satisfying vape with decent clouds and good flavor, then you will likely be happy.

Edited by Adversarious1

Thanks yeah I'm really not trying to cloud chase and get what you are saying....I have noticed tho that the liquid doesn't wick up into the coil as fast with the RBA section in, would be nice if the juice ports on the RBA deck were bigger