What build to replicate plug and play coils?

jasonculp

I have a Sub Tank Mini that will be here tomorrow. I also got a 5 pack of the OCC 1.2 ohm coils.

I really don't like all of the builds I have done with RTAs and my all day vape. Most of them was dual coil ranging from .33 all the way up to 1.5 in the Billow. I tried closing airflow and opening it up. I have since parted ways with the Billow. I want to try this again with the Kanger build deck when it arrives. I don't want a flavor blasting, cloud chasing build. I want something that is close to my Delta or my Nautilus, but that I build. My juice gets overpowering with the 1.5 ohm dual Tiger coils that Comp made for me. It tastes great, but too intense for me. I have 32ga, 30ga, 28ga, and 26ga Kanthal. I have organic cotton (balls), silica, and rayon for wicking. I can make twisted wire if need be.

Any advice would be appreciated!

I think you should try the stock coil head in the tank and decide what you like or don't first. Each tank or rta will give different experiences, for you to tune in a build you will need to vape it first and then tweek to your needs.

You are exactly right! I do plan trying it with all the supplied coils, and may just stick with that. I just can't resist trying a build on it!

It sounds like a good tank/rta, given your concerns about flavor/clouds it seems like it will be a very personal thing for you. The sub tank series has been marketed as a cloud chasers tank with .5 ohm coils and wide open airflow + a build deck. The overall concept it still for large vapor production. IMO

Edited by fishguy1123

It sounds like a good tank/rta, given your concerns about flavor/clouds it seems like it will be a very personal thing for you. The sub tank series has been marketed as a cloud chasers tank with .5 ohm coils and wide open airflow + a build deck. The overall concept it still for large vapor production. IMO

I know I am a little weird. I do like the large vapor, and the big flavor, but sparingly. I only use my drippers about once or twice a month. I am really on a hunt to replace my nautilus/delta for my all day vape. The Delta 19 was great on flavor and has more airflow than the Nautilus, but kept getting unburnt juice in the drip tip. I cleaned it 5 or 6 times a day but the heartburn continued. The other down side was the coils are even more expensive than the Nautilus. When I got the 30 watt iStick i switched back to the Nautilus. It has been ok but just want to try something different. It may not be the tank for me.

For my RTA's, I like 1.3 - 1.8 Ohm ranges.... Not a cloud-chaser, but I want my flavor "smooth", not hot or harsh...

On my Russians, what tastes best is 1.3 - 1.4 Ohm single-coil (30ga or 28ga macro coil, built on 2mm mandrel). Generally, around the 12W range seems to be best with my IPV-mini.

On my Kayfun V4, what tastes best is 1.6 - 1.8 Ohm single-coil (28ga micro coil, built on 2mm mandrel). A 1.4 Ohm macro coil tasted pretty good, but was overpowering, which is why I tried a micro coil with a tiny higher resistance.... it helped a LOT! I've been using the V4 on a mech-mod, lately, so 3.8 - 4.1V range.

For my RTA's, I like 1.3 - 1.8 Ohm ranges.... Not a cloud-chaser, but I want my flavor "smooth", not hot or harsh...

I can totally understand. I thought I really liked big clouds and big flavor all the time, but it isn't true...the flavor was "harsh"...the best description I have heard! thank you.

On my Russians, what tastes best is 1.3 - 1.4 Ohm single-coil (30ga or 28ga macro coil, built on 2mm mandrel). Generally, around the 12W range seems to be best with my IPV-mini.

On my Kayfun V4, what tastes best is 1.6 - 1.8 Ohm single-coil (28ga micro coil, built on 2mm mandrel). A 1.4 Ohm macro coil tasted pretty good, but was overpowering, which is why I tried a micro coil with a tiny higher resistance.... it helped a LOT! I've been using the V4 on a mech-mod, lately, so 3.8 - 4.1V range.

I seem to run a bit hotter than you. I am currently running my Nautilus at 14 watts. It seems to work fair, but I think my juice may be slightly on the thin side to run this hot. I seem to inhale unburnt liquid if I chain vape.

I really want this to work. I will be happy if the factory coils work, I just want the option. I didn't give the Billow a fair shake, I tried about 4 builds on it, then went to my dripping build, which worked great, then filled it with my dripping juice and vaped myself dizzy...now I no longer like my dripping juice...

First Build, I kinda screwed up. I guessed at the mandrel size and it turned out to be 3.4mm I did 6 wraps of 30 gauge. I came out to 2 ohms. I was shooting a little lower but it is working ok. At 15 watts it was pretty close to the flavor of the stock 1.2ohm but much more vapor. I ran it up to 20 watts and it is just a little too much for me. Flavor is really intense and the vapor is great. This haphazard attempt has shown me that I can make the RTA work and if I ran out of factory coils, it wouldn't be a problem. I will keep it at 15 watts and run it for a while.

I hate to make early predictions, but this is a versatile tank. I think with the factory 1.2 coils and a lower/middle airflow setting it is a good upgrade from the Nautilus and Delta 19. I have not built anything SubOhm, or used the .5 ohm coil yet, but I am fairly sure it would produce adequate vapor for most RDA users with the proper juice. It is a fairly good value for under $40 + shipping. 2 coils, build deck, extra orings, and an extra glass tank.