Unsafe?

ATFD48

I was at a local B&M store today, just checking things out as I'm still very new and learning. Long story short, another gent came in with a defective coil in his KPT II. It was leaking out the bottom of the coil and onto the top of his battery. They told him his tank was defective, because the plug at the bottom of the coil, where the leads contact the battery, no longer had threads left.......... Red flag one....

However, they wound up selling him a mech mod and a rda. The sales man built him 2 coils, fired them, packed them with cotton, etc..... But he never tested the resistance. He "knew" this would be a .5 ohm build.

Does this seem unsafe, or am I missing something? Not to even mention they told him his tank was bad, because the plug in the bottom had no threads left. There are no threads, it threads in from the other side!

Edited by ATFD48

Don't know anything about building coils since that just isn't my thing, but if I knew for certain the guy was being BS'D for a sale, I don't think that shop would be my goto place anymore. Probably might have been tossed out anyway since I'm not one to sit around knowing someone is being BS'D without speaking up.

That was BS story just for a sale.... WoW Yeah, I would be like aufin and would have got kicked out for checking the guy. Having said that, building a coil that low and not checking it is Definitely unsafe. That is asking for trouble and a lawsuit if that mod blows up on the guy. Not to mention how irresponsible and unprofessional it was.

Pretty typical for B&Ms with no training or education. All you need to open a B&M is the money it unfortunately requires none of the knowledge.

Someday when we get regulated to death because of unsafe sub-ohm builds there will be a lot of people to thank. It has transformed a smoking cessation technique into a hazardous hobby that doesn't amount to much more than a %$^* measuring contest.

Personally I would like to see anything under a 1.5ohm build banned from commercial sale. I sound like a broken record but I see sub-ohming and cloud chasing as the single biggest threat to our freedom to vape possibly bigger than all other things combined. It completely takes the focus away from vaping to stop using tobacco and places the focus on the very vocal minority of vapers that practice this activity that is very dangerous without practice, knowledge and training.

Ridiculous prices and this type of activity is why I never have and hopefully never will have to walk into a B&M to buy the gear I use.

So, B, tell us how you really feel, lol :)

Seriously, I'm with the rest of you... I would have called that guy out for his "pushing the sale", but I've also been known to be banned from a few car dealerships because I'm not going to stand there and let them over-sell a POS to someone that doesn't need it (like me or a family member).

Using the customer's "simple problem" as an excuse to up-sell him on something he has no business owning, just for the sake of a sale... Nope, not a place I'd do business with, even if they were giving stuff away for free....

I meter every coil I build, before and after I wick them... and I even meter my factory coils for my Kanger and Aspire tanks to ensure they are what they say they are, and to weed out a potential disaster caused by a dead-short or horribly mis-labeled sub-ohm coil. It's just good common sense practice to KNOW what you are using!

So, B, tell us how you really feel, lol :)

Seriously, I'm with the rest of you... I would have called that guy out for his "pushing the sale", but I've also been known to be banned from a few car dealerships because I'm not going to stand there and let them over-sell a POS to someone that doesn't need it (like me or a family member).

Using the customer's "simple problem" as an excuse to up-sell him on something he has no business owning, just for the sake of a sale... Nope, not a place I'd do business with, even if they were giving stuff away for free....

I meter every coil I build, before and after I wick them... and I even meter my factory coils for my Kanger and Aspire tanks to ensure they are what they say they are, and to weed out a potential disaster caused by a dead-short or horribly mis-labeled sub-ohm coil. It's just good common sense practice to KNOW what you are using!

LOL I agree. Its a hot button issue with me. I finally unsubscribed from all the local Facebook Vape Groups and even the national groups have made the turn from "smoking cessation" vaping to modifying equipment to do borderline more than it was built to do. I do not mean to be so harsh, I rarely respond anymore to the dozens of posts I see each month from noobs wanting to jump right into rebuildables and subohming after vaping a month. I just do not get it. What about a huge cloud makes quitting smoking easier? That's just the thing for me, its not about quitting smoking at all at that point. Its about who can push their equipment to the limit the best without blowing it up. To each their own I guess it just makes me a little irate at times.

I think people do not understand that vaping as we know it could end with one vote in the legislature and the millions of people who truly vape to stay off analogs and use pre-made factory equipment could have their rights restricted by a very loud minority of people who could care less about quitting smoking but more about who can blow the biggest cloud? I just have to LOL at that. Hard to sugar coat it.

and to think the guys (customers) only problem was a coil head that either needed its wick pushed in or a new coil head, but no lets sell this guys about 200 bux worth of stuff he doesn't need and prolly isn't satisfied with.

I did tell the guy to try a new coil from another shop. A $3 part is definitely worth trying over tossing a tank in the garbage for no reason. I asked him why he didn't test his build, especially since it was going on a mech mod, but he knew it was around a .5 build. At that point, I'd realized that the sales are worth more to them than a safe, happy customer. The shame is, it's about 3 blocks from my house. But there's a few other places that are very reputable within a few minutes drive.

You know, frankly, what the customer in question PROBABLY had was just a bad coil, causing leaking and flooding because it wasn't burning off all the liquid. And even if they told him the tank was bad (freaking idiots), they should have just offered to sell him another KPT 2, rather than the upsell. And definitely never use a coil that hasn't been volt tested. Yeah, I would have stepped in unless he was already looking at a mod and an RDA. Brian, I have to disagree with selling under 1.5 commercially. REPUTABLE stores in my area build coils, test them out in front of you, and all that and do just perfectly fine. And the two stores I go to the most, if the clerk isn't RDA/RBA savvy when you come in with a question, will check with another staff member. THOSE are the shops we go to. The shop that was opened by a non-vaper (she started vaping 0 nic after deciding to open the shop, evidently her husband is "the vaper"), I don't frequent at all. Her staff is knowledgeable, she isn't.

lol sounds like the local b&m place here, they sell rda's and all that jazz, but they dont have an ohm meter anywhere in the store. im like uhh.....

on the other hand they asked me to come in and teach them how to build coils as no one in the staff knows how to do it.

lol sounds like the local b&m place here, they sell rda's and all that jazz, but they dont have an ohm meter anywhere in the store. im like uhh.....

on the other hand they asked me to come in and teach them how to build coils as no one in the staff knows how to do it.

Pretty typical and one more reason regulation is coming and it needs to to be honest. Its one thing for someone at home to build coils in a dangerous way but its ENTIRELY different when a place of business does the same thing. They should be looking out for vapers rights not doing their best to get them taken away.

• 5 weeks later...

I have personally been too this B&M reading this from the Before messages. I know that The rep there builds on a Sigelei Box Mod Also a God Mod 180 which reads the OHM. Just to clear up the confusion. About the up selling i can not say that i have seen that. I feel at home every time i am there and have leaned a ton about coil building from the staff.