Too much?

My husband purchased the vapor cigs, he also will wear a patch at times and smoke all at the same time. He refuses to admit to his Dr that he still smokes, he thinks he's fooling him. My concern is that he's getting too much nicotine. He's had a horrible cough off and on for at least a year, the dr gives him meds but it never seems to clear up. Could he be getting too much nicotine ? He's also very lethargic most of the time and thrashes in his sleep all night. Any suggestions ? He just gets irritated by me. Thanks

Nicotine is a stimulant, so it is not responsible for the cough or his lethargy. Some people smoke 4 packs a day of full flavor (and dip/chew at the same time)... so who's to say he is getting "too much"? Nicotine is not the enemy... the other 4000 chemicals in smoking are the enemy :) BTW, the nicotine levels in patches are a drop in the bucket... even the strongest ones only dose you with the equivalent of a few cigarettes (time-released doses, too)... smoking with a patch on your arm might give you a momentary buzz, but hardly the level of an overdose...

As I said... nicotine is a stimulant... that would explain thrashing in his sleep... kinda like drinking a pot of coffee and chasing it with a 2-liter of Mt. Dew right before bed :)

If he were getting to much nicotine he would be nauseated and getting headaches. I smoked when I had a patch on and that is what happen to me. The patch was not enough to keep me off cigarettes. As others have said it could explain the sleepless nights. I had some intense dreams when I had the patch on. It is why they did not last long for me.

When I was on the patch it was still new and only available in 24 mg of nic. According to the instructions I was supposed to keep it on for 24 hours before changing the patch for a new one. I was getting too much nic, which interfered with my REM sleep resulting in sleep deprivation. After nearly a month of not getting enough sleep I was not only lethargic but seriously cranky (read: road rage on steroids). It got worse before a friend asked me to take the patch off for awhile to see if that would make a difference.

It did.

But I also went back to smoking again.

When I was on the patch, I would have crazy ass dreams and not sleep well. I ended up taking the patch off a couple hours before bedtime which seemed to help. The patches also left red spots on my body. I soon quit the patch and went back to smoking :(