Battery ohm limits

A fixed voltage battery is typically around 3.7 volts. The best resistance is either a 1.5 or 1.8 ohm coil. My preference is 1.8 ohms for fruit flavors (they like a slightly cooler vape) and 1.5 ohm for bakery flavors (they prefer a bit more heat). A 2.1 ohm coil is probably more resistance than you really want with only 3.7v to use.

When you get a chance, get yourself something like a Vision Spinner or Spinner II that has variable voltage from 3.3v to 4.8v. With mine, I just use 1.8 ohm coils all the time (for my tanks), and I can adjust the voltage to the juice I'm vaping at the time. When I direct drip with a 2.0 ohm HH.357 atomizer, I set it at 4.3v. With a tank and 2.1 ohm coil, I go with around 4.0v for optimum performance -- for me. YMMV. :)

Edited by Tameiki

When you use a higher ohm coil, you tend to get a cooler vape, and use slightly less battery. If you pick up a 1.8 it will be a bit warmer.

Tameiki is correct, a variable voltage device, like the spinner II, will make it a bit more enjoyable. You can turn it up when you need a little more heat, and down when you don't. They are great devices.

Sorry for being such a noob, but do you mean the heat of the coils? Because I noticed if I'm chain vaping, the 2.1 ohm gets really hot, but my kpt 2 mini doesn't. I have no idea what's up with that. Lol if anyone has any links to basics of this stuff, it'd be appreciated. I've read just about every sticky, and tried Google.. I'm just not quite grasping some stuff.

What are you using when the 2.1 gets hot? It shouldn't, it should be the same as the KPT 2 mini.

When chain vaping you're not giving the coil a chance to cool down so it would stand to reason that the coil would accumulate heat but not to the point of getting really hot, especially not with a 3.7v device using a higher resistance coil like a 2.1 ohm.

A higher resistance coil heats slower, but also cools down slower, so if you're chain-vaping it hard... it will become very warm. I noticed that when I was chain-vaping a higher Ohm coil than my usual 1.5 or 1.8.

Most of my juices are best tasting around 7.5 - 9.0 Watts... Using Ohm's Law, 1.5 Ohm coils @ 3.7V produce 9.0W, and 1.8 Ohm coils @3.7V produce 7.5W... which is why I do not use a Spinner or Twist (VV battery) any longer. Static-voltage suites me just fine :) On my MVP, I use the "power" setting to set my Wattage at 8.5W, and I don't worry if the coil is 1.5, 1.8, or even above 2.0... because the MVP auto-adjusts the Voltage/Amps to produce the proper Wattage output :D

• 2 months later...

dafb2704364b97c7c6c3e77cce62ef02.jpg

This whole piece gets really hot. I haven't had that happen with the kpt2.

I think I would get a mini protank maybe that has replacement (bottom fed) coils that come in a range of resistances, and comes with a pyrex glass tank..

Certain juices can crack those plastic tanks .... this happened to me when I was new to vaping and didn't know any better..but it wasn't long I dumped those plastic tanks and those away batteries that are only good for about 200 charge cycles, (and thrown away) and got a mini protank and a LavaTube with a replaceable, rechargeable, 18650 battery..it also had VV that could be set to my sweet spot for certain juices...it was my first upgrade in my never-ending vaping learning curve..about two years ago now..lol

Edited by smacksy