Cleaning and maintenance

Crystalyn

I have the iClear 16D. I keep seeing people talk about cleaning and dry burning their clearomizers online. Can I do that with mine or not? Also, the shop I bought from didn't give me any info. What other maintenance tips can you think of for me?

Cleaning is simple... disassemble as far as you can, wash in standard dish-soap (tiny bottle brush helps greatly), rinse, rinse, rinse, and rinse again. Some even take the extra steps of boiling some water and then soaking the tank (and parts) in the boiled water (no longer on heat source). A final soak in 90% (or higher) Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) or Vodka is also performed by many to remove contaminants from tap-water, and it acts as a drying-agent to remove water drops faster. Vodka is preferred because if you don't fully dry the parts well enough, vaping a little Vodka is not so bad... vaping IPA... YUK!

Dry burning is used to clear the gunk off of coils on an RDA (rebuildable dripping atomizer), and is not something you'd need to worry about with your tanks. You CAN do it, but it is not necessary... but if you do, you should remove the wicks first, put the coil assembly on your battery and fire the button, bringing the coil to a red-hot "dry-burn" 2-3 times. Then, you must re-wick the coil. Doing it with the wick in place will burn up the wick, or at least damage it, reducing it's ability to soak-up juice at the area of the coil, which reduces performance. Replaceable coils are just too darn cheap to worry with dry-burning :)

Short answer Yes you can dry burn it. Longer answer is you may not find it to be worth the effort for that setup. These OEM coils do not hold up well to dry burning. You are better off buying new coils as they go bad. I like the IClear 16s, I have dry burned them and have ruined a few by doing so.

As far as general maintenance they are easy to take care of with a paper towel, Q-tips and some vodka. Vodka makes a good solvent and is safe for vaping gear. You don't need expensive Vodka, cheap works fine. Clean your contacts at least once a weak with a Q-tip or paper towel and vodka. Dip the Q-tip or end of the paper towel in the vodka and swab out the connection on the battery and the IClear 16. This help you keep good contact between the two.

When you notice the the Juice getting dark after a few refills it is time to give your tank a swabbing out. Take it apart and swab it out the same way you do the connections Use the paper towel to dab the juice out of the wicks by wrapping it around the whole coil assembly and wicks then squeeze it a few times and they will start turning white again. Re-assemble and fill it up. I clean my tanks about once a week as well.

What Earthling said except I would be very careful about putting a plastic tank into boiling water. Instead, I would just use hot water to clean.

With you just starting to vape, rewicking a coil might not be something you feel comfortable doing. Starting with a dual coil (this is what your tank uses), I really wouldn't advise it at this point.

Everyone's vaping experience is very subjective so you do what you feel comfortable with. We can suggest all kinds of things but it's up to you to decide what works best -- for you. :)

If it were me, I'd just rinse the heck out of the tank, use a pipe cleaner or a very small bottle brush on the tank part. Rinse the coil, soak in vodka for a few hours, rinse well, let air dry overnight and reuse.

You've got me curious about the iclear 16D so I just ordered a couple to try out. :)

You CAN do it, but it is not necessary... but if you do, you should remove the wicks first, put the coil assembly on your battery and fire the button, bringing the coil to a red-hot "dry-burn" 2-3 times. Then, you must re-wick the coil. Doing it with the wick in place will burn up the wick, or at least damage it, reducing it's ability to soak-up juice at the area of the coil, :)

Earthling, You can not remove the wicks on an IClear 16. They are silica and will not burn off, but if you do remove them the coil is useless because you can not rewick it.

Earthling, You can not remove the wicks on an IClear 16. They are silica and will not burn off, but if you do remove them the coil is useless because you can not rewick it.

Her tank is a 16D, does that make a difference, Comp?

In looking at the dual coil, it seems like it'd be a major pain to rewick, if you can do it at all without ruining the thing.

It just means she would have two coils to rewick. I have disassembled them trying to do a rebuild on the head and it is just impossibly frustrating and a waste of time. There is no re-wicking these heads or rebuilding them.

Good to know, Comp. Thanks. I'm looking forward to trying these out myself. Haven't used a plastic tank in well over a year. :)

Honestly I wouldn't recommend any other. These dual coil Iclear 16s are the best Ego style clearomizers you can get. They use really thick plastic and I have yet to have one crack from a juice. The Duals have fantastic vapor for what they are. It is all my wife uses for her rig.

Good info on the i16 wicks Comp... but I hoped my message was clearer... that dry burning was not necessary on a factory coil, even though it is possible, because a fresh coil is so inexpensive (and tastes so much better, lol).

Good info on the i16 wicks Comp... but I hoped my message was clearer... that dry burning was not necessary on a factory coil, even though it is possible, because a fresh coil is so inexpensive (and tastes so much better, lol).

I don't recommend dry burning these either that is spot on. These coils are in the on the high side though at around $4 ea. It is not like a KPT that is only $1.00 to 0.75 for the singles. ;)

I'll send yeah one out of my personal stock, it can be that Gummy Bear I mentioned. :D I'll toss in an extra coil too.

Thanks, Comp! Yay for Gummy Bears with extra coils. :)

I was just over at your store looking at the iClear 16. They look like the old CE4s but with dual coils. Haven't used a top coil since the old T2s. Wow, does that take me back a bit. :lol:

I loved the CE4 short wicks. The only problem was my juices that I was vaping at the time. Real tank crackers for the plastic tanks. If I'm not mistaken there are still a couple of them floating around here somewhere. :)

If you have any good Tank cranking juice give it a test. :D I'll even donate an extra plastic tank piece from one of my old ones just for that test. ;)

The Mojito flavor from my local B&M used to crack my T2 tanks all the time. It also cracked several CE4s. :)

I just cleaned and tossed a used one in the package just for that test. :D That way you can test away and not damage the new one. It had Mellow Spice in it but it is nice and clean now. I even labeled it for you so you don't mix them up. ;) I have 10 of them I used for taste testing and don't any more, so no worry on giving it up for the test. :evil:

I just cleaned and tossed a used one in the package just for that test. :D That way you can test away and not damage the new one. It had Mellow Spice in it but it is nice and clean now. I even labeled it for you so you don't mix them up. ;) I have 10 of them I used for taste testing and don't any more, so no worry on giving it up for the test. :evil:

Why, that's very nice of you. Thank you, Comp. I'll do my best to crack it...with juice. :)