Burnt smell from new coil

OhmWrecker

So last night I built A simple 24 Gauge nano coil with 10 wraps, put it in my plume veil and when I dry burnt it I get a burnt smell I've never had this happen after burning it a couple times it usually goes away but there's still that burning smell so i'm stumped. I also put my cotton wick in and it just tastes burnt not sure whats going on.

I just want to make sure here.

Step 1 wrap the coil.

Step 2 put it in the atty

step 3 test ohms

step 4 fire it and make wraps "clean" (touching evenly spaced hotspots etc)
thats usualy when it smells for me from the oils on my hands or whatever residue is on the coils I dont fire it again until its all saturated and ready to go

Step 5 re-test ohms (personally always do JUST to make sure everything is set)

Step 5 wick it

Step 6 saturate the wick

Step 7 put top cap & vape

Where in the process do you get the burnt smell?

Edited by christov11

Yeah i know not to dry burn without the wick saturated. I've just never ran into this problem with any other build. It's throughout the process I constantly get a slight burnt taste and smell. I've re wicked it plenty of times and there are no hot-spots on the coil. I just can't see the issue lol.

Could be that, after your first time smelling something burning, you've now got it in your nose, which is why you're still smelling it even if there's nothing there. Might go take a whiff of some coffee grounds to get the smell out? Or, you could have a case of phantosmia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantosmia

I had that for about three months and swore my power supply in my tower was fried. Switched out four before I realized it was just me. Lol. :lol:

I thought I had the smell suck in my nose lol but then I went away from it for awhile and still smell and taste it. I don't smell or taste it on any other build so it's definitely the coil or atty i'm just not sure what lol

Remove the wick and coils, then test in your Ohm-meter. You may have a short in the Atty itself, which is creating the burnt smell?

If nothing else, strip it apart, clean, clean, clean... rinse, rinse, rinse and let air-dry overnight... then rebuild on it and see what happens.

yeah that is going to be a heck of a job to do... but worth it!

whats it look like when you fire it without the top cap? i would be curiouse to see a video... or if its legit inside the atty then...

I thought it was only when you fired it when only the coils were there. hence the residue going off... MY B!

So i took the atty apart and was looking at it and i'm pretty sure I found it.There was, what looked like, metal machined from the atty inside of the post. It was lose and some how burning because the post the wire was in was blackened. It didn't show any different readings on my fluke so it wasn't shorting just burning. i just cleaned up all the post, put the same coil back in, wicked it, and now she's tasting normally. I guess I really didn't look over the atty to much before building on it but now I know the issues it creates if it ever happens again in the future lol.

yeah that is going to be a heck of a job to do... but worth it!

whats it look like when you fire it without the top cap? i would be curiouse to see a video... or if its legit inside the atty then...

I thought it was only when you fired it when only the coils were there. hence the residue going off... MY B!

Gives me something to do that I definitely love working with lol, and it fired normally all that was different was the faint smell of burning, Which was that metal piece as I mentioned above.

Also thank you guys for your feedback this is the first vape forum I've joined just because all the other ones just don't seem helpful. Lots of bad responses to questions, but here is great everyone is helpful the way the vaping community should be.