What's for supper

Long day here. Thursday is grocery day. We go through roughly $2500/week in groceries. Lunch was light....pizza, chicken tenders and a stir fry. Supper I made a Cajun style pork roast and a gravy cooked down from 7 steaks. Corn on the cob and cheddar mac.

Well, I didn't snap a picture of this one, but tonight I made a bed of white rice with Cajun seasoning, covered that with blackened whole kernel corn, and laid the main-course of baked chicken thighs/legs (which were marinated and cooked in Italian Dressing) on top. The seasoned rice and blackened corn are fantastic with baked chicken... I think my kids could eat it every day!

I was out of town all day so we had stopped at a Restaurant, Big Boys, and had Burgers and Fries. :)

Bob's Big Boy's? They still have those places? With the guy that has the hair curl thing and the red and white checkered apron?

Bob's Big Boy's? They still have those places? With the guy that has the hair curl thing and the red and white checkered apron?

Yep, there's still a few around. I'd say I know of at least 5-6 in KY. Kinda like the old Jerry's restaurants... I think there are a dozen or so left operational from OH to FL. Man, they had the absolute BEST coffee!

For those of you not familiar with South Louisiana, the people around here call themselves Coon-Asses. I've heard several explanations but they all seem kinda far fetched. Anyway, more so than most of the south, this part of Louisiana is predominently Cahtolic. And being Catholic, Lent is observed (Mardi Gras is essentially a celebration where participants pig-out and act as if they were heathens in preparation for giving up certian foods and many bad habits for the Lenten season). And those of you familiar with "giving up" things for Lent know all about eating fish on Friday. I was raised Roman Catholic and we ate pancakes on Lenten Fridays. I don't know if that was a RC thing or just our family.

So even though Lent is over, the gulf of Mexico's offshore workers are almost certainly eating fish today.I know we are today and every Friday of the year. So you can set your clock (calendar) by what is on our steam-line. This Friday and EVERY Friday we have:

LUNCH

Cajun Boiled shrimp

Crawfish Etoufee

Seafood Gumbo (with potato salad)

Baked Red Snapper

Supper

Fried Shrimp

Fried Oysters

Fried Catfish

Fried Snapper

Seafood Gumbo

-Laissez les bons temps rouler

Tonight, being Father's Day, dear-old-dad got to cook his own meal... something of a favorite of mine :)

Fresh Perch filets, baked on the grill in foil, along with green/yellow/red peppers and sliced white onion, and a big pad of butter!

All of that was poured onto a fresh bed of white-rice, seasoned with salt, pepper, cumin, and dash (or six) of hot-sauce.

Serve hot in a big bowl, along with a chilled glass of my favorite Aussie Chardonnay!

2014-06-15204243_zps858a0963.jpg