DIY Starting Supplies

One question that seems to pop up a lot is What Supplies do I need to get started doing my own juice? I have been doing DIY Juice for many years and have had many trial and error experiences. I hope this quick guide will help anyone looking to start DIY Juice get the supplies they need to be successful.

To get started you will want:

My go to for DIY Flavors and the rest of what is listed here is http://www.wizardlabs.us

Test your flavor mixes in small batches 5 to 10ml samples

Basic Must Haves:

1ml, 5ml,10ml blunt syringes at least 2 of each (Put scotch tape over the measuring markings or tey will ware off quickly)

syringes-125x125.jpgblunt_needle_14ga-125x125.jpg

30 ml Glass Dropper Bottles any color (I use Cobalt blue) (For holding small amounts of Bases PG, VG, Nic strengths)

blue_30ml_bottle_400px-125x125.jpg

Droppers for Flavor bottles (Out of Stock)(Wizard Labs sells them to fit the flavor bottles they sell) (I have some small dram bottles I use that came with dropper tops)

This is where I ordered my bottles from: http://www.specialty...assvialsmi.aspx

flavor_vial_glass_dropper-125x125.jpg

10ml, 25ml glass graduated cylinders (I prefer glass so it don't absorb flavors)

bomex_cylinders-125x125.jpg

Glass Funnel

glass_funnel_50mm-125x125.jpg

At least 1 50ml Beaker

beakers-125x125.jpg

1-2 Volumetric Flasks 50ml and 100ml

volumetric_flasks-125x125.jpg

PG/VG Make sure it is food grade or medical grade not industrial grade. What they sell on Wizard labs will do to start with. http://www.bulkapothecary.com/

The more VG you have in your mix the weaker the flavor but more vapor. VG, If you have say 10/90 mix it will take a lot more flavoring to get it up to taste. I would not recommend doing high vg to start it can get costly for flavor. Trade off for less VG is less vapor production. Straight PG gives vapor but dissipates quick. don't less than a 90/10 mix.

You will want a Juice calculator as well. There are two that seem to be popular eJuice me up and LiqMix

Hope this helps get you started on your Journey to doing DIY E-liquid.

Curious about something ........ does there seem to be a point where the flavor starts going "backwards". I try to stay around a 50/50 pg/vg and 20% flavor mix, but once I goofed and wound up with around 30% flavor. Just didn't taste good at all.

Yes they can... I try and stay between 20-25%. Some flavors that are really strong like banana and tobaccos can be less, but 20-25% is the best starting point. You can also add to many different flavors to a juice and have it come out "muddy" as I call it.

Excellent starter list Comp... Thanks!!

I've been mixing my own "flavors" for a couple of months to get blends that I like, but I've been looking into mixing from scratch. My biggest flavor concerns are the different flavor concentrates... Do you have a few suggestions on brand or concentrate mixes?

I've dabbled with adding raw flavors to 5ml batches of tobacco (or other flavor base), using different Vanilla, Chocolate, Grape, and Black Cherry flavorings, and they seem to range from "OMG strong" to "where's the flavor?". Some came out great, some not so much :)

Excellent starter list Comp... Thanks!!

I've been mixing my own "flavors" for a couple of months to get blends that I like, but I've been looking into mixing from scratch. My biggest flavor concerns are the different flavor concentrates... Do you have a few suggestions on brand or concentrate mixes?

I've dabbled with adding raw flavors to 5ml batches of tobacco (or other flavor base), using different Vanilla, Chocolate, Grape, and Black Cherry flavorings, and they seem to range from "OMG strong" to "where's the flavor?". Some came out great, some not so much :)

Although adding flavors like that get you started. You will always get your best flavor from doing it from scratch. This way you can add flavors by the drop. you will have failures, but that is part of the learning curve for DIY. Use a mixing calculator so you can save your recipes. You will not ever get the same mix twice if you don't keep record and that is the best way.

Go to www.wizardlabs.us and look at the flavor selection and stick with FA (Flavor Apprentice) Stay away from Loranns, Loranns adds food coloring and unless you are looking for Candy like flavors, they will not do. Because, I am someone that sells liquid, I keep my recipes close to me. ;) It truly is an art and the more time you put into it, the better your out comes will be. Start out simple 1 flavor at a time don't get fancy to start. As you progress into multiple flavors combos you will be singing the DIY song. ;)

Although adding flavors like that get you started. You will always get your best flavor from doing it from scratch. This way you can add flavors by the drop. you will have failures, but that is part of the learning curve for DIY. Use a mixing calculator so you can save your recipes. You will not ever get the same mix twice if you don't keep record and that is the best way.

Go to www.wizardlabs.us and look at the flavor selection and stick with FA (Flavor Apprentice) Stay away from Loranns, Loranns adds food coloring and unless you are looking for Candy like flavors, they will not do. Because, I am someone that sells liquid, I keep my recipes close to me. ;) It truly is an art and the more time you put into it, the better your out comes will be. Start out simple 1 flavor at a time don't get fancy to start. As you progress into multiple flavors combos you will be singing the DIY song. ;)

Thanks Comp... I'll check out the Flavor Apprentice for a good starting point on my way to DIY! I knew to stay away from Loranne's, at least the colored ones because of food colorings... Perhaps someday I'll make a flavor even you'll be proud of.... LMAO!