Open Source E-Cig (Wiki Website)

Theaxiom

Howdy Folks,

I've been vaping for about 5 years now and I thought now is a good time to disrupt the marketplace by creating a community-directed open source electronic cigarette. I am a software engineer by trade so of course I had to throw up a site once I had the idea.

The website is: http://www.opensourcecig.com/

I invite you to come check out the website, it is in a wiki format so it allows the most flexibility to allows us as a community to develop a strong community around a single, unified e-cig design that is extremely flexible in both design and application. This e-cig would be modular and allow for complete customization including coming in multiple sizes.

Please come join me in bringing this dream to a reality and bring the power and the money back to the people, the community. Now that 3D printers are becoming mainstream, this leaves the door wide open for us to take complete control over our vaping with low cost in-home production, and for those who don't have a printer, they would be able to browse the directory of vendors offering the product pre-manufactured at competitive rates.

Sincerely,

Travis Rowland

Very interesting idea. Don't know about the 3D printing being mainstream yet they are still a little pricy for one that is good quality. (Been looking at them for a long time) I think the concept is quite unique though. :yes

Very interesting idea. Don't know about the 3D printing being mainstream yet they are still a little pricy for one that is good quality. (Been looking at them for a long time) I think the concept is quite unique though. :yes

A "good" 3D printer costs in the neighborhood of around $3000 without lots of bells and whistles. Not quite mainstream prices yet. :)

Then, after you buy the 3D printer you have to buy the different colored plastic, all the other accessories, etc. Using that same money to buy premade vaping gear and juice and...you'd have years worth of goods. :)

I still think it is important for the community to come together on a cohesive "vaping system" that has a low cost-to-market-entry ratio and is extensible and able to adopt to any vape style. :)

EDIT: i can't remember any of the sites right off the top of my head, but there are sites where you can import your CAD plans, or design right in the web-browser, select your materials and they will machine one-offs and ship them to you for prototyping, etc. I think that may be a cost-effective way at first until I can line up some production contracts once the initial version of the e-cig design is finalized.

Edited by Theaxiom