Nautilus on the vtr

I nicked the bottom ring with my grinder but other than that I'm happy with it. I'm about to the point where the looks of things don't worry me anymore I want performance.

I'm right there with ya! When drilling extra holes or just enlarging the existing in my rdas, theres scratch marks from where the bit "walked" away from the intended area I wanted to drill. Lol

First off... Kudos for ingenuity and perseverance...

Now, when you said "grinder", it made me start thinking... You only have to expand the diameter by a millimeter or so, right?

How about using a brake-cylinder hone? Granted, it would be a slower method of removing that much material, but it would obtain perfect symmetry when enlarging the ring. Pop a course-hone on your drill or drill-press, use a little cutting-lube or light-oil, and let the drill do the work.... switch to a fine-hone or buffing wheel and put a shine back to the ring when you've reached the proper diameter....

Two or three spinning hones, evenly cutting under spring-pressure, at the same time... would sure make the job easy and you wouldn't have to worry about symmetry, cutting too deep/uneven, or scratches if your grinder slips... Just a thought for anyone else wanting to expand the ring for a Nautilus (or larger tank)....

First off... Kudos for ingenuity and perseverance...

Now, when  you said "grinder", it made me start thinking...  You only have to expand the diameter by a millimeter or so, right?

How about using a brake-cylinder hone?  Granted, it would be a slower method of removing that much material, but it would obtain perfect symmetry when enlarging the ring.   Pop a course-hone on your drill or drill-press, use a little cutting-lube or light-oil, and let the drill do the work.... switch to a fine-hone or buffing wheel and put a shine back to the ring when you've reached the proper diameter....

Two or three spinning hones, evenly cutting under spring-pressure, at the same time... would sure make the job easy and you wouldn't have to worry about symmetry, cutting too deep/uneven, or scratches if your grinder slips... Just a thought for anyone else wanting to expand the ring for a Nautilus (or larger tank)....

dude that takes way to long I was just trying to vape that ****. I used a di grinder with a rock.