Vaping has become a trend?

AdrianS

Vaping is no doubt increasingly becoming a trend not only among the younger generation but also among older people. With the option of choosing different flavors for your e-liquid to go with each puff of your electronic cigarette switching from tobacco smoking to e-cigaretres couldnt have been made easier.

Edited by BirdDog
removed link

What a freaking IDIOT! I'm sorry, I know she's your friend, but you obviously feel the same way. I don't think a little six year old body can HANDLE nicotine, whether it be a ml or a hit.

I know some people let their kids have a sip of wine or something, but NOT at six years old, setting up a thought pattern of "oh, that's yummy, I want more, let me get mommy's thing." I'm just......sorry.

I love my friend to death, I'd take a bullet for her. But yeah, some ****, I think she forgets to boot her brain on.

I'm gonna have to agree with Spydre on this one. Even though the one she tried was 0 nic, it sets a bad precedent and image of what we're all about. Being responsible adults and vapers. I have 16 y/o twin daughters and have NEVER let them try alcohol or any other substance.

They had to see my addiction to cigarettes first hand and are happy that I've stopped. I have explained to them the health benefits of my choice to vape, but have not gone into detail with them about how delicious the various flavors are. I don't wanna entice them into it. Just my 2 cents. FWIW

Last time I explained my vape to a kid, I told them some things are only ok at a certain age, just like your baby brother can't chew an oreo. "Oreos are great, but not for him, they'd hurt him. Just the same as my vape is good, but not for you."

I fear the day when my friend's kid opens her adorable mouth at school about watermelon "cigarette", as she calls it. My friend is an otherwise fantastic parent to those rug rats. Threw me for a loop to hear her say "Mommy, I haven't had any cigarette today. Can I have some?". Took me a minute to realize, no, my ear problem isnt flairing up. I heard that accurately.

I wish I knew how to address this. She is fiercely defensive of her kids and people butting in on how to raise them. Every other time she has told me about so-n-so giving her crap for exposing her kids to a certain religion, or what she feeds them, etc, I've agreed with her and been supportive. But I just cant agree on this.

I sure will miss flavors when watermelon and the rest get banned. I swear to god, I will take a pull from my crappy, "tobacco" flavored, $15 dollar disposable, far cry from my ego, last thing left not banned e-cig and say to her "Mommy, I haven't had any watermelon cigarette today, Can I have some? Oh... wait..."

Makes me wonder if she'd give her kids non-alcoholic beer, lol. Well, maybe not lol, just loling to cover up my actual reaction.

-Miakoda

Edited by HelloMiakoda

But what happens if she leaves the room, there's juice in there with nicotine in it, and the kid goes for it because she remembers it was yummy?

There is also the matter of the other ingredients. I have fully grown adult lungs, and made the informed decision, but no, I don't fully know the long term effects of dowsing my lungs in a near constant bath of PG, VG, and flavoring. I'm pretty confident it's safe, but have accepted the fact I'm only 90% sure. (Mind you, I'm only about 40% sure about the food I eat, but choosing not to eat is deadly) A kids lungs, and 0 knowledge of what they're doing, not good.

Not to mention my friend vapes VERY high nic levels. She gave me some of her juice and it knocked me on my ***, in plain English!

Also...

Is that 0 nic juice in a clearomizer she vaped from herself? If yes, I have strong doubts that all her high nic stuff was completely cleared and the kid is truly getting NO nicotine. Especially since my friend did not know you can actually take apart and clean a clearomizer.

Edited by HelloMiakoda

Oh, dear, she actually called it a "cigarette" to her daughter?

There is also the matter of the other ingredients. I have fully grown adult lungs, and made the informed decision, but no, I don't fully know the long term effects of dowsing my lungs in a near constant bath of PG, VG, and flavoring. I'm pretty confident it's safe, but have accepted the fact I'm only 90% sure. (Mind you, I'm only about 40% sure about the food I eat, but choosing not to eat is deadly) A kids lungs, and 0 knowledge of what they're doing, not good.

Not to mention my friend vapes VERY high nic levels. She gave me some of her juice and it knocked me on my ***, in plain English!

Also...
Is that 0 nic juice in a clearomizer she vaped from herself? If yes, I have strong doubts that all her high nic stuff was completely cleared and the kid is truly getting NO nicotine. Especially since my friend did not know you can actually take apart and clean a clearomizer.

Oh, dear. That's bad.

Also...

Sorry for double quoting you on this, but I started my response before I left for two hours, and then came back to it and forgot what I was meaning to say.

The thing is, and while I am FIRMLY in e-cigs are harm reduction camp, "we" have only had e-cigs for 5 1/2 years - and two years of that were in a legal battle to keep them from being classified as drug delivery devices by the FDA and made illegal until testing could be done. They are young enough, we still don't know the long term affects of inhaling vapor, even if IS made out of glycerine, nicotine, and flavoring. Not to mention not knowing the effects of a six year old inhaling ANY of this, even WITHOUT the nicotine. But we are adults, we can make that INFORMED decision about that, and that poor little girl can't. Granted, I doubt you could teach a six year old how to take a lung hit, and if she did, IMO (I'm sorry), she should be shot.

You know, I take full responsibility for the stuff I'm inhaling. As for what I exhale, it's water vapor, and it dissipates, unlike smoke. Someone's not going to be harmed by being in the same room with me while I'm vaping, unlike smoking, so I'm not responsible for MY lungs by my choice - so 20 years down the road, if it turns out inhaling this stuff over 20 years has some sort of consequence, I'm affecting only me, and I made the choice KNOWING that we don't know what happens in the long run.

I'm rambling, I guess, and a bit off point, but do you know what I mean?

EDIT: And in the effort of full disclosure, I wasn't the BEST parent when it comes to smoking around my kids. We have a history of going back and forth between smoking inside and outside - mostly inside after they were say, five or six.

Edited by spydre

They are young enough, we still don't know the long term affects of inhaling vapor, even if IS made out of glycerine, nicotine, and flavoring. Not to mention not knowing the effects of a six year old inhaling ANY of this, even WITHOUT the nicotine. But we are adults, we can make that INFORMED decision about that, and that poor little girl can't. Granted, I doubt you could teach a six year old how to take a lung hit, and if she did, IMO (I'm sorry), she should be shot.

- so 20 years down the road, if it turns out inhaling this stuff over 20 years has some sort of consequence, I'm affecting only me, and I made the choice KNOWING that we don't know what happens in the long run.

I'm rambling, I guess, and a bit off point, but do you know what I mean?

I agree. What upsets me the most... in every other way, she's an amazing parent to them. If everyone raised kids like hers, I wouldn't be considering getting a gun permit or chirping my car alarm in the middle of the night (when I was in Waterbury) to make sure its still there.

Like I said, I don't want to see what may happen when the wrong person over hears. :(

Part of me hopes the kid asks me for a hit of mine... as that's an open window to say "No, these aren't good for children. Ask me when you're grown up.".

I really have mixed feelings about minors vaping... Our whole argument to keep vaping from being banned and to fight the argument of vaping in certain locations is that it is safe. So on one hand we say it's safe then on the other hand we say minors shouldn't Vape cause its bad..... I know that is a very broad and generalized comparison. I don't think minors should Vape nic, but if they want to Vape 0mg I honestly don't see an issue. It would lessen the chance of them stealing their parents set up that contains nic, or having to rely on someone to buy them juice which may have nic. It should be up to the parent, and the parent should have to be present when making purchases to help ensure 0mg of nic. Now I realize this would be impossible to impose nor would it go the way it should... You will ALWAYS have minors doing the wrong thing, it is inevitable.