Resistance/power or voltage combination

spydre

It will shorten the life or even pop it if you dry burn at too high a voltage. I always did dry burns with a standard non-twist eGo. They dip to 3.2 volts when you fire a coil. I would dry burn a couple seconds at a time until the coil windings glowed a clean red.

How does the output dip to 3.2 volts when you fire a coil? Every standard battery I've had has had a straight output of 4.2 volts on down, depending on the current charge on the battery.

My standard batts fire 3.7

This is a good voltage to use in my opinion. You only fire in 2 - -3 second bursts.

You have to be able to see the actual coil itself. At first it will heat up and give off a nasty cloud. This is good. This is the gunk burning off.

Repeat a couple few times. The "smoke" will go away as well as the popping crackling sound and you will start to see the coil glow red. It will also get quiet.

Repeat as necessary until you get even glow across coil. If you use too high voltage you could pop the coil which means it separates and no longer fires.

It helps to loosen up the wick and free it up if you can before you dry burn.

You might taste a slight funny burnt taste when you reload your juice at first. This goes away quickly. If it doesn't, the coil is too far gone

This can be done on any basic coil, top or bottom. I usually get 2 or three dry burns on a coil easily. It does wear them down eventually but it definitely prolongs the life of a coil. This does not work well if you wait too Long to try a dry burn. Depending on the juice it's about every 3 or 4 tanks but the juice is a big factor. Dark juices gunk up faster. Also very sweet juices.

Edit: forgot to mention if you have a flavor wick, remove it first before dry burn. They are easy to put back. Also remove any silicon sleeves.

Edited by Bebop12

How does the output dip to 3.2 volts when you fire a coil? Every standard battery I've had has had a straight output of 4.2 volts on down, depending on the current charge on the battery.

It's called voltage drop. It happens when a power source has a load, in this case a coil, applied. Its measurable.

A standard eGo batt drops from 3.7 to 3.2 volts when under load.

Edited by irwink

Troy, I think you are right about the hassle of taking it apart. Just easier to recycle it once after a vodka soak overnight, if needed, and letting it air dry, then pitching it.

It's called voltage drop. It happens when a power source has a load, in this case a coil, applied. Its measurable.

A standard eGo batt drops from 3.7 to 3.2 volts when under load.

My experience begs to differ, but I don't know the science behind it. But I DO know with some of my lower voltage coils, fresh batteries have appeared to have a firing voltage of 4.2, based on the reaction of my juice to eGo's current, but we can agree to disagree here.

My experience begs to differ, but I don't know the science behind it.  But I DO know with some of my lower voltage coils, fresh batteries have appeared to have a firing voltage of 4.2, based on the reaction of my juice to eGo's current, but we can agree to disagree here.

What do you mean appear? If you haven't measured it, you wouldn't know the difference. That's fact. I can say anything APPEARS to be one way but unless I can confirm through scientific fact, it's an assumption. I will tell you that what was said about the voltage drop is scientific fact. It will always have a drop in voltage when the is a load applied. That is why people pay big money for the genuine mods because the build quality and materials reduce voltage drop. They have mods that have a measured .015 voltage drop when under load. Just saying. You can agree to disagree but your wrong.

This morning I dry burned as described earlier 3 protanks and 2 T2s. took me all of 15 minutes or so....

and just to raise the difficulty level from 1 to 1 1/2 I replaced the wick on one that was a little too far gone.

Simple to do, I free up the wick from the coil, pull it out completely. Do the dry burn. Then I take an old flavor wick, and thread it in to the coil, pull it through. place a new flavor wick on top and put back together.

In 15 minutes, I have 5 fresh coils, all performing like champs and they will last me another week or two before I repeat the process.

honestly, I don't have to do this. We are only talking saving a few dollars and to many it's not worth it. But it's pretty easy to do, doesn't require any tools and stretches your coil life 3X easy. Plus you get the added advantage of understanding how your coils work and thus being able to troubleshoot any problems you may be having.

if you like to tinker, enjoy! :yes