Any Athletes out there?

Hi All,

I was wondering if there were any athletes on here and how vaping has effected their "wind"? I have played hockey all my life. I have played as an adult when I was not a smoker, and when I was smoker. And I have noticed a lot more lung capacity when I was quit from smoking.

When I first switched to vaping I did see a bit of an improvement, but not like when I was fully quit (No cigarettes, and no vaping). Has anyone else noticed this when really pushing your heart and lungs with vigorous exercise? I still get that deep lung burn, but not nearly as bad as when I was still on the analogs. I thought it would have been gone by now. I do feel it getting better, but that burn is still there. Anyone else out there experience this? Will it go away with time?

On a side note, when I was still on the analogs and dipping, I would notice that my feet would get very cold (numb) very quickly on the ice. I always assumed that it was because of the nicotine constricting my capillaries and slowing down blood flow to my feet and hands and being in a cold hockey rink. But now with vaping, it is not nearly as bad. I still get some numbness on the feet, but not like before. I wonder if it was all the junk in analogs and the dip that made it worse? Anyways, thanks for reading. Happy Friday everyone!!

SV

Former Athlete turned "old fat guy"now lol. I can tell you though, as a scout leader that is an avid outdoorsman-hiker-camper-boater etc.. the last almost 8 months have made a drastic difference in my cardiovascular stamina. I have done the same hikes now 3 years in a row and BY FAR this year was the most enjoyable. There is no doubt my lungs, heart, and overall health is exponentially better since switching from analogs to vaping.

Former Athlete turned "old fat guy"now lol. I can tell you though, as a scout leader that is an avid outdoorsman-hiker-camper-boater etc.. the last almost 8 months have made a drastic difference in my cardiovascular stamina. I have done the same hikes now 3 years in a row and BY FAR this year was the most enjoyable. There is no doubt my lungs, heart, and overall health is exponentially better since switching from analogs to vaping.

That is awesome to hear!!

I spent some time as the "old(ish) fat(ish) guy" too lol. But a little over a year ago I decided to get into better shape and dropped about 40 lbs. I figured it would be easier to get in shape in my mid 30's verses 40's. lol Funny thing about it is: I had been quit from smoking and dipping for 10 months when I started working out and doing a lot of cardio, but started smoking and dipping again to help drop weight (appetite suppressant). I wish I picked up vaping back then. But my wife was good and kept on me about quitting again, and that's when I bought a Blu to give it a try. The rest, as they say, was history.

Although I do find it kind of funny that some major pro athletes do smoke still. I have heard many rumors that some top end hockey pro's do. LOL.

That is awesome to hear!!

I spent some time as the "old(ish) fat(ish) guy" too lol. But a little over a year ago I decided to get into better shape and dropped about 40 lbs. I figured it would be easier to get in shape in my mid 30's verses 40's. lol Funny thing about it is: I had been quit from smoking and dipping for 10 months when I started working out and doing a lot of cardio, but started smoking and dipping again to help drop weight (appetite suppressant). I wish I picked up vaping back then. But my wife was good and kept on me about quitting again, and that's when I bought a Blu to give it a try. The rest, as they say, was history.

Although I do find it kind of funny that some major pro athletes do smoke still. I have heard many rumors that some top end hockey pro's do. LOL.

I will never forget first baseman John Kruk firing up a smoke on his way into the dugout at the end of a game, I think either the NLDS, NLCS, or World Series and a reporter asked him "How can you as an athlete smoke and portray that image" to which he replied "Athlete? Hell I am no athlete, I am a baseball player"! LOL

LOL. Awesome!! I love Kruk.

Me too. I was an all state 3rd baseman with scholarship offers from just about every SEC school until I tore my ACL, MCL, and partially tore my patella tendon trying to make a spinning throw from 3rd to 1st in a sub state game. That pretty much ended any hope I had to play sports at any higher level.

I am still involved with the UT Football program in many ways and still love all sports and cannot help but wonder what "What could have been".

I was never good enough to play professional hockey. Maybe if I pushed it I could have played college, but I was just burnt out after my amateur days were coming to an end. I actually only got on the ice about 5 times from 18-23 years old. I picked it up after that and started playing in some beer leagues. But in the last 3-4 years, I have started playing at a much higher level. It is a lot more fun now that I am older.

But like I said. I thought my lungs would feel a bit better, sooner. Either way, I am happy to have quit the analogs and switched to vaping. Because I enjoy the hell out of it.

Hi All,

I was wondering if there were any athletes on here and how vaping has effected their "wind"? I have played hockey all my life. I have played as an adult when I was not a smoker, and when I was smoker. And I have noticed a lot more lung capacity when I was quit from smoking.

When I first switched to vaping I did see a bit of an improvement, but not like when I was fully quit (No cigarettes, and no vaping). Has anyone else noticed this when really pushing your heart and lungs with vigorous exercise? I still get that deep lung burn, but not nearly as bad as when I was still on the analogs. I thought it would have been gone by now. I do feel it getting better, but that burn is still there. Anyone else out there experience this? Will it go away with time?

On a side note, when I was still on the analogs and dipping, I would notice that my feet would get very cold (numb) very quickly on the ice. I always assumed that it was because of the nicotine constricting my capillaries and slowing down blood flow to my feet and hands and being in a cold hockey rink. But now with vaping, it is not nearly as bad. I still get some numbness on the feet, but not like before. I wonder if it was all the junk in analogs and the dip that made it worse? Anyways, thanks for reading. Happy Friday everyone!!

SV

I"m a washed up typical 40's jock/athlete.. I ran cross country and track all through high school. I did a lot a distance running; so I believe I have a good grasp of the true meaning after going from running 60-70 miles a week when in HS to a pack a day smoker for 25 years. My lung capicty has changed a signifigant amount in the 5-6 months i"ve been vaping. So I do believe vaping has been a very good alternative for me.... Please keep in mind that I have tried quiting cold turkey lasted 3 years; been on chantix 3 times..yaddda, yadda..yaddaa..

Let me state the obvious by saying I think that vaping is by far the best alternative.

While I'm not a professional athlete, my job does require me to maintain a very high level of fitness. Smoking did hamper my fitness level and I found that I was always out of breath or if coming back into a physical regime after a couple months break I would notice that it took me nearly twice as long to get back into cardio shape.

For the first couple of months although my body was felt physically good my lung capacity just wasn't there. It took me about 4-5 months to really feel good again. I can honestly now say that I can maintain my heart rate at 160-180 beats per minute for about an hour and a half with a short recovery period.

So for me vaping has helped out tremendously. Yes I will still get a burn in my lungs, but I think thats just because I push myself hard.

I started playing sports when I was about 8 years old. Wanted to play soccer but my father thought I would get hurt. So I signed up for gymnastics. Broke both my wrists at the same time. After that I was allowed to play any sport. lol

Started playing competitive fast pitch in junior high. Started out as a pitcher, but when the coaches realized I was going to be short, they put me behind the plate. There I sat for next few years. Played varsity for 3 years plus the summer competitive league. Didn't really leave much time for any other sport. When we weren't playing I was in the gym with the pitchers for training during the winter. Tore my rotator cuff my senior year. Never healed properly. So my career as a catcher was over. Moved to first base. Played a bit in college.

Didn't really pick it back up until mid 20's. Ended up in the slow pitch leagues. Played about 5 nights a week. That was my social life. Beer, smoking and hanging around the ball field. What I did notice is that my running speed was gone from smoking. Always kept an inhaler in my bag. Have to say it sucked. Thank god I was a good hitter and could hit the ball far enough that I didn't have to sprint it out. I also played a bit of roller hockey, good god, the back and forth just about killed me.

I haven't played in a couple years, it became too expensive and I was unemployed for quite awhile. But now that I am vaping I find my lung capacity to be much better and my speed returning. I can run sprints much better and roller blading has become more enjoyable. My dog, may she rest in peace, would beg to differ about the enjoyment of roller blades.

While I'm not a professional athlete, my job does require me to maintain a very high level of fitness. Smoking did hamper my fitness level and I found that I was always out of breath or if coming back into a physical regime after a couple months break I would notice that it took me nearly twice as long to get back into cardio shape.

For the first couple of months although my body was felt physically good my lung capacity just wasn't there. It took me about 4-5 months to really feel good again. I can honestly now say that I can maintain my heart rate at 160-180 beats per minute for about an hour and a half with a short recovery period.

So for me vaping has helped out tremendously. Yes I will still get a burn in my lungs, but I think thats just because I push myself hard.

This is very good to hear!! Yeah, you can still get a good lung burn just by pushing your cardio limits.

I started playing sports when I was about 8 years old. Wanted to play soccer but my father thought I would get hurt. So I signed up for gymnastics. Broke both my wrists at the same time. After that I was allowed to play any sport. lol

Started playing competitive fast pitch in junior high. Started out as a pitcher, but when the coaches realized I was going to be short, they put me behind the plate. There I sat for next few years. Played varsity for 3 years plus the summer competitive league. Didn't really leave much time for any other sport. When we weren't playing I was in the gym with the pitchers for training during the winter. Tore my rotator cuff my senior year. Never healed properly. So my career as a catcher was over. Moved to first base. Played a bit in college.

Didn't really pick it back up until mid 20's. Ended up in the slow pitch leagues. Played about 5 nights a week. That was my social life. Beer, smoking and hanging around the ball field. What I did notice is that my running speed was gone from smoking. Always kept an inhaler in my bag. Have to say it sucked. Thank god I was a good hitter and could hit the ball far enough that I didn't have to sprint it out. I also played a bit of roller hockey, good god, the back and forth just about killed me.

I haven't played in a couple years, it became too expensive and I was unemployed for quite awhile. But now that I am vaping I find my lung capacity to be much better and my speed returning. I can run sprints much better and roller blading has become more enjoyable. My dog, may she rest in peace, would beg to differ about the enjoyment of roller blades.

Way to get back into it!!!

That is what I was talking about. For a lot of sports you can kinda coast a bit. For hockey it is 100% for your entire shift (about 1 minute long) then rest for a minute, then back on the ice going 100%. You demand a lot from your "wind" during a game or pick up skate. This is what I was questing with my first post. I am finding that it has not improved as much as I would have thought, but after reading all of your guys posts, it looks like it just takes a bit more time. That works for me!!

I am glad to see that there are a pretty decent amount of active folks here on this forum. For me, I have had times in my life that the desire comes and goes, but for the most part I would rather go out and do something physical than sit on the couch. Plus, being active makes sitting down and relaxing more enjoyable for me. Although, I have been know to get eaten by the couch-monster a weekend or two here and there. LOL.

You have no idea how much I would just love to sit around and do nothing, and sometimes I just feel so tired, but that Marine Corps in me from nearly 25 years ago won't allow me to relax too much. But at least now after years of training and older age, I've learned to listen to my body a bit more and take time off to let the aging body....well just age a little.

My brother took advantage of the arctic weather we just got hit with. He built an ice rink on his property. He is a hockey player. Hopefully it will stay frozen for awhile. Knowing Colorado, it will probably be in the 70's next week. lol Looks like I might some ice time in during the holiday! This was his first attempt ever building a rink.

1455195_10202978506730277_2026407344_n.j

My brother took advantage of the arctic weather we just got hit with. He built an ice rink on his property. He is a hockey player. Hopefully it will stay frozen for awhile. Knowing Colorado, it will probably be in the 70's next week. lol Looks like I might some ice time in during the holiday! This was his first attempt ever building a rink.

1455195_10202978506730277_2026407344_n.j

Heck yeah!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

SV

I used to play football ..every weekend....but the smoking really effected it.. That's why i choose e cig...and just started.

Let see...

Was always a runner/skater before I started smoking cigarettes. Got too winded too quickly to wanna work out because of cigs. Stopped smoking 6 months ago cold turkey, and started vaping 2 months ago for various reasons. Now I'm back into shape and just about as healthy as I was in high school. I'm back in the gym, back on the track, and thinking about joining an area Lacrosse team. Better lungs have helped steady my breathing patterns while riding my motorcycle on the track as well...It can be very exhausting taking turn after turn and using your body to help control the bike. More oxygen to the brain = clearer thinking and quicker reactions. I've actually taken more than 2 seconds off my fastest lap time, which is a large feat with no modifications to the bike. About to buy some new aggressive inline skates as well. It's nice feeling like you are 16 again.

That is awesome to hear guys!! Its amazing to see the improvement in what we can do physically once we get off the analogs.

I am still seeing some improvement in my "wind", but I have a little cough and congestion for the last little while that is still holding me back a bit.

Keep the good stories coming folks!!