RSST rebuild issue

iheartvape

Ok, so a little background on me, I'm not entirely new to rebuilding, I have my RDA I rebuild on regularly, however I bought a RBA, the RSST, that honestly is just kicking my butt.

I can not seem to get a stable coil built on it. I get a dam good coil, evenly spaced, all glows red evenly on pre burn with out the mesh, reading at 1.4ohms. My issue though is I get it to fire once then it says it's only at like .8 ohms, then I just touch the wick or flick it and it's back at 1.4 and it will fire again. I have wasted about a good 2 maybe 3 feet of Kanthal A1 28 gauge wire and about 5 squares of SS mesh trying to figure this out.

Any ideas or anything on what the deal is? I thought maybe I wasn't wrapping enough coils, so I tried more then less then micro coils, all do the same.

Wire size, drop to 30-32 gauge Kanthal you will have much better luck. 28ga will work but you need at least 12 wraps. You want your lowest ohm reading at 1.5 to 1.7. 5 wraps with 30ga or 4 wraps with 32.

Also you want the top of the coil as close to the + post as you can get without touching it. Some people add a small washer to the post. This will allow the coil to be close to positive and still be straight.

Edited by Compenstine

Awesome, yeah I just started using 28, it works good on my RDA but like you were saying it's pretty dam hard to get 12 wraps for the RBA. I do have a washer in my top post butility it's just a small one that came with the RSST.

Question though, what does having the top of the coil so close the the + do? I was making mine straight up and down with a little distance between it and the + post. That right there might be 1 issue then.

Think of wire like a hose for electricity the bigger the hose, the more electricity can flow freely, less restriction. Ohms measure the flow of electricity in the wire like water pressure in a hose. As the hose gets smaller the more restricted the flow gets. The length also plays a factor in the Ohms, the longer the wire, the higher the ohms.

What I know about placing the wire close to positive does only one thing,. It shortens the wire in turn dropping the ohms by a very small amount. All the videos I have seen mention to do this, but none have really explained why. But I have noticed with the RBA I have (T2), it seems to make a difference in it being more stable, meaning the ohm readings don't bounce when i check it.

Edited by Compenstine

Alright I finally did it!!!! Still using the 28 gauge but I learned that my coils were too small in diameter. So using a brush wheel for my dremmel is the same size as the hole for the wick so I wrapped my coil around it, then pulled the wheel out tested coil with a 12 wrap and it was at like 2.8 ohms so I unwrapped 2 coils 're cut and retest, now I'm sitting at 2.2 ohms. Next build I will do 2 less cause I like mine at 1.8 ohms. I also learned I need a pen torch to hit the mesh with as well it's taking forever to get the nasty taste out even after pulsing the coil for about 20 minutes.

... all glows red evenly on pre burn with out the mesh, reading at 1.4ohms. My issue though is I get it to fire once then it says it's only at like .8 ohms, then I just touch the wick or flick it and it's back at 1.4 and it will fire again. I have wasted about a good 2 maybe 3 feet of Kanthal A1 28 gauge wire and about 5 squares of SS mesh trying to figure this out.

That usually means you haven't made good, solid wire connections to your posts. And FWIW a SS wick can be reused for many new coils.

Yea ss mesh wicks can be reused for just about forever. Another thing to try if you cant get a good coil going is to take a very small amount of cotton and lightly wrap it around the portion of the wick where the coils goes. However you can not dryburn with this method.