SmokTech RSST Simple Leak Fix

Rixter

Anyone who owns a SmokTech RSST will probably agree that it is a really great RBA, but it does have at least one flaw...it leaks. This is something that I've seen online over and over from RSST owners, so I figured it had to be a design issue. I then set out to figure out what the problem was and how to fix it.

Well, I figured it out, and the solution is a simple one.

The leak occurs because Smoktech decided to go with a hard white plastic insulator where the positive posts passes through the RSST's top deck, so your juice ends up flowing right past the insulator, down the shaft, and right out the bottom into your mod's 510 connection. Why they went with a hard plastic top deck insulator instead of a soft silicone insulator/seal is beyond me, but they did.

To stop your RSST from leaking, you'll need to get some of these:

DiscountVapers.com_tiamatHydra_rubbersea

Silicone top-hat seals for an AGA-T2

I was unsuccessful in finding just the seals, but I did find the entire AGA-T2 replacement part kit (which includes a couple of these seals) for $2.59 from VaporCigzz. (If anyone is successful in finding just the seals, please post where you found 'em.)

Once you have your silicone seals, just break down your RSST and replace the hard plastic top deck insulator with one of the soft silicone insulators/seals. Then put everything back together, fill 'er up, and enjoy leak-free vaping.

I hope this helps...mine hasn't leaked a single drop since I did this.

gallery_15088_188_25102.jpg

My SmokTech RSST with AGA-T2 top deck seal...no more leaks!

• 1 month later...

Anyone who owns a SmokTech RSST will probably agree that it is a really great RBA, but it does have at least one flaw...it leaks. This is something that I've seen online over and over from RSST owners, so I figured it had to be a design issue. I then set out to figure out what the problem was and how to fix it.

Well, I figured it out, and the solution is a simple one.

The leak occurs because Smoktech decided to go with a hard white plastic insulator where the positive posts passes through the RSST's top deck, so your juice ends up flowing right past the insulator, down the shaft, and right out the bottom into your mod's 510 connection. Why they went with a hard plastic top deck insulator instead of a soft silicone insulator/seal is beyond me, but they did.

To stop your RSST from leaking, you'll need to get some of these:

DiscountVapers.com_tiamatHydra_rubbersea

Silicone top-hat seals for an AGA-T2

I was unsuccessful in finding just the seals, but I did find the entire AGA-T2 replacement part kit (which includes a couple of these seals) for $2.59 from VaporCigzz. (If anyone is successful in finding just the seals, please post where you found 'em.)

Once you have your silicone seals, just break down your RSST and replace the hard plastic top deck insulator with one of the soft silicone insulators/seals. Then put everything back together, fill 'er up, and enjoy leak-free vaping.

I hope this helps...mine hasn't leaked a single drop since I did this.

gallery_15088_188_25102.jpg

My SmokTech RSST with AGA-T2 top deck seal...no more leaks!

I just happened on this site while searching for RSST leak fixes. Thank you for the info and pics. In regards to you asking about a supplier that sells the post insulators by themselves, Kidney Puncher sells a pack of ten for $1.95. http://www.kidneypuncher.com/aga-series-positive-post-insulators-10-pack .

If I may make one suggestion, others have stated that placing a washer between the spring and insulator seems to provide uniform pressure on the seal.

I just happened on this site while searching for RSST leak fixes. Thank you for the info and pics. In regards to you asking about a supplier that sells the post insulators by themselves, Kidney Puncher sells a pack of ten for $1.95. http://www.kidneypuncher.com/aga-series-positive-post-insulators-10-pack .

If I may make one suggestion, others have stated that placing a washer between the spring and insulator seems to provide uniform pressure on the seal.

Thanks a bunch for the info on where to buy the insulators. I'm ordering some now. As for the washer under the spring, I didn't have one at the time that had the proper ID & OD so I went without it, but after a month of use, I still haven't had any leaks.

*EDIT*

It's nice to know where to get the insulators, but with $6.20 as Kidney Puncher's cheapest shipping option, I think I'll wait until I need some more gear to place an order there. That's a little (a lot) too much to spend on shipping for a $1.95 item. I suppose I could try contacting them and asking if they mind dropping them in a regular envelope and mailing them as a letter. :yes

*ANOTHER EDIT*

I just sent them an email that says:

I know this is going to make me sound like a cheapskate (which I am, I suppose), but if I buy a couple of your AGA Series Positive Post Insulators - 10 packs, couldn't you just drop 'em in a regular envelope and charge me for mailing them like a letter? I just can't see paying $6.20 for shipping on an item no bigger than a packet of Sweet-N-Low.

Who knows...maybe they're cool.

*YET ANOTHER EDIT*

I see where people are using these same insulators for replacement grommets when rebuilding KPT & EVOD coils. Very interesting.

Edited by Rixter

• 1 month later...

Thanks all for sharing! Great info and links!!

I did the washer below spring as the RSST comes with a spare. Hard to tell if it helped. My leaks are minimal.....just have to remember to remove head from battery holder before bed.

@ Rixter Try http://www.hoosiervapes.com, they look to be .35cents. he also carry's an AGA-1 and 2 replacement parts bag but I am not sure that bag has the insulator part, but right beside it for the 35 cents appears to be same as in your photograph. shipping I have not checked on. I recently ordered from Hoosier and could not find the 510 to 510 connector on the site and made note of it in my comments and he sent me a free one. shipping went out the same day I ordered. prices were good here on most items.

thanks for the tip on the rsst, I thought it was something I had done wrong cuz it did not leak the first time I used it lol

RSST With Glass tank!

It's done with custom cut tubes that were fire annealed and some silicone washers that had to be trimmed up a touch for the fill hole and Wick hole. SS wire rope wich with XS-116 Silica sleeve. First time doing that. It's ugly but functional!

null_zps11b323d9.jpg

null_zpsc5eb3d74.jpg

Edited by Proetus

RSST With Glass tank!

It's done with custom cut tubes that were fire annealed and some silicone washers that had to be trimmed up a touch for the fill hole and Wick hole. SS wire rope wich with XS-116 Silica sleeve. First time doing that. It's ugly but functional!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nice job but to me that's too much work

Nice job but to me that's too much work

The major benefit here is to be able to use the RSST (a great little RBA) with juices that may cloud or crack its original polycarbonate tank.

It's really not a lot of work. Take plastic tank off, put washer at bottom, put glass on, place trimmed washer and deck on top. Being mindful that your wick/fill hole match with the washer.

Not sure that you can order them from anyone. Coop was ran on ecf. We ordered 200 Custom cut tubes specifically for this. They ended up being $2.75 each shipped to the host. The washers came from McMastercarr and we also ordered agat silicone insulators In bulk to fix the leak issue. I know iBtanked will custom cut tubes, but they require a minimum order of 3 tho. They were one of the vendors that we looked at in the planning stage tho. I believe I ended up paying 19.95 for three Glass tanks, 10pk of Silicone Insulators and 8 Washers.

Glass Specs

20MM OD

1.8MM wall thickness

14MM high

Edited by Proetus