George Duke is Gone

One of jazz's greatest keyboard players is gone. He was only 67. I have followed his career for more years than I can count. Seen him play many times. Met him at a show. I'm heartbroken. This is such a loss. He will be missed greatly.

For those of you who don't know him, he was a jazz fusion pioneer in the '70s playing with Billy Cobham and John Scofield. He played on many recordings notably with Frank Zappa and Miles Davis. He branched into pop music and produced music for many other well known artists. He was from San Francisco.

Ah this just sucks.

Yup, the realization of ones mortality is relevant to your age, and the loss of friends, family, and celebs you grew up with more frequently disappear. And Bebop, you may appreciate this, but it was addressed years ago, in a little known song, lyrics by Bernie Taupin, and recorded by Elton John, on an album that many call 'the greatest album without a hit', 'Tumbleweed Connection', with the song called 'Talking Old Soldiers'.

With the line 'Do they know what it's like to have a graveyard as a friend, cause that's where they are boy....all of them'.

IMO, a little known masterpiece about growing old, and the loneliness that can come with growing 'too' old.