Resistance help for noob

sonofzell

Apologies if this is elementary...

I've only been vaping since March of this year. I'm currently using an eGO-C 1000mah VV with a Kanger ProTank. The only juice I've had in it is VG (and friggin' DELICIOUS!), with 2.2ohm coils.

After playing around with voltage, I've found that 4.0 - 4.2 volts suits my taste, however I am consistently getting "pops" when taking a drag. It's not the typical "gurgle", and I'm definitely on top of keeping my tank clean. At 4.2v, I've even experienced a sharp burn at times (it almost feels like a spark from a sparkler in my mouth), accompanied with a nasty taste on the hit. Dropping to ~3.6v definitely seems to eliminate the "pops", but doesn't really satisfy my taste.

My (very unexperienced) suspicion is that I am not using the proper resistance coils, but truthfully, I have no idea if this is logical (and if so, what change should I be making). I've been using 2.2ohm replacement coils for no other reason than that was the type that came packaged with my tank when I bought it.

Thanks in advance for any advice you might be able to offer!

Cheers,

K

P.S. - If anyone's interested in the Juice that hooked me to vaping, it's from a small shop in the Philly 'burbs: http://shop.vaporphoxxe.com/Tangled-Tobacco-48.htm

I am far from expert on this but.....

it does sound like the liquid is having some trouble wicking to the heating element fast enough. VG liquid is pretty thick and can have trouble wicking, especially at the lower resistance.

I use 90% PG and 10% VG. still occasionally get crackling, but much less burnt hits.

it does sound like the liquid is having some trouble wicking to the heating element fast enough. VG liquid is pretty thick and can have trouble wicking, especially at the lower resistance.

I use 90% PG and 10% VG. still occasionally get crackling, but much less burnt hits.

Hmmm... I hadn't considered that. I'm pretty sure the juice is 100%VG, and it's definitely a lot more viscous than most liquids I've seen people use. Hopefully I can swing by tomorrow and have them brew a 50/50 to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks so much for the suggestion!

:unworthy:

I basically have the same setup except my coils that came with the protank are labeled 2.5 ohm and I don't get that. Even if I use a boge 510 carto I don't get that and they are 1.8 ohm.

Perhaps it is the juice itself? I'm gonna give kitsune's suggestion a try (hopefully tomorrow). The resistance was just a shot in the dark since I'm pretty much clueless lol.

I'll be sure to let you know if using the PG/VG makes a difference.

-K

I don't know, but for some reason, I have never had very good luck with the higher vg liquids and any cartomizer, Clearomizer or atomizer. I know many use Higher VG without problem, not sure why it has always given me trouble.

with VG I always get more crackling, Popping and burnt hits.....

i use 100% VG juice in my KPT's and i have never had a problem with them not wicking fast enough... they do however like to flood with a cotton wick! :D i would say your coil might be the issue.

Take the coil out of the bottom. the long skinny part of it can actually come off the and it will reveal the coil. I would then screw it back into the base and try a dry burn of it to see if you have a hotspot on the coil. IF you do its an easy fix as you can push the coils around to get them to heat regularly. If its popping im going with a hotspot thats heating too fast and no liquid is able to cool it.

Since you are vaping at 8 watts of power or less (using the formula: voltage²÷resistance=power, & the numbers you provided), and it's happened with more than one coil head, I'm going to say that it's an ingredient in the juice you're using.

It could very well be that the coils you have are mislabeled, so I suggest checking them with a meter to confirm their stated resistance level before switching from a juice blend that you really like.

i use 100% VG juice in my KPT's and i have never had a problem with them not wicking fast enough... they do however like to flood with a cotton wick! :D i would say your coil might be the issue.

Take the coil out of the bottom. the long skinny part of it can actually come off the and it will reveal the coil. I would then screw it back into the base and try a dry burn of it to see if you have a hotspot on the coil. IF you do its an easy fix as you can push the coils around to get them to heat regularly. If its popping im going with a hotspot thats heating too fast and no liquid is able to cool it.

I did breakdown the coil unit (just out of curiosity, really), but didn't think to check for proper gaps. The thing is, I've experienced this with at least 4 coil heads. Granted, they were likely from the same manufacturing batch.

Since you are vaping at 8 watts of power or less (using the formula: voltage²÷resistance=power, & the numbers you provided), and it's happened with more than one coil head, I'm going to say that it's an ingredient in the juice you're using.

It could very well be that the coils you have are mislabeled, so I suggest checking them with a meter to confirm their stated resistance level before switching from a juice blend that you really like.

I used a standard multimeter when I broke the coil down and got ~2.1ohms on a well-used coil. Since I had never considered the juice being the source, I'm going to pick up some 100%PG later today (hoping I can use my existing VG of the same flavor to play around with mixing ratios). I sure would hate to find that I can't use this flavor since I love it so much!

Many thanks (and one "mahalo" @kitsune) for your suggestions!!!

post-25497-137443001726_thumb.jpg

Ok, I'm a happy camper!

I just picked up a PG batch from the shop (The self-proclaimed "juice nazi" was hesitant to brew it 100%PG - not really sure why, but who am I to judge lol). I did a quick mix by topping off my tank (probably about 4:6 PG/VG) and giving it a good shake.

The difference is shocking. No pops, just smooth, silent vapor! Could the solution really be this simple?! I'm going to make a proper 50/50 mix when I get home, but this is promising!

I did breakdown the coil unit (just out of curiosity, really), but didn't think to check for proper gaps. The thing is, I've experienced this with at least 4 coil heads. Granted, they were likely from the same manufacturing batch.

I used a standard multimeter when I broke the coil down and got ~2.1ohms on a well-used coil. Since I had never considered the juice being the source, I'm going to pick up some 100%PG later today (hoping I can use my existing VG of the same flavor to play around with mixing ratios). I sure would hate to find that I can't use this flavor since I love it so much!

Many thanks (and one "mahalo" @kitsune) for your suggestions!!!

Good job, kitsune...sounds like your diagnosis was right. :clap:

LOL !! 4 years of trial and error paying off. Glad it worked though.

The VG (for me anyway) is still useful in smaller amounts for added vapor. Overall, I find that PG mixes are a bit easier on the heating elements. The heating elements seem to have to work a bit harder with the higher VG.