Starter Kits vs "Custom" Set Ups for a New User

Hey guys. I'm new to vaping and I wanted to know what would be a better route to take.

The starter kit I'm currently looking at is (if there are other suggestions please do tell):

http://www.vapingstyle.com/JetSetter_Kit/p1822349_8572852.aspx

Or should I go to a custom rig. The parts I was looking at are:

eGo Twist battery

Kanger T3

Those would be the only parts I need, correct (outside of other accessories like batteries and what not)?

I think a kit with two batteries ,two atomizing devices and one or two chargers is a smart investment for anyone.It sure does bite to break your one and only anything just as you are getting into vaping and have to wait on the delivery person.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I noticed on the site they also have the twist ..

Spinner vs Twist?

I've used the Twist for a long time and just recently got a Spinner. They work and feel exactly the same right down to the button and they use the same charger. The Spinner is a little smaller for same amount of mah which is a plus. Also it is much easier to read the numbers(volts) on the Spinner. The starter kit that Jeff pointed out is really good, vaping doesn't get much better than that. I use that setup regularly.

I would also pick up a few Vision nano's or maybe a Kanger EVOD or two as well. So you can have multiple juices ready to go and not have to worry about cleaning a tank when you want to switch. A drip tip and atty for sampling juice is good also! I went with the build my own kit vs the premades. I started with one battery and ordered the second yesterday.

As far as Twist vs spinner, i cant say i got my Twist the other day, ordered a Spinner yesterday! I'll chime in on that subject later!

Edited by Proetus

A drip tip is just a mouthpiece you put onto an atomizer, cartomizer, or tank setup. Some people can drip into the drip tip itself and hit the coil on their drip atomizers, but I'm not that talented, LOL!!! Honestly, if I knew when I started what I know now (all 2 1/2 months ago)....I'd probably have told myself to do what I did anyways. There's a learning curve everyone has to go through, and no one singular magic "setup" that will work for everyone right out of the gate. Start Simple, and Upgrade Later!!!! There are a ton of setups and methods out there. My suggestion is to do your homework, and go for what you think will give you the best chance of success....even if that means waiting a month, and ordering more than what you will end up needing. You can always take your unwanted stuff, and pay it forward by giving it to someone who wants to quit smoking, and guide them through the steps. Oh, also you will need backup equipment. So, whatever you order, get double. That way, you'll never be left high and dry, ready to go back to analogs while waiting for replacement gear.

Edited by CascadianExotics

You can't go wrong with a VV battery. Quick n Dirty on juice. The more VG the bigger the vapor, the more PG the bigger the throat hit. Vg is thicker then PG. Most places try to sell 70/30-75/25 pg/vg. There are a few 100%vg 90/10 vg/pg. Only issue with that is 100%vg is alot thicker then 25/75 pg/vg so it requires a little more patience/modification on the user end to make the 100% vg work. Some people are intolerant to VG as well.

I currently run 1.8ohm heads in my mini nova's (all i got!) so i find myself running my twist between 3.2-3.8 depending on what i got in the tank. Which i like! Guy i work with who also started when i did, just regular non variable batt's and is stuck finding what works good instead of adjust voltage! He'll be buying a vv batt soon im sure!

Edited by Proetus

You can't go wrong with a VV battery.....

Sure you can....now, please do not take this the wrong way. But, here is an alternate perspective on variable voltage:

I picked up a Twist back in late January. It worked for all of a month (only being used a handful of times) then suddenly quit working. Personally, I'm not too bent about it because it never worked right for me with any clearomizer, so I just used it for direct dripping while sampling flavors. Then again, I found myself leaving it at one setting the whole time, and decided it was pretty well pointless. :lol:

The 3.2-3.8 volt range is the exact same range as a standard eGo battery runs from fully charged to full drain. Though, you cannot run it at a single constant voltage, it still works well. Understanding this, all you would need to do is get an atty / carto / clearo head with a resistance you like (you were saying 1.8 ohm), put it on a standard eGo, and vape away. At which point, you might as well get a mechanical mod, and a DCT, or RBA, and look good doing it!!!

Again, please do not take this the wrong way. The whole process of finding out what works is sometimes neverending (look at pbusardo, lol), and is as individual as there are gadgets and gizmos to screw on your devices.

That is true that the Twist has that range....in fact, I was using it at its max setting for a 3.5 ohm atty. I was more referring to how Proteus was setting his device between 3.2-3.8 for a 1.8 clearo head. Thereby making the argument that he may as well use a standard battery if he likes that resistance. Point being that even with a variable voltage device, everyone is "stuck" fiddling around trying to find something that works, until they find that magical number combination that works for them.

Point taken ! And not the wrong way at all! Discussion is the nature of the beast on forums. After re-reading my post yes I may as well have a standard 3.6-3.8 batt for how i'm using it at this time. However I have the ability to use different higher power requirement devices in the future. Which is what i was getting at and just didn't communicate properly. I am of the mindset of buying something a little bigger then you need and growing into it.

happy vaping to you sir!

Simple answer is: Yes unless you don't mind the juice combo. Don't forget the important "dry it" step. That's the most painful part. I use an air compressor to speed that process but keep the pressure below 120. Stuff like menthol or cotton candy are somewhat mix-friendly if you don't mind the mix. I find life is easier when i have an atty for each flavoor. Until then you may find some fun (or not) mixes if you don't rinse. I have one carto that has had a few drops of just about everything trying to kill the Kahlua. It was more fun to me to experiment than just pitch or clean a yuck carto.

Well, just got my twist/MT3 package in. Enjoying it so far.

Since I only have one tank, should I rinse/wash it when I switch liquids?

The best piece of advice I got from various forum members on this site is: back ups! And back ups of back ups. You never know when your atomizer, cartomizer, clearomizer, etc. is going to stop working. Most of the time mine work for several weeks up to a couple of months depending on how much I use them, but it's best to have another for when you need it.

As for cleaning out your carto, it's hard to really get the filler material clean so that your juices don't mix unless you boil them. Youtube has vids for that. For me, it's too much trouble. At this time I have about seven different flavors going in Vision Nano, Vivi Nova Mini, T2, T3, MT3 and Vision Stardusts and just change each onto my battery. :D

The best piece of advice I got from various forum members on this site is: back ups! And back ups of back ups. You never know when your atomizer, cartomizer, clearomizer, etc. is going to stop working. Most of the time mine work for several weeks up to a couple of months depending on how much I use them, but it's best to have another for when you need it.

As for cleaning out your carto, it's hard to really get the filler material clean so that your juices don't mix unless you boil them. Youtube has vids for that. For me, it's too much trouble. At this time I have about seven different flavors going in Vision Nano, Vivi Nova Mini, T2, T3, MT3 and Vision Stardusts and just change each onto my battery. :D

100% agree. I recently just started vaping and started slim. 650mah twist, 2 mini novas and 1 charger. In the course of a week, in which i was awaiting my backups, i was nervous something was going to break,burn up or run out of juice! Since then i have purchased multiples of everything. Vision Spinner 1300mah, IClear30, 2 Vision nano's and 3 Kanger EVOD's. The nano's are fabulous for tasting juice as they are fairly small capacity and bottom coil so a coupla drops and you can taste away! The EVOD's are just fabulous imo. I got my first one thursday night and immediately ordered two more after using it half the day friday. Don't forget the juice! I also went on a juice spree this weekend, 354ml enroute to my location for vapor induced goodness!

Tam's got another nugget of brilliance in there as well. Instead of swapping cleaning everytime you want to swap flavors, by having multiple backups you can have a couple tanks/cartos/clearomizers hanging out ready to rock!

Happy Vaping!

Edited by Proetus

I do have extra bottom coils, just not tanks.

If I want to use the same tank, do I just unscrew the coil, rinse the tank, and let it dry? Should be ok after that right?

Cause I've been reading about people "dry burning" (that's just pressing the button when the tank+coil is off?) Is that only to remove "gunk"?

I don't think I'd have any cause I just got it a couple days ago ..

Yes, just empty the tank of all old juice (don't put it back into the bottle of the new juice as that will contaminate it), rinse and I'd let the wick dry overnight or blot well. The wick may retain a little bit of the old flavor, but if it's compatible with the new it won't be unpleasant and shouldn't last very long.

I've dry burned a few coils but find that you risk getting a burned flavor with the new juice. It doesn't always happen but it does on occasion as per my experience. Normal wear and tear usually doesn't require the gunk to be burned off as long as you're not trying to use a juice that's super high in VG. :)

Personally, I believe "dry-burning" is mostly used when employing RBA SS mesh wick setups. As Tam pointed out, dry-burning a clearo is risking a burnt flavor. When I clean my clearomizer, I do the following method religiously: 1) remove, rinse, and dry the drip tip. 2) remove, rinse, and dry the tank. 3) remove the head. Remove the silicone piece. Rinse, and pat-dry the whole assembly with a paper towel. 4) rinse and dry the base. 5) re-assemble the base with the head minus the silicone piece. 6) attach the base + head to the battery / mod, and pulse-fire a few times until the internal coil and wick is dry....this takes some practice, but you'll figure it out soon enough. 7) re-assemble the clearomizer unit, and fill with your favorite liquid. 8) wait five minutes, and enjoy a vape!!! Normally, I use a paper towel, along with blowing air thorough the hollow parts to dry everything on the unit. Once you find your groove, then these steps can be accomplished in 5 minutes or less. Hope this helps!!!

• 4 months later...