Another Battery Question!

Stories about Mods blowing up in people's faces is making me want to learn more about batteries. I keep hearing about how you aren't supposed to "stack" batteries.

Just to clarify, that means you aren't supposed to use 2?

The reason I ask is that I have an Infinity Pro, which is supposed to use 2 14430 batteries.

Is this stacking? And if so, why isn't it bad in this case?

On another note - have you ever gotten batteries from somewhere other than the mod maker? For example, said 14430s are sold at Notcigs.com for $8 a pair.

But I found this site, which appears to sell the exact same battery for $2.86 a piece, so long as you order 5. Is there something wrong with sites like that?

Anyway - thoughts?

Stacking is something I won't touch on. Some people do it, but that is at their own POSSIBLE risk.

The batteries you have noted in your post simply are different, from Notcigs, they are protected batteries. The ones from the other vendor are not protected.

What this means is that the ones from the other vendor COULD POSSIBLY rapidly discharge and explode. Typically, it is suggested that you only use protected batteries in personal use mods as you will probably have them in your pockets/near your face quite often...and you don't want bad things happening to you because you could save 20 bucks on batteries over the year... Just not worth it quite honestly.

Lol. In the infinity that is fine, IMO. That would be a neat battery to find though! The infinity is an EXCELLENT piece of hardware and has the circuitry to prevent most problems. Realistically, your's is safer than my 18650 VV tube, IMO. Not to worry you, What I would suggest is that you should use a single 18650, instead of two 18350's. In the infinity there really isn't an option. They use the smaller battery and a dual bay charger to lower charge times. And use the highest quality battery, and this does not mean you should over spend on batteries, just buy from reputable vendors.

Chris will correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by sasetrase

"Stacking" is using 2 (or more)batts in series(whether on top of each other

or side by side in a box mod) to double the voltage.Which is what the IPRO does

then the electronics in the unit allow you to turn the voltage down to whtever you like.

The IPRO and BUZZ PRO have safety features built in to prevent batts from over discharging,

over heating etc... but it's still a good idea to use protected or safer chemistry batts.

You can also use batts in parallel to double or triple etc,, the Mah of a device but keep

the voltage the same as a single batt.

The Provari and Lavatube use a single batt.but have a booster chip to raise the voltage to

whatever the user likes (within set limits depending on device)

This is generally accepted as safer but still has some risks.That's the reason for vent holes

and over discharge overheat protection circuits etc...

Lithium ion batts that are used in most e-cigs and high end tactical flashlights and cell phones

can and do vent hot gasses and if they are in a sealed case they become bombs.

Not trying to scare anyone away but you should be aware of the risks.

Some of the newer batts like the AW IMR have a safer chemistry that prevents explosive venting

A great resource for learning about this is Battery University.

HTH

"Stacking" is using 2 (or more)batts in series(whether on top of each other

or side by side in a box mod) to double the voltage.Which is what the IPRO does

then the electronics in the unit allow you to turn the voltage down to whtever you like.

The IPRO and BUZZ PRO have safety features built in to prevent batts from over discharging,

over heating etc... but it's still a good idea to use protected or safer chemistry batts.

You can also use batts in parallel to double or triple etc,, the Mah of a device but keep

the voltage the same as a single batt.

The Provari and Lavatube use a single batt.but have a booster chip to raise the voltage to

whatever the user likes (within set limits depending on device)

This is generally accepted as safer but still has some risks.That's the reason for vent holes

and over discharge overheat protection circuits etc...

Lithium ion batts that are used in most e-cigs and high end tactical flashlights and cell phones

can and do vent hot gasses and if they are in a sealed case they become bombs.

Not trying to scare anyone away but you should be aware of the risks.

Some of the newer batts like the AW IMR have a safer chemistry that prevents explosive venting

A great resource for learning about this is Battery University.

HTH

You're so smart Joe :)

The electronics inside of the infinity pro are some of the safest if not the safest on the market. I wouldn't worry about stacking batteries inside of one.

Actually I wouldn't worry about stacking batteries in anything just so long as you know what in the hell you're doing. My grandma called me today to warm me about my e cig exploding.

I feel for the guy...I really do..but this was a freak accident. A 6 year old girl died in my area because she choked on a hot dog at school. Will it make national news and will the FDA ban hot dogs? No...

Death and injury occur all the time. It's part of life. If you feel uncomfortable using an e cig then you should never drive a car, get on an airplane, ride a roller coaster, cross the street, use a cell phone, drink alcohol, eat processed foods, walk on the sidewalk, walk up or down stairs, or ride a bicycle.

Also my children will never play outside, walk back from the bus stop without parental supervision, play on a swingset, play in the mud, swim in a pond, ride a skateboard, play any kind of sport, jump on the bed, run at any time EVER, and certainly never be allowed outside unless I am within 5 feet of them.

I know I went to extremes a little bit but I am trying to get a point across. If you worried about everything that could potentially kill or injure you life would be no fun.

Would you rather smoke and have a 1 in 4 chance of dying or vape and have a 1 in a million chance of having a battery failure.

brb while I put my PV with stacked batteries up to my face and press the fire button.

p.s. If I came off as a jerk GOOD :p lol j/k

p.s.s. Should my e cig ever explode in my face and make national news I will take an interview on TV and defend electronic cigarettes.

p.s.s.s. Response..."hey bob...you are going to have some fat kids"

BEAT YOU TO IT! HA!

Edited by bobthesalesclerk

I think having protection circuits in the actual mod is going to be thing wave of the future. Provape saw this a long time ago and have protection circuity even in their 3.7V Provape-1. I have had a couple of instances with my Silver Bullet where I felt it getting warm (once while using stacked batteries and once with an AW IMR). In both cases, I believe there was a short in the atty causing a high drain on the battery. The other day my Provari kept cutting off on me. I would remove the battery, put it back in, get a hit or two and it would do it again. I was using a carto that was about a week old, but it was still reading 2.0 ohms. Still, I changed the carto and the unit started working fine. I could be wrong, but I think the carto was starting to short out and was trying to draw to much power from the battery.