Vaping Etiquette - Is There Such A Thing?

jen_haynes

Hola! So I'm vaping everywhere -- in my car, at festivals, in my home, && even in my bed :S I'm getting used to be in the house more than being outside when I smoked. I never did any of these things as a smoker. I hid in shame. Never smoked around my kids or inside of the house or inside the car. So it brings me to this question -- is there a vaping etiquette within the community? do you have one? if so, why?

Much Obliged folks!!

I have yet to vape outside. I just don't want to be the weirdo walking the streets, sucking on a lightsaber. :dizzy: I did ask my boss and each of my coworkers if they were ok with it. I guess the rule of thumb is to just exercise common sense and courtesy.

I vape in front of people all the time that part doesn't bother me :) although in some ways I hope a cop pulls me over thinking it is a one hitter.....lol

Just kidding although that thought has crossed my mind.....lol

:cheers:

Stealth vape when in crowded spaces... I wouldn't want someone blowing their garlic and onion breath my way (okay, so I would if it were fried onion and garlic lol). Or invading my space with their mouth spritz or fabreeze or hairspray or whatever. So, yeah, I agree with those who say to just use your common sense good manners and stealth vape when you need a draw (blow it down your shirt if you can't hold it).

For me personally I follow the "If you couldn't smoke there before, don't vape there now" rule. If I need to vape, I'll ask the owner of the establishment I'm in. :)

Though, as electronic cigarette become more popular, owners are becoming more accepting. Especially bar owners.

I guess I need to practice a little more watchfulness. I had to google stealth vape :) That sounds like a solution! Since I've used my pv while driving, I'm ALWAYS paranoid about the police pulling me over. As for trying out vape night at a few places, that's a big step for Chicago! I just moved from chitown a few years ago & man -- people would look at you like a leper for smoking even while outside. (I think that's when my hiding habits started) I'd be interested to hear how that goes up there. Thanks for weighing in folks!! :wine:

I'm in Alaska and I know only a handful of us that vape. I haven't seen anyone around town do it either. So I keep it to a few places only. My boss and coworkers are cool about it, which is great so I vape all day at work. When I am at someone's house I ask, or I slip outside. In the airport it's stealth all the way, trying to vape in the bathroom is difficult with all that vapor! I don't do the bar scene so I don't know but I do know a few of my friends have been asked not to vape at restaurants...even outdoors.I vape at home in the house and in the car too. Kids are much happier that I am not smoking! FWIW

I personally feel very uncomfortable vamping in areas where I wasn't allowed to smoke. Call it habit or whatever. I do stealth tape in a lot of those places though. Movie theaters being huge and really convenient. When I first started vamping I went crazy vamping where I couldn't smoke just to stir things up and get the looks but it's novelty worse off.

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to follow what Chris said.

Last weekend, I found myself in my sister-in-law's minivan with the two nephews in front of me for a 3 hour ride.(SiL & wife in driver's/shotgun, nephews in the middle bench, myself in the back row) I finished my drink from sonic and vaped the whole way, blowing vapor into the cup via straw. Very few whisps came out of the cup. And since I was relaxing, laying down and watching netflix on my iPhone, they never noticed. #StealthVape

Whenever we go to east Texas and stay with her parents and grandma, I do the ol' bathroom vape, or wait till they're asleep and then I vape as I please.

I still follow the If You Can't Smoke There, You Cant Vape There rule.

When I'm in the smoking area I always get 1 or 2 people to ask.. Hey, Is That One Of Those Electronic Cigarette Thingies? Then, I'll gladly answer there questions and if I turn someone new onto it, Congradulations to them as well.

Everyone knows me !! Of course... I'm always 'etiquette' when it comes to vaping! :whistle:

I just hope, we as vapers, learn to not fear the public when it comes to using them around others... especially OUTDOORS around others! We aren't that nasty/smelly/scummy cigarette smoker that we used to be when we were basically shunned as we smoked. Come on folks... there's absolutely nothing to hide or worry about here... nor is it illegal to use in public ! Besides, there's nothing offensive about them at all that I can come up with. The only thing you would need to worry about, is if you can explain it to those interested.. because thats usually what ends up happening, you have to tell everyone what it is because they are curious! What's the worst that might happen then... you turn on another analog smoker to the greatness of vaping and the electronic cigarette age?? I don't see that as a bad deal at all peeps!

'VAPE ON/VAPE PROUD!'

Edited by DAYVAPE

I usually just go outside unless I am at home. I even smoked outside at home and I told my husband that I vape by my computer. He just gave me the look but he didn't tell me to still go outside. AHH... yes, that made me feel better about it. He does not seem to notice any smoke in the house. Mainly because there is not any. He is an ex smoker (1989) and does not notice it. So if he does not notice it, no one else will. I still go outside at work because if you are caught smoking in the building you will be fired and I really don't want to risk it. I did tell my supervisor about the ecig and he said that he has one also for emergencies. But he never said that I could use it in the building so I won't.

I am like all of the others, if you can't smoke there, you don't vape there.

My wife was apprehensive at first about me vaping in the house. She tried to make me go outside like I did with the analogs. Lasted about an hour.

Now, she sits next to me in the living room while I vape away, and it doesn't bother her at all. Every so often she claims she can smell it, but I think that's just psychological. Either way, she's ALOT happier about the smell and the money spent.

I agree with the consensus that if you can't smoke there, you can't vape there either. Common sense really, though I've seen a few push the limits.

I personally do not agree with the if you cant smoke there don't vape there rule. It's fine if thats your thing but it's not for me. I feel if people see up abstaining from vaping in places where you can't smoke they will think, so those are just as bad as cigarettes. I don't want that, I want the opposite, so I vape everywhere. In 6 months no one has asked me not to vape in their business place. This includes fast food restaurants Wal-Mart, Home Depo, Lowes, Malls etc.

Lowes is supposed to have a no vaping policy but it's not posted publicly in the store. I know Wal-Mart has a no vaping policy for the employees, they have to vape outside on their breaks. I have had people from both stores come to me and ask me where they can get an e-cig for themselves or a loved one. I have had store managers tell me it's o.k. if I vape there because they understand there is no second hand risk to them and they believe the corporate policies were made out of fear and ignorance. Today we know so much more about e-cigs than they did even 8 months ago when I started studying them. I used two months to study the pros and cons, who was saying what and if they had an agenda before I tried them. I guess word of the truth is trickling down to the common man.

I believe that vapers should be seen and heard. Of course if asked to stop, I won't simply say O.k. I'll put it down and stop - I will use that as an opportunity to educate. I will say I will stop if they insist, but to quell their fears I will demonstrate the e-cig, tell them of the studies that show there is no risk to others, show that they cannot smell it so it would not bother anyone, explain to them it's no different than using a medical nicotine inhaler ( which they could not refuse you to use because it's "medicine") and finally how i believe this wonderful tool has saved my life from a horrible painful death, then ask them to reconsider - but if they insist, I will be happy to stop.

This hasn't happened yet. I do normally talk about all those things when ever people stop me and ask me about the e-cig. people for the most part are curious and want to know more. By me vaping in public I have helped save lives and to me that's what it's all about. That's the best reason to keep vaping everywhere. Just think, your choice to not vape could help cause someone who really needs an e-cig to not be exposed to them, and thus they may die a horrible painful death. At least it's worth a try until they make you stop I believe. Am I out to save the world? YES! Thats just my take on it, you have to do what you are comfortable with.