Study: Texting May Help Smokers Quit Faster

ha ha, here's a new one

Smokers are twice as likely to succeed in quitting if they receive supportive text messages, British researchers have found. The study, published June 30 online in the British medical journal The Lancet, followed 5,800 smokers as they attempted to quit.

One group was sent motivational text messages while another group received "placebo texts" thanking them for participating in the study. Six months after quitting, the participants underwent testing for cotinine, a substance found in nicotine. Those who had received the motivational texts were twice as likely to still be smoke-free.

Full Story Here: http://yourlife.usatoday.com/health/story/2011/06/Study-Texting-may-help-smokers-quit-faster/48988698/1

I'm sorry but I just don't see how someone reading a text msg will help you quit. I'd be reading while I was lighting up.

And how do you send a "placebo text" ? Congrats you idiot...you've been fooled into thinking you're doing well?

This sounds a little like the cigarette companies trying to make people think that e-cigs are a waste of time when all you have to do to quit is text on your I-Phone. BSveryangry.gif

I'm sorry but I just don't see how someone reading a text msg will help you quit. I'd be reading while I was lighting up.

And how do you send a "placebo text" ? Congrats you idiot...you've been fooled into thinking you're doing well?

This sounds a little like the cigarette companies trying to make people think that e-cigs are a waste of time when all you have to do to quit is text on your I-Phone. BSveryangry.gif

:hrhr:

So true. So very true.

:jump:

Thank you for the best laugh I've had in days, snubber.

Hell...if quitting was really that easy we could of all just yelled back and forth at each other and quit a long time ago.

"Hey dumb ***...stop smoking" "yea?...well you're a jerk for smoking 2 packs a day..when you going to quit?"

WOW how easy would that have been?harhar.gif

Edited by snubber