Sudden Atomizer Death Syndrome

Hi all,

I've been around the block a bit in terms of vaping. I just celebrated my TWO YEAR tobacco free anniversary (thank you, thank you). But I'm experiencing a new problem:

The last five (5) 510 atomizers I've purchased, from two different sellers (one of them being the Vapor Talk Store) have just up and died on me after approximately two weeks each. One minute I'm vaping away, the next, zip, nada, atomizer is dead.

Now since I've started vaping, this has never happened to me. Atomizers always die a slow death over the course of a month, or month and a half if I'm lucky. Then I pitch them and screw on a new one. (I am a direct dripper BTW). But this new phenomenon has me puzzled. I use a Joye Ego, no passthrough, just a regular battery and an XL battery each day.

I thought maybe the first three times it happened it was because I bought junk attys (even though they were advertised as "Genuine Joye"), but now that it's happened with two out of the three atomizers I bought from VT Store, I'm really concerned.

What is going on here? Anyone else experiencing this?

I haven't noticed this, but most of my atty stash was bought several months ago. When I was vaping at 6V I was lucky to get 2 weeks from an atty, but since I've dropped to 4.9V I'm getting 4-6 weeks (and quite happy about it). When they die though, most do just stop working suddenly. I've had a few that started performing poorly before dieing, but most just suddenly stop.

Have you checked them with an ohm meter? They might not be bad but just not making a connection.I have had to jiggle and wiggle the center post back out on a few atties and there were a few PV's that were notoriouse for pushing the connecter in,but I cannot remember which ones they were.Also if they get too much liquid in the space between the cup the element is in and the battery connector they will not work as the electrons take a shortcut through the liquid.Blowing them out solves that one.If you are using LR or high voltage they just might be burning out due to getting dry.

That's how most of my attys have died - vaping one minute, the next...nothing. It's sad really. I've never checked mine though. I don't understand the center pin thing.

And a great big CONGRATULATIONS on your second anniversary, Darth! That's a fantastic mile marker!!

Edited by nana

I have had to jiggle and wiggle the center post back out on a few atties

I do check mine, and have had to lift my center pin a few times on my BSB

I'm with Nana - - please explain what you mean about wiggling and/or lifting the center post/pin. :blink: I'm intrigued. . .

That is unusual. I can assure they are Joye Tech. Remember we where the first ones to start calling out other suppliers on fakes. (We got a lot of flack for it too) I'd never risk our reputation to save a couple of bucks. I'd rather be out of stock for 2 weeks than carry low quality product.

The center pole is the tiny circular metal piece located inside the portion of the battery that holds the atomizer. (where all the liquid usually piles up) It normally has a white/tan rubber ring underneath it. The outside of the atomizer holder is negative. That tiny little center pole is the positive portion. The rubber ring is there to stop any shorts. Every so often that center pole drops to low. It's caused from the screwing the atomizers on too tight. You can take a very small pair of pliers or ever better a pair of tweezers and pull up on it.

Also if your using anything other than 3.7v there is a higher chance the atomizer will pop. Getting a month + on high voltage is just lucky :) Atomizers where only designed to last a few weeks. The fact that Joye techs usually last longer is primarily because they are better made.

Chris, thanks for the reply. I've been with VT Forum, as you know, since (nearly) the beginning, and I have never doubted your integrity or that of the VT Store, and I don't now. You are my go-to place for honesty, and you are much appreciated.

I'm still not understanding the center pole concept.

The center pole is the tiny circular metal piece located inside the portion of the battery that holds the atomizer

So you're saying it's the BATTERY that's the problem? I hate to ask this, but is there some thread with pictures to help break it down for me? I don't want to go fiddling around at the battery connection with metal tweezers; knowing me I'll push the button and zap myself into next week. :laser:

The peice we are jiggling back in place is on the attomiser,sometimes they get pushed up a little and do not make contact.Not always the case but something to check.It is always a very good idea to have plenty of atties and or carto's as well as batteries and a passthrough.It bites to get happy not smoking and then suddenly not have your trusty PV as a security blanket.We are pulling for you.Chris ,thanks for being you. :thumbsup:

Edited by mcquinn

• 2 months later...

I have been Vaping for a little over a month and have experienced this with two 510 atty's i blew out the excess Eliquid i rinsed them out even cleaned the threads of the atty and battery as well..I have even tried switching them from one battery to the other to see if possibly there is a problem with one of my manual batteries..Nothing i have done has seemed to make a difference and i am now getting absolutely no vapor from them which has me annoyed as hell :iiam: