Confused!

momala67

We have stopped smoking "normal" cigs for 9 days and have bought the Fifty-One Duo system.... but how can you use the DIY system? I keep reading about vapor drops and not using too much, or not touching the ends.... how do you start this system??? We just buy the filters from the local truck stop!

Welcome to VT Momala.

I'm thinking that the cartomizers you have will have a plastic cap on the mouthpiece, when removed with a toothpick/paperclip/etc. - you should see the batting that holds the juice. If so, you can add juice (from a variety of suppliers out there) and refill your own cartos. They can also be washed out, dried, refilled and re-used. I don't know the specifics of your model, but they do sell blank cartomizers for most units that you can fill from scratch. If your prefilled cartos are as unsatisfying as others I've tested, you'll be glad you tried filling your own.

There are also a lot of great pv's (e-cigs) out there that provide longer lasting battery time, or more versatility in your device in the way you feed it the juice. Poke around here and ask as many questions as you have- the people here are great help!

Congrats on being cig free for 9 days! I'm not too far ahead of you- but it's a great feeling.

Welcome to Vapor Talk. There are a lot of videos out there - and here on the forum - that will show you how to refill your cartridges or cartos. I've never used the device you're using now, so can't give you any specifics, but refilling yourself is a lot cheaper and you'll get much better flavor for sure.

Momala67, welcome to the V|T forums. You will find some very helpful folks and a wealth of information available and easily categorized here. If you can't find something, just ask and I am sure someone will help you out.

Alright.

First things first. (actually second, but who's counting??) Congratulations on making a healthy choice for you and your significant other. (Not that you made the choice for them... You know what I mean.) I am sure you will begin to feel the benefits of not smoking, if you haven't already. I am only 3 weeks analog free and I already feel better than I have in years.

It looks to me (after a quick Google search) that you have a V9/E9 type device. This will be the determining factor on what parts you are able to interchange.(9mm thread 2 piece e-cig.) There are places to get replacements or blank cartos online, and probably for less than you are getting them locally. One thing I noticed while researching Smoke51 was the bevy of customer complaints on DOA cartos. I was wondering how youe experience with this has been. (I have never used this device, and am only curious.) As a couple of folks have stated, cartos are refillable, and there are many videos here and on the web as to the procedure.(As well as cleaning/reuse.)

If you end up not being happy with the duo kit (for whatever reason) there are many options that I feel several people on the forums would agree are probably more cost effective, and have a much higher reliability rate than most of what we term the "convenience store/mall kiosk" models. These include a 510 device which is a cigarette shaped PV (or the eGo which his more cigar sized, but still utilizes the same 510 threaded atomizers/cartomizers.) Understandably, you have an initial investment in this particular model, and want to get as much value out of it as possible.

My concern is, when your batteries crap out on you (all of them do, so nothing against Smoke51) you will not have a backup available, which will increase your chances of going back to those nasty analogs. Folks around here use the motto, "Backups,backups, backups..." Also with the 510 style there are many more manufacturers so with a small amount of research, you should be able to find very good quality at a very affordable price.

The world of vaping is still fairly new, and there are many companies out there who will overcharge for a product with grand claims of carto longevity, or battery life. The fact is it takes some legwork on the part of the consumer to ensure that they are pleased and well served by the products they purchase.

All that being said, happy vaping, and again, don't be afraid to ask any questions. These really are good folks who want to help.^^

Momala67, welcome to the V|T forums. You will find some very helpful folks and a wealth of information available and easily categorized here. If you can't find something, just ask and I am sure someone will help you out.

Alright.

First things first. (actually second, but who's counting??) Congratulations on making a healthy choice for you and your significant other. (Not that you made the choice for them... You know what I mean.) I am sure you will begin to feel the benefits of not smoking, if you haven't already. I am only 3 weeks analog free and I already feel better than I have in years.

It looks to me (after a quick Google search) that you have a V9/E9 type device. This will be the determining factor on what parts you are able to interchange.(9mm thread 2 piece e-cig.) There are places to get replacements or blank cartos online, and probably for less than you are getting them locally. One thing I noticed while researching Smoke51 was the bevy of customer complaints on DOA cartos. I was wondering how youe experience with this has been. (I have never used this device, and am only curious.) As a couple of folks have stated, cartos are refillable, and there are many videos here and on the web as to the procedure.(As well as cleaning/reuse.)

If you end up not being happy with the duo kit (for whatever reason) there are many options that I feel several people on the forums would agree are probably more cost effective, and have a much higher reliability rate than most of what we term the "convenience store/mall kiosk" models. These include a 510 device which is a cigarette shaped PV (or the eGo which his more cigar sized, but still utilizes the same 510 threaded atomizers/cartomizers.) Understandably, you have an initial investment in this particular model, and want to get as much value out of it as possible.

My concern is, when your batteries crap out on you (all of them do, so nothing against Smoke51) you will not have a backup available, which will increase your chances of going back to those nasty analogs. Folks around here use the motto, "Backups,backups, backups..." Also with the 510 style there are many more manufacturers so with a small amount of research, you should be able to find very good quality at a very affordable price.

The world of vaping is still fairly new, and there are many companies out there who will overcharge for a product with grand claims of carto longevity, or battery life. The fact is it takes some legwork on the part of the consumer to ensure that they are pleased and well served by the products they purchase.

All that being said, happy vaping, and again, don't be afraid to ask any questions. These really are good folks who want to help.^^

We have already discovered that this brand is not very good! I want to buy us both new models today - but am still clueless on which brand to buy - I keep seeing the name WICKED over and over - is this the way we should go? Can I just Google the brand or is there a best place to buy it from?? We live close to Dallas and Ft. Worth, so if there is a store here, I can drive to it today... do not want to go back to analog!!!!!!!

We have already discovered that this brand is not very good! I want to buy us both new models today - but am still clueless on which brand to buy - I keep seeing the name WICKED over and over - is this the way we should go? Can I just Google the brand or is there a best place to buy it from?? We live close to Dallas and Ft. Worth, so if there is a store here, I can drive to it today... do not want to go back to analog!!!!!!!

I don't know much about this vendor, but hey have been around for a while. According to their site:

"Local To DFW?

If your local and don't want to wait at the mail box my staff is available for local pick, delivery, and meets.

If your ecig is dead ,lost, or you left your juice at the bar we tend to have a 15min+drive time response.In some cases till 2AM."

You may want to contact them if you're in that much of a rush.

DFW Vapor

What you probably keep hearing is Totall Wicked. They sell the Tornado, which is the same thing as the Joye eGo. There's supporting supplier section at the bottom of this forum with great suppliers that provide excellent customer service.

Honestly, I would slow down a little, read some of the forum, ask questions and do a little research. Don't run in and get something you may not be happy with. On the other hand, most will recommend you get a Joye eGo, and most of our supporting suppliers have those in stock.

First of all, welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place for advice. it is given freely so take what you need. I don't know if there is a place in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area that sells the type of e-cig that a lot of us use. It is the Joye eGo. That is the same thing as the Totally Wicked Tornado. Chris here at Vapor Talk - Vapor Talk Store sells the eGo kits. They are a wonderful unit. What I would buy would be a kit for each of you. There will be pre-filled cartridges with the kit (some come with the non-filled cartridges) and you would want to get some e-liquid to go with the purchase. Here at the Vapor Talk Store you will find all that you would need to get that accomplished. They have some fine e-liquids, just depends on your taste. With that said, if you order from Chris, you would get the kits, (if they are in stock) in a couple of days. They are magicians when it comes to shipping, you order and all of a sudden it is in your mail box. Also, the customer service is second to none. If there is a problem, Chris is on it and it is rectified in an instant. Since you are noobies you will probably be searching for just the right juice, some find it right off and then it takes a while for others. I for one thought I liked the tobacco taste and when I got a few of my taste buds back I decided that tobacco wasn't for me and I like the coffee flavored liquids. You have taken the big step into the world of vaping and let me tell you it is a great world. Now the step into getting the right equipment and you will be all set. Look into the store here and I bet you can find what you need. Then you can play around with the different juices and such but I don't think that you would go wrong with an eGo. I love mine. Good luck on your journey and keep vaping.

Welcome to the forums. the Joye Ego is a good unit for sure, but I would go to liberty flights and get a riva 510 kit. With their 20% off promotion, the Riva kit(which is essentially the same as an ego but better in my opinion) will cost you about half the price of the cheapest joye Ego kits I've seen. So instead of spending $120 or more on a kit for each of you, you could spend $60 and then have an extra $60 lying around to spend on juice(if you don't mind blowing $120 in the first place). The Riva has a larger capacity standard battery(750 mah over the joye ego's 650 mah) and vapes at a slightly higher voltage. Also, this is just a personal preference, but I like the button design much better. It's a soft rubber instead of a hard plastic, and it doesn't stick(stay down after you pressed and released it) like the Ego button does sometimes.

If you go to this link: http://www.liberty-flights.com/product.asp?id=55 and scroll down to the part where it says "Riva 510 lite bundle," you'll see the kit you want there for $29.99.

As for juice, I highly recommend Vapor Renu(www.vaporrenew.com) and VapeRite(www.vaperite.com). Both have excellent flavors in my opinion. I specifically recommend vapor renu though for their amazing selection of flavors and options. Also, it's the cheapest place to get juice that I know of at only about $7 for a bottle of 30ml of juice.

in addition to the riva kit, allow me to recommend you purchase a drip tip and/or some cartomizers. The Riva uses atomizers and cartridges, but you can get cartomizers(that's what the "filter" the unit you have now uses) for it. Make sure they are 510 compatible. You can get pre-filled cartos and just throw them away, but it's much cheaper to buy empty ones and reuse them.

I started with the same exact model, and quickly learned they were easy to refill with the "condom" method.

Also, what appeared to be quite a few dead cartos in my boxes, wasn't that. I found the threads on the cartos and batteries were slightly out of time,(on 2 complete kits, the wifes and mine both). I found that if I backed the carto off the battery, just a few degrees, the carto would come to life.

It's possible you have the same problem.

I went with the Riva, shortly thereafter(ego/riva/kgo/tornado) and am nothing but pleased. I'm no expert, but tht's what I found.

Welcome to the forums. One of my co-workers has the Smoke51 unit and it's pretty impressive for a cig sized automatic battery. I recently got my ego and I'm huge into experimenting and trying new things. If you buy a bottle of your favorite smoke juice you can easily refill the Smoke51 carts. The atomizer goes down into the cart far enough to make contact with the fiber filler so you won't be able to use a standard 510 atty with those carts.

To refill use the end of a paper clip and stick it in the hole of the cap on the mouthpiece. Pry that off and remove the little fiber filter (set that aside). Push the paperclip into the little hole behind the filter to push out the cartridge filler. Drip a few drops of juice in there until the fiber looks wet, but not a puddle. Push the filler back into the cart, replace the filter on the other side and put the cap back on. You're ready to reuse your cartridge.

If you upgrade to a 510 or eGo unit, the smoke51 atomizers will work on that. So you can keep any spares to use the atomizer and carts on an eGo. Hope this helps you and welcome to the awesome world of vaping.

• 1 month later...

We have stopped smoking "normal" cigs for 9 days and have bought the Fifty-One Duo system.... but how can you use the DIY system? I keep reading about vapor drops and not using too much, or not touching the ends.... how do you start this system??? We just buy the filters from the local truck stop!

I also have a Duo 51 and from what I've learned, that is the beauty of these. They use conveniently pre-filled cartridges. You need a different system for the DIY.