Set Off Alarms?

Jagergwen

Try it on your smoke detector at home.They work by detectecting particles .I doubt it work set one off unless you really cloud one up.I just get a cup of coffee and take a big ole stealthy hit and then exhale over the coffee cup whilst taking a sip there is vapor there anyhow.

If I recall correctly, some have said that blowing vapor directly into the alarm will set it off. So, just don't blow it into the alarm. Also, when you take a drag, hold the vapor in for a few extra second before you exhale. This will greatly reduce the amount of vapor you blow out. I vaped on the last flight I was on, but I vaped in my seat - didn't go to the bathroom. After each drag I'd just hold my breath for a few seconds and release the vapor slowly. Turn on the overhead vent so it's flowing on you. :)

we tried to set off our smoke alarm with vaping. Both my husband and I were blowing clouds of vapor at it continuously and NOTHING. Smoke detectors are supposed to detect smoke and heat. Vapor, while warm in your mouth, but the time it is by the detector is not hot enough, and it doesn't produce smoke particles. This same detector we tried to set off has gone off from a mildly burnt piece of toast in the toaster AND also when it has gotten really warm with baking an extended amount of time. We just fan it and open a window. But for instance, the bathroom is like an equal distance from it, as is our laundry room, and the heat and steam from either of those places doesn't set it off. Assuming an airplane smoke/heat detector is a similar device I am guessing it wouldn't. BUT there is a way around the whole thing. You do NOT have to exhale vapor like you do with smoke. You can just swallow the vapor. Smoke you exhale because you would start coughing most likely with an substantial drag. But the vapor doesn't do anything to harm you by NOT exhaling it. Just like when people get breathing treatments in a hospital....that is all it is, salt water (saline solution) and medicine, and they don't exhale it, they aren't even supposed to. Inhaling vapor and not exhaling it will not harm you in the least little bit. I do it all the time in restaurants and other places where I don't want to blow billowing clouds of vapor. You could also make sure you blow it away from any detector, at the ground, etc. it would dissipate long before it could reach any detector.

we tried to set off our smoke alarm with vaping. Both my husband and I were blowing clouds of vapor at it continuously and NOTHING. Smoke detectors are supposed to detect smoke and heat. Vapor, while warm in your mouth, but the time it is by the detector is not hot enough, and it doesn't produce smoke particles. This same detector we tried to set off has gone off from a mildly burnt piece of toast in the toaster AND also when it has gotten really warm with baking an extended amount of time. We just fan it and open a window. But for instance, the bathroom is like an equal distance from it, as is our laundry room, and the heat and steam from either of those places doesn't set it off. Assuming an airplane smoke/heat detector is a similar device I am guessing it wouldn't. BUT there is a way around the whole thing. You do NOT have to exhale vapor like you do with smoke. You can just swallow the vapor. Smoke you exhale because you would start coughing most likely with an substantial drag. But the vapor doesn't do anything to harm you by NOT exhaling it. Just like when people get breathing treatments in a hospital....that is all it is, salt water (saline solution) and medicine, and they don't exhale it, they aren't even supposed to. Inhaling vapor and not exhaling it will not harm you in the least little bit. I do it all the time in restaurants and other places where I don't want to blow billowing clouds of vapor. You could also make sure you blow it away from any detector, at the ground, etc. it would dissipate long before it could reach any detector.

geez, ignore my numerous typos....I need sleep, LOL

Vapor WILL set off some "smoke" detectors (actually particle detectors) if you blow directly into them. I'm talking from personal experience (I tested this over a year ago out of curiousity). That said, I just went to Costa Rica a few weeks ago and had no trouble discreetly vaping in my seat on the plane and at the airport. Good luck to you!!!

I have vaped in several airline restrooms and have yet to set off the alarm. Then again, I don't blow directly into the smoke detector. I just vape normal--only time i don't stealth vape while on airplane or airport. Not had a problem yet.

Have fun with those smoke detectors Jag !!!

TRUST me when I say...it will set off the alarm. (I travel a lot, I've...how should I say...learned a few things on the way) :lol:

If the vapor does not set off your alarm it's probably an older model (and should be replaced). Vapor will set of most modern "smoke alarms." Modern Smoke alarms do not detect smoke per say but rather a particle change in the environment. If you wish to vape on an Airplane of course, check with the Airline first. (Legally I can't tell you anything else) THEN once they give you the ok, blow the vapor into your shirt. I've heard it works great ;)

It is worth noting that American Airlines has actually amended their policies to expressly banned the activation of e-cigs

"As a result of Federal legislation effective July 1, 1997, all American Airlines and American Eagle flights are nonsmoking. In addition, the activation of electronic “e-cigarettes” is not allowed nor is smoking permitted on any of the flights operated by American’s codeshare partners, including those who belong to the global oneworld Alliance. However, SNCF French Rail in Europe still allows smoking, and American codeshares on many of SNCF’s rail routes to and from Paris."

Just thought it was worth mentioning, to my knowledge they are the only airline to have done so.