Which coil is which: TOPBOX Starter Kit

I just picked up a topbox mini (75w) starter kit.

Foolishly, I filled the tank up with juice not know which coil came installed on the tank.

According to the box the kit includes three coils.

1) .15 Ni 200 TC

2) .5 SS TC

3) .5 clapton

The box contains two coils aside from the one that came in the tank. One has a black o-ring on it, the other has a red/pink o-ring. The LED on my MOD is displaying .24 ohm to further confuse things...

Anyone familiar with this tank and its coils?

I would like to know:

A) which coil is currently in the tank

B) which coil has the black o ring

C) which coil has the red/pink o ring

I am using cuttwood juice with 70% VG

- any suggestions on which coil/ wattage combo to use?

One last question, is TC just another way to adjust the wattage? For example by using TC mode to adjust the mod from 300 to 400 degrees is the unit adjusting the wattage to achieve this change in temperature?

Thanks very much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black gasket is the Clapton

Red/pink gasket is Nichrome/SS316L

The blue gasket is Ni200

Looks like you have the Ni coil in the tank, you should be using the Ni mode in TC. TC pulses the wattage to keep the coil at a set temperature. The only coil you have that you cannot use in TC is the Clapton, it uses Kanthal wire. There is a NiCr mode with the Kanger 75w that can be used for Nichrome wire, and a SS mode for SS wire.

Take your tank off, press the fire button until the ohms display flashes 9.99 then reinstall the tank and it should ask if its a new coil, press the + button for yes, and you should get a more accurate ohms reading. assuming you have it in the correct mode for the coil installed.

Black gasket is the Clapton

Red/pink gasket is Nichrome/SS316L

The blue gasket is Ni200

Looks like you have the Ni coil in the tank, you should be using the Ni mode in TC. TC pulses the wattage to keep the coil at a set temperature. The only coil you have that you cannot use in TC is the Clapton, it uses Kanthal wire. There is a NiCr mode with the Kanger 75w that can be used for Nichrome wire, and a SS mode for SS wire.

Take your tank off, press the fire button until the ohms display flashes 9.99 then reinstall the tank and it should ask if its a new coil, press the + button for yes, and you should get a more accurate ohms reading. assuming you have it in the correct mode for the coil installed.

Thanks very much. This info seems to be correct, I found an article that explained what you outlined above. So currently I am using the blue Ni200 coil, which should have a resistance of .15 ohm. I set the mod to TC mode for Ni, Removed the tank. Reinstalled the tank, chose "yes, new tank" it's reading .22 oms... Should be .15. Is this a problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really a problem if that's the correct reading, it shouldn't be that far off, but with factory coils its possible. I have found very few factory coils that read exactly what's it supposed to read. try starting at 370f, and go up or down, depending on what you like. Always make sure the coil is at room temperature when setting a coil, or the reading may be off.

I will try to explain how temperature control works, The metal your coil is made from has a TCR (temperature coefficient of resistance) as the coil gets hotter the resistance increases, the mod measures the resistance change, when it gets to the proper resistance it pulses the wattage to keep the coil at the resistance, it should be to stay at a certain temp. All metals have a different TCR that is why you have to match the mode setting to the type of metal your coil is made of. Most mods assume the temp is at 20C or 68F when you set the coil. If you find this confusing that's ok, I think I confused myself.