Terrible Terrible Day...

So today was the day my former land lords took me to court and i had no idea why, other than the fact they wanted money for some unknown reason.. I had all my pictures i took when everything was moved out and everything looked spotless for the most part. Then they came up with some pics and the floor looked flooded and they said the washer and dryer was out of order and could not be fixed.. the fridge was the same and so were both of the toilets.. LOL How the heck can anyone live like that??? It for sure wasn't me, but i guess that's what i get for not taking pictures of every little thing. and when i looked at more details of the pics it was the same washer and dryer... same fridge. But of course they had new flooring cuz they flooded it themselves. I CAN NOT BELIEVE this judge ruled in their favor when i had pics that showed the floor didn't look like that when i left. $4,999 for something i had nothing to do with, we did the walkthrough and everything and there was no problem then... But of course they said i didn't do a walkthrough LOL... I rented from these people for 6 years(never once late on my rent and even payed my rent during Katrina) and figured i could trust them and not have to worry about signing anything for the walkthrough. FML

I mean seriously and on top of all that i lost my Ego PT in the parking lot somewhere... I'm not gonna lie i went directly to the store to buy a pack of cigarettes and i was walking out of the store there was a homeless man that was asking for change.. I thought to myself no matter how bad today is it could most certainly be worse. So i gave him the pack and $4 and some change that i had leftover from the cigarettes. I'm not gonna let those scum bags get me down.. I did fold for a minute but i just waited till i got home to load up my other PT.

So yea thanks for listening, i plan on appealing the case if it's worth it... Now that I'm looking at some of the receipts most of them were from before I moved out and not once did they make ANY repairs. I did it all myself and payed for it as well and i never asked for a deduction for rent or anything like that.

:censored::wallbash:

There's got to be some place that you can find some legal advice on the matter. Way to keep your head up though. I hope it all works out.

I just noticed .. we're neighbors!

Yea I'm gonna be in contact with an attorney tomorrow and see if it's even worth it... I got advice from a lawyer friend of mine and he said see what happens and then if it doesn't go in your favor then we'll go from there. But i didn't know they were gonna go to that extent and flood that darn place.. Oh well hopefully things will go in my favor next time and I'll be more prepared then cuz now i know what they're trying to do. I'm a strong believer in karma

Yea we are... Gotta love the Gulf Coast area :thumbsup:

That just totally sux. Hopefully you hung onto your repair receipts. That judge should be reminded that broken appliances , plumbing, roofing etc. All fall under the homeowners insurance because they are normal occurances that need prompt attention in order to protect the investment of the property and the health and safety of the people. Best of luck to you in your fight.

And here I thought my day started bad when hubby broke our Modem this morning. Thank goodness for Android

exactly what i was thinking Uma, how the judge could find you guilty of something that is not in your domain as a renter, like the general upkeep of major appliances, unless GROSS NEGLEGANCE is PROVEN. Just because the fridge went out (as example) 2 weeks after you moved in, doesn't mean you are responsible for paying for it.

I'd be getting with that attorney friend of yours, and looking up your states renter's rights.

*I am not a lawyer, do not take anything i say to be fact, blah blah blah :lol:

Yea everything worked just fine.. I wish i would've recorded EVERY LITTLE THING. I pretty much just sat there and took it after i made my statements, i kinda knew it would go in their favor for some reason. But there's no reason that is my fault when i didn't even do anything to their property but take care of it for them while i was there. I will be getting that attorney cuz I KNOW they flooded that property on purpose. I don't see how my pics i took when everything was moved out wasn't enough evidence that i did nothing wrong.

Thanks for the help... I really appreciate you guys helping me get through this disaster :unworthy:

Chin up you are right about the Karma. I was really touched that despite how horrible your day was going you stopped and felt compassion for someone less fortunate. I believe that things have a way of happening if you just look for them, like the homeless guy. It shifted your whole perspective. I wouldn't back down, right is right.

I am soooooo sorry you had such a terrible day. I learned the same lesson a LONG time ago with a landlord. YOU NEVER EVER leave the walkthrough without a signed document, signed by BOTH parties as to EXACTLY what the condition of any damage or problems are, or something saying everything was fine. THAT would have prevented this entire thing. But of course that does no good now. It is a he said she said type thing and unfortunately many tenants do trash properties. My sister once had a landlord, when she moved out, she had a list from him, that literally listed how many nail holes per room he had to patch and he was charging a two bucks a hole. He found HUNDREDS of holes, of course she can't prove that she did or didn't put them all there, which she said she didn't, but she can't prove it, so it sucks. SO it is equally important that when you rent a place you go through with the landlord and get a SIGNED itemized list of EVERY single issue, no matter how idiotic or minor you might think it is, and have PROOF of damage that existed when you got there. The whole thing just really sucks and I really feel bad for you. On the upside I am sure it will never happen again because I am pretty sure you will never walk away without having signed documents after a walk through.

I am really glad you didn't give in and smoke.....honestly I don't know if I would have or not. I have been vaping almost a year, BUT I have taken a drag off a friend's cig here and there just to see how awful it was, LOL. Yeah, tasted nasty, BUT every time I started smoking again in the past 30 years it tasted nasty, but you keep doing it and become immune to the nastiness again. SO good for you that you didn't smoke!!! Things will get better, and yes, there is always someone who is in a worse situation than we are. Sometimes when things suck it is hard to remember that, at least you recognized that. I hope things start looking up for you VERY SOON!!!!

I am soooooo sorry you had such a terrible day. I learned the same lesson a LONG time ago with a landlord. YOU NEVER EVER leave the walkthrough without a signed document, signed by BOTH parties as to EXACTLY what the condition of any damage or problems are, or something saying everything was fine. THAT would have prevented this entire thing. But of course that does no good now. It is a he said she said type thing and unfortunately many tenants do trash properties. My sister once had a landlord, when she moved out, she had a list from him, that literally listed how many nail holes per room he had to patch and he was charging a two bucks a hole. He found HUNDREDS of holes, of course she can't prove that she did or didn't put them all there, which she said she didn't, but she can't prove it, so it sucks. SO it is equally important that when you rent a place you go through with the landlord and get a SIGNED itemized list of EVERY single issue, no matter how idiotic or minor you might think it is, and have PROOF of damage that existed when you got there. The whole thing just really sucks and I really feel bad for you. On the upside I am sure it will never happen again because I am pretty sure you will never walk away without having signed documents after a walk through.

I am really glad you didn't give in and smoke.....honestly I don't know if I would have or not. I have been vaping almost a year, BUT I have taken a drag off a friend's cig here and there just to see how awful it was, LOL. Yeah, tasted nasty, BUT every time I started smoking again in the past 30 years it tasted nasty, but you keep doing it and become immune to the nastiness again. SO good for you that you didn't smoke!!! Things will get better, and yes, there is always someone who is in a worse situation than we are. Sometimes when things suck it is hard to remember that, at least you recognized that. I hope things start looking up for you VERY SOON!!!!

I can't believe that about the nail holes... That is just absurd. But yea i own now so I'll never have to go through that again. I should've known better about the walkthrough and i took them as friends because we had a pretty good relationship throughout my stay at their residence.

Lesson learned

Sorry about your day. But don't take it sitting down. Sounds like they just wanted a way to get new repairs and things for THEIR house. Hope it all works out in your favor.