The Darwin From Evolv

mutt

Got this Email from evolv:

Dear Friends:

Thank you for your interest in the "Darwin", the first powered regulated Mod.

We are looking at an initial sales date of early January 2011. Sales will be by Internet order only and will come complete with Long Life Rechargeable batteries and charger at NO additional cost.

There will be no pre-orders and the price will be $229.00.

Units will be shipped anywhere in the world that permits the importation of such devices.

There will be a 2 year warranty against manufacturing defects on the device, with a 1 year warranty on the batteries. In addition, EVOLV will offer a "No questions asked" 1 week return for refund if you are not completely satisfied with your purchase.

I will continue to keep you posted via email of any future information updates as the launch approaches. You can also visit us at www.evolvapor.com by 12/28/10 for more information and photo's.

Thank you for your patience and we look forward to becoming your Vaping device of choice.

Best Wishes

Wow... I have to admit, that's pretty steep in my opinion. I suppose I wouldn't think that if I just loved the looks of the unit though... I don't know. That ranks right up there with the most expensive devices I've seen. Hope everything works out for them! :thumbsup:

Wow... I have to admit, that's pretty steep in my opinion. I suppose I wouldn't think that if I just loved the looks of the unit though... I don't know. That ranks right up there with the most expensive devices I've seen. Hope everything works out for them! :thumbsup:

Too deep for my pocket, off the waiting list.

While a vv device will change the voltage and at the same time change the amps, the Darwin controls the voltage and the amps independently

Ever heard of Ohm's Law?

The relationship of Voltage, Current (amps), Resistance (ohms) and Power (watts) is well known and easily predictable.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ohms_law.htm

There is no "controls the voltage and the amps independently", when one changes the others follow... period.

If you take ANY high voltage mod on the market or homemade, screw on a LR atty, what usually happens? You pop your atty right? Now take the same device, an take 4-5 consecutive drags off of it, what happens? Usually the tip gets extremely hot, the vapor becomes weaker. Why is this? Because as the atty heats up, the resistance of the atty changes, but the device doesnt make any adjustments and just keeps blasting power to the atty.

That makes no sense. The atty gets hot because you are using it and the tube and connector have now heated up and are influencing the vapor as this heat is being transferred to the vapor. The cone on the eGo was designed to maximize and use this created/retained heat. It has nothing to do with any resistance change, which in this case will actually be higher (by maybe an undetectable 0.2Ω), a common flashlight mod will also make these 'adjustments' to resistance changes as AMP draw is related to resistance. And because the entire atty is now hot adjusting 1,000 times a second means nothing. It will take more than a few milliseconds for any temperature changes to register, quite a few actually.

This has nothing on the ProVari, which is quite efficient, uses easy to get cells, and has a host of safety features and comes from an established and well regarded vendor.

Hey now, I've been following the Darwin thread on ECF, and many of those guys will tell you that they don't know anything about or understand Ohms law, and you are just a hater for trying to run down the Darwin. Regardless of ohms law, the Darwin is superior because it controls wattage instead of voltage or amperage. Apparently the resistance fluctuates so badly in an atomizer as it is being used, the controlling these variations with wattage rather than holding consistent voltage is the future of PV's.

Let's apply a little ohm'd law and see where things go.

If you start out with an atty that is 3.2ohms cold, and you apply 5volts to it, that will result in 1.56amps of current. That much current at 5volts is going to be 7.813watts (heat).

So what happens if that atty drops to 3.0ohms (0.2ohm drop as Will suggested) when hot? 5volts divided by 3ohms is 1.66amps, and that would be 8.33watts (heat).

That is a difference of 0.517 (half a watt), and the Darwin would have to readjust the voltage to bring the power back down to 7.813watts.

There are the numbers, you can decide for yourself if it's worth $229.00 plus shipping.

By the way, it is very troubling when someone says that they don't understand OR CARE about ohm's law, when that is all that matters in how a PV works. It is also troubling that someone would refference ohm's law to slam something without doing the math to prove a claim that it won't matter.

Edited by miatafrank

If I set the Darwin to vape at 10 watts, will it self adjust, so that regardless of the atty I put on it will vape at 10 watts?

That does seem to be the concept behind it, but more importantly is what happens with the same atty. What happens when you heat something up?, it expands. and when the coil of the atty expands the larger surface area causes the resistance to go down, and the amount of curent it caries to go up. An increase in current at the same voltage will cause the power (wattage) to also increase. The Darwin claims to sense these changes and make constant adjustments to the voltage to atempt to hold the power constant.

That does seem to be the concept behind it, but more importantly is what happens with the same atty. What happens when you heat something up?, it expands. and when the coil of the atty expands the larger surface area causes the resistance to go down, and the amount of curent it caries to go up. An increase in current at the same voltage will cause the power (wattage) to also increase. The Darwin claims to sense these changes and make constant adjustments to the voltage to atempt to hold the power constant.

Well if it can do all that, then sign me up :)

In the ohm's law calculations I made in my previous post, it would take a voltage adjustment of only 0.34volts to get you back to the same power. The question is, can you notice the difference of 0.34volts in taste, feel, or vapor production? Answer that, and you'll know if it is worth it to you.

In the ohm's law calculations I made in my previous post, it would take a voltage adjustment of only 0.34volts to get you back to the same power. The question is, can you notice the difference of 0.34volts in taste, feel, or vapor production? Answer that, and you'll know if it is worth it to you.

Good point. I dont think I would be able to notice that.

What about the opposite?

Look at the numbers I posted. Unless the resistance of the atty varies ALOT more than 0.2ohms, the voltage change it compensates with is maybe a third of a volt, and that's not going to make an atty last longer or shorten it's life.

Those of you who have gotten a provari, the provari can display the resistance of the atty right?. Could someone look at the resistance cold, hot box it for bit, and measure it again (very quickly so as not to let it cool down). This will tell us just how much the atty resistance varies, and we can figure out how much voltage change the Darwin would compensate with. That would put to rest just how worth it the Darwin would be.

Cold it was 2.8

Very hot it was 2.7

:)

Let's look at IcaBod's (Mr Darwin) original claims (actually lies).

Originally Posted by IcaBoD

*Tons of vapor and TH. A variable voltage only regulates voltage, amps are left to fluctuate wildly causing good hits and bad ones and as the batteries weaken the vapor is reduced.

Now that you have a VV mod have you found his claims to be true?

variable voltage only regulates voltage... and as the batteries weaken the vapor is reduced.

Are you getting "good hits and bad ones" and as your batteries weaken is the vapor being reduced?

Cold it was 2.8

Very hot it was 2.7

There you have it. With real numbers, real calculations, and real world measurements, the results can't lie.

Conclusions:

Darwin, nice well built mod? - Ok, I'll give it that.

Features all they claim to be? - Not from what I see.

Well worth $229? - You decide

I don't believe you. I think you should send me your ProVari so I can check for myself. Don't worry, I'll send it back..... when mine comes in.

Its worth the wait Travis. :thumbsup:

I have been using regulated voltage mods since June and I have never once had a bad or inconsistent hits at all. Not even for short periods of time. Never. This spans 3 different models. Once in a while the resistance of an atty will shoot up to 6.0 or much greater, just as the atty was about to die but other than those expected occurrences, the devices are impeccably consistent.

I am all for new mods and new takes on ideas, that is the catalyst of product development. I am, however, suspicious of any device that makes claims that are not consistent with established physics. Similar to the unfounded claims of IMR batteries in basic devices (was the rage last spring/early summer), I think these claims are counter to strong product development.

Will and Frank beat me to but as someone familiar with Joules law, I also call shenanigans.

Edited by Burn

Its worth the wait Travis. :thumbsup:

Lol I'm sure it is Jeff. I was simply making an offer to willingly sacrifice my time and energy by doing the test myself and then reporting back to the forums, in order for all of us to gain and confirm knowledge, of course. It is simply a sacrifice that I am willing to make, all for you guys.

I'm simply one of those guys that strive to make the world a better place. Through sheer effort and determination, I set aside my own needs and try to contribute where I can by doing things like offering to test a product I desperately want to try, tasting food that looks good when I'm hungry, and I even offer free breast exams to select women, even though I am not a doctor and I am unqualified, I try.

So the next time you guys begin to lose faith in humanity, just remember, there are people like me out there, doing what we can!.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines